What if MOOG MUSIC were to produce a new polophonic synth...

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:52 am

Christopher Winkels wrote:
EricK wrote:Ive commented before that Moog hasn't had that great of a history with its attempts at polysynths. Not that the Memory wasn't awesome....when it worked. Not that the Polymoog wasn't awesome...when it worked
For all intents and purposes that was a different company. Different facilities, different staff, different products. There isn't even chain-of-control; the company was essentially non-existent for more than a decade. Is there anyone working for Moog in 2009 that was there in 1979? It's a little like saying there's no way democracy could ever work; the Athenians tried it and look how that fared. :wink:
I realize that, and with the improvements in technology too it could certianly be done. I think they would probably be really expensive. THe Modular Synths I believe still cost about as much as they did originally with inflation considered. Im not saying Moog is doomed, Im just saying they bankrupted themselves trying to do it before. But, looking at the fact that they threw out a 6k guitar, they might can put a synth out there that costs that much and get some sales. Korg did with the Oaysis.
Im not foreboding doom for Moog shoudl they try, Im just making a point based on history.
dlearyus wrote: ive wanted one since i was 13 in 1971
If only wanting one could be appraised, I think wed all have Moog stock.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Vince Ascoli

Post by Vince Ascoli » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:02 pm

I think that if a polyphonic Moog instrument is really being developed at this time, then I'd be grateful if Moog would communicate actively with this user community - we're the ones who are going to actually be buying it and playing it. I think keeping it a big secret, would be kind of trite at this point. This would be a boutique instrument, not a mainstream sample playback, computerized Fantom-or Motif- killer. We're all looking for an analog polysynth, right? So who's the competition, in this day & age?? Clearly, it isn't going to be cheap, that's certainly not our expectation. My hope is, we'd be looking at some kind of hybrid of a MemoryMoog and a Prophet T8, especially in terms of features like a nicely weighted keyboard and polyphonic aftertouch. As an owner of a Jupiter-8, OB-8 and Prophet-600 (if you underestimate this synth, then it's your loss) and past owner of MemoryMoogs, Prophet-Vs, a Chroma and an Andromeda, my expectations are significant but not unreasonable. I'm also interested in a build quality beyond the Prophet 08; all the specimens of that synth I've played with, have had wobbly knobs and I'm sure I'm not the only one who would rather not see the PB/mod wheels up on the panel, as opposed to just to the left of the keys. Ask us what we want, consult with us, look closely at synth history and the existing body of knowledge (um, CS80) meet our reasonable expectations - and we'll buy it. Period, no speculation, no drama. Just tell me when to send my deposit...cheers!

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:21 am

I have to reiterate my point that while my definition of a "Boutique" manufacturer might not be orthodox, I don't think that Moog qualifies as purely a boutique maker.

I think a boutique instrument is one that is unique that fills a niche that no other company wants to try to fufill, whereas Moog is and always has been an industry leader that other companies try to emulate.

I don't think that we would have all of the innovations in software plugins that we have today had it not been for Dr Moog in 1964 putting together his abominatron.

my two pisos

EricK

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:44 am

EricK wrote:I have to reiterate my point that while my definition of a "Boutique" manufacturer might not be orthodox, I don't think that Moog qualifies as purely a boutique maker...

I don't think that we would have all of the innovations in software plugins that we have today had it not been for Dr Moog in 1964 putting together his abominatron.

my two pisos

EricK
The first statement, I agree with. The second quoted statement is a reluctantly accepted statement which is ultimately, IMO, true. I hate software plugins. :evil:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:24 pm

I have both the arturia and the modular Moog plugins (although I don'/t use themn anymore) and Ive used fruityloops and steinbergs wavelab and they are all very nice programs.

If it works it works.

It never will take the place of having a pot to manipulate though.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:31 pm

There's a difference between it working and it working well. I buy gear for the sake of using gear. I am a hobbyist, who enjoys creating sounds and developing strings of notes. Therefore plugins do me no good. For a producer or musician, such as yourself, it makes sense to use plugins. It all comes down to modulars in the end, Arturia, .com, or whatever. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:12 pm

Im sure theres a plugin with your name on it. It just becomes one of the many many tools in ones arsenal.

Just like sampling.

Its one of those to each his own sort of deals.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:19 pm

EricK wrote: Its one of those to each his own sort of deals.
Aye, let's leave it at that, then...until plugins are brought up again. :mrgreen: But what of this Moog poly HARDWARE synth, I wonder? :?

dlearyus

Off Topic re:plugins

Post by dlearyus » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:50 pm

What I'd REALLY love for vsti's is a Lemur :) ....total Star Trek lol

Cheers ;)

DL

addendum - they're around $2000.00
Last edited by dlearyus on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ColorForm2113

Re: Off Topic re:plugins

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:42 pm

dlearyus wrote:What I'd REALLY love for vsti's is a Lemur :) ....total Star Trek lol

Cheers ;)

DL
that jazzmutant stuff is incredible! I've seen videos of daft punk and nin using them. I would never beable to afford one of those, aren't the touch screen thing like $7000

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:14 am

I would love a Moog polysynth...

If it had the vibe of a Memorymoog, six to eight voices. And maybe a feature list between the voyager and the Phatty. Maybe 2 osc's and then a very basic sub osc for extra girth. The panel could be like an expanded version of the LP... And a 10 digit key pad would be great. As well as C/V ins and outs for all the foogers and stuff.

I have a Prophet '08, and while the knobs are wobbly, they seem to work well and haven't broken on mine (knock on wood). It also sounds great - not like a Moog, but it's still a great sounding instrument. There are things I wish it had, but it's a great instrument at a good price.

I've owned an Andromeda. I loved that synth... when it worked. A few months after I got it, it became a $3K paperweight. If someone could make an Andromeda that actually WORKED, that would be pretty much a perfect product in my eyes. I know very few people that haven't had probems with them, and I know a lot of people who have... Unfortunately, that seems to be consistent across all of their keyboard products... Great ideas with poor quality control. How many times do you see an Alesis board and something isn't quite right with it? Maybe it's something small, like a line of pixels out in a display, or in the case of my A6, it just became unplayable after a few months, crash prone, etc.

But I digress...

If Moog could find a way to make a decent polysynth without breaking the bank, even if it were based more on the LP than the Voyager, they could maybe save money on the interface. That doesn't seem impossible to me.