What if MOOG MUSIC were to produce a new polophonic synth...

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:58 pm

Modular Poly Thing- "The Sweet Sound of Dismemberment." Ad campaign. I better get a kickback for this.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:48 pm

LeRoi wrote:I am totally OK with them not doing a poly synth and continuing to build mono synths geared toward performance. I will always get more use out of a patchable mono thing than a poly "beast."
+1

There's a few analog polys currently out there already, I've got two (P'08, A6).

If Moog release a polysynth, it'll be the whole discrete vs. chip argument again. I'm happy with them producing fat monos, unique controllers and beautiful effects.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:51 pm

latigid on wrote: If Moog release a polysynth, it'll be the whole discrete vs. chip argument again.
With all due respect, I have to disagree. There are very few, if any, transistors in the Little Phatty. I think in this day in age where chips are not only more common, but are of the finest quality available, that only TRUE analog purists (the ones who REFUSE to acknowledge the Voyager as a TRUE Moog), would be the ones making this argument. While there are several analog synths, there are no Moog polysynths, and therein lies the issue. Those of us pulling for a Moog polysynth want a synth that not only sounds like a Moog, but looks like a Moog. And we want it to cost as much as a Moog Guitar or less. Which may be impossible. A thousand dollars per voice would still be reasonable, though. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:18 pm

Perhaps you're right, Voltor. A "Curtis" PolyVoyager probably wouldn't sound exactly like a Voyager (or several chained together), but would probably have its own sound.

I guess the problem would be sourcing those chips. History has shown us that this process tends to sink synthesizer companies.

N.B. IMO there is a difference between putting a transistor array on a single chip (makes sense, then you don't have to match them by hand) and putting e.g. a VCF on a chip. Moog filters probably sound the way they do because of the almost discrete nature of the circuit.

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:54 pm

Im sorry but a Voyager is a true Moog. Bob Designed it. If they are any more "Purist" than that they can kiss my ass. Oh I guess True Moog means from the Trumansburg factory.
Big Briar is just as much Moog as anything else.

Voltor you know how to get me started.

If Moog did a thang with curtis chips they woudl be following in the footsteps of others. Moog is the INDUSTRY LEADER. Don't forget that , grasshopper.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:35 am

latigid on wrote: N.B. IMO there is a difference between putting a transistor array on a single chip (makes sense, then you don't have to match them by hand) and putting e.g. a VCF on a chip. Moog filters probably sound the way they do because of the almost discrete nature of the circuit.
Yeah, I'll go along with this statement. Very good points, and all of them very likely. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:40 am

EricK wrote:
Voltor you know how to get me started.
Yes, yes I do. :twisted:
EricK wrote:Moog is the INDUSTRY LEADER. Don't forget that , grasshopper.

Yes, yes they are. Which is why I am so confident that they can pull off a polysynth. :wink:

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:34 am

EricK wrote: If Moog did a thang with curtis chips they woudl be following in the footsteps of others. Moog is the INDUSTRY LEADER. Don't forget that , grasshopper.
Well despite this the MemoryMoog sounds incredible. It has Curtis chips...

Mine sounds incredible..what a synth...
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:31 am

I thought about that when I posted that but I took into account how many problems they had so I neglected to mention it.
Considering that the technology today would allow them to probably overcome all of the difficulties associated with that model I could very well be wrong. Maybe though the possibillity exists that going that route again might not fit into their criteria for a new product release.

Also, it has been brought up that some "Purists" don't consider the Voyager to be a "true" Moog product. If you wanted to use that same logic (I don't) it could be argued that the MemoryMoog wasn't a true Moog. Im not going so far as to argue that point though.

I guess the only real difference is in the waveshapes right?

How does a pure wave from a curtis chip sound compared to any other?
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

ikazlar

Post by ikazlar » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:13 pm

Guys,

is it my idea or most of the times I hear the Memorymoog, the Andromeda comes to mind? These guys at Alesis did a very good job (pity I hate that company and their awful support).

But I was just listening to examples on Youtube and I can *definitely* hear my Andromeda there.

I am so happy, lol.. :D
The walls of Jericho were brought down by a Minimoog.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:25 pm

ikazlar wrote:Guys,

is it my idea or most of the times I hear the Memorymoog, the Andromeda comes to mind? These guys at Alesis did a very good job (pity I hate that company and their awful support).

But I was just listening to examples on Youtube and I can *definitely* hear my Andromeda there.

I am so happy, lol.. :D
An Alesis still isn't a Moog. The MemoryMoog had Curtis oscillators, which is why it sounds similar to an Andromeda. The Andromeda does not have a very nice interface, IMHO.

YouTube is NOT the best place to hear a MemoryMoog, either. The compression makes it sound like a software synth. :lol:[/quote]

ikazlar

Post by ikazlar » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:29 pm

Well, yeah I didn't say Alesis is Moog and I know that Youtube is no place to judge synthesizers. But the tone quality is definitely there.

I also trust MC :)

And what don't you like about the Andromeda interface? Everything is there in front of you. Even if it's not, it won't be more than 1-2 buttons away

:-)

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:43 pm

Other than the fact that the operating system froze up while I was testing it in the music store and the keyboard would only play a C# sawtooth wave the whole time while it was froze, I guess it was alright. The guy behind the counter said, "Yeah, it does that. Just turn it off and turn it on again," I said to myself, I said, "Self, don't buy this trash heap," :lol: Maybe they're better now? This was about six years ago. Maybe longer.

ikazlar

Post by ikazlar » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:51 pm

Hey voltor,

I understand exactly! You just played with a lemon, that's all. I have had my Andromeda since Feb 2004 and its sound is absolutely delicious.

Ok, I have a slight and occassional problem with the values jumping here and there, but I am having it serviced soon. I think it's probably dust.

I think this batch of Andromedas is worse than ever. No quality tests, no nothing. I hate them - they almost ruined the A6 with their awful support. :evil:

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:03 pm

ikazlar wrote:Hey voltor,

I understand exactly! You just played with a lemon, that's all. I have had my Andromeda since Feb 2004 and its sound is absolutely delicious.

Ok, I have a slight and occassional problem with the values jumping here and there, but I am having it serviced soon. I think it's probably dust.

I think this batch of Andromedas is worse than ever. No quality tests, no nothing. I hate them - they almost ruined the A6 with their awful support. :evil:
Isn't Alesis known for lemons? Their line of keyboard amps are kind of lemon-scented too. :roll: