In what way do you implement your Moog in your setup?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Maskin

In what way do you implement your Moog in your setup?

Post by Maskin » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:39 pm

For me it depends on what I'm working on. If I do techno related stuff I use mine for basslines (of course) and sometimes I use my second Little Phatty for kicks but I try not to do that very often because I'm only able to bring one Phatty with me when I perform live (otherwise the rig would be too large).
I also use the 103 and 104Z together with my Dynacord tape echo to create lush phase-shifting delays for chords.

If I do more retro stuff like Berlin-school or disco I tend to use both Phatties, one for sequencing and one for leads and sound effects. Also the 102 comes in handy for outerspace sound effects. I use the 103 and 104Z to spice up certain elements in the music (delayed sequences or phased leads for instance).

If I'm in a modular mood I'll just hook up every piece of Moog equipment I have and create the most complex patches I possibly can (and still trying to make it sound good in a musical way).

So, how do you use your Moog(s)? :D
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:21 pm

Until I get my own studio set up, my Moogs ARE my set up. I've got the LPAGSE hooked up to my 'Foogers running out to my amp. Also, I use hand drums and harmonica sometimes. That's it. Eventually, an electronic drum kit (completely homemade, BTW) and my Farfisa will join the setup. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:28 pm

Voltor07 wrote:Until I get my own studio set up, my Moogs ARE my set up. I've got the LPAGSE hooked up to my 'Foogers running out to my amp. Also, I use hand drums and harmonica sometimes. That's it. Eventually, an electronic drum kit (completely homemade, BTW) and my Farfisa will join the setup. :mrgreen:
That's even better, Moog all the way! :D
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:27 am

Okay,

This is how I work and how a lot of the music that you hear when you go to my pages are done.

The older stuff, my partner composed on fruity loops. With that he would compose the drums and I would do the basslines and melodies on the Micro.

Nowadays he composes all kinds of beats and sequences on REASON and I will go back over that and punctuate. He will compose something that is really hard, and Ill go back and lay some Rhodes over it and then accompany the Rhodes with some Moog.

Other times I might just write a melody speciffically with the Moog.

Since I don't practice the Theremin like a proper Thereminist should, my theremin technique is halfway melodic and halfway SCI-FI.

Since we do most everything in a small bedroom home studio, we write songs in the studio. We will spend hours and hours in playback and working out the melodies and then laying everything down. This is mainly why we don't have a live set going because If im playing 3 or 4 different overdubbed parts to his 3 or 4 sequences then its rather tricky.

I view the "Moog" as a system of all my Moog gear not just specifically one synth or effect.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:47 am

EricK wrote: I view the "Moog" as a system of all my Moog gear not just specifically one synth or effect.
Eric
Me too! There's the Moog, the Farfisa, the Hohner (harmonica, either C or Bb), ocarina, and the hand drums. Of course, when I complete the mods to the Farfisa, it will be referred to as the Moogfisa. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:59 am

Just as long as you don't name the dancing that you are doing while playing the instruments the MoogOcarina.

Okay now with that joke Im going to kill myself.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:07 am

EricK wrote: Okay now with that joke Im going to kill myself.

Eric
I'm sure Chuck Norris would oblige you after seeing that joke. :lol: That was worse than some of Jon Stewart's jokes. :shock:

Christopher Winkels

Post by Christopher Winkels » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:04 am

My LP actually performs dual duty as a controller keyboard and a sound source, but I think with the imminent arrival of a five-octave DSI unit it will revert to the latter.

Sonically I tend to layer it with a Future-Retro XS, as the two complement each other well, creating a "four oscillator" monosynth.

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:18 am

EricK wrote:Just as long as you don't name the dancing that you are doing while playing the instruments the MoogOcarina.

Okay now with that joke Im going to kill myself.

Eric
Heeeyyy Moogerina, Ayyeee! :D

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:32 am

Christopher Winkels wrote:My LP actually performs dual duty as a controller keyboard and a sound source, but I think with the imminent arrival of a five-octave DSI unit it will revert to the latter.

Sonically I tend to layer it with a Future-Retro XS, as the two complement each other well, creating a "four oscillator" monosynth.
I've never really used a Little Phatty as a controller keyboard, I use my DAW for that. Otherwise I'll be changing the MIDI channels too often. :)
Does it work well?

If I'm done moving I'll design my studio to pair my Little Phatties with ease and try to use them more simultaneously (duophonic or layered monophonic).

Christopher Winkels

Post by Christopher Winkels » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:37 am

It depends on what your requirements are, really.

Using an LP as a controller has a couple of downsides: no aftertouch, a short keyboard, and there aren't exactly dozens of knobs, sliders or pads to transmit data.

In practice, I really only find the short keyboard to be an issue, which is part of the impetus behind buying a Prophet-08. I rarely (read as "never") use aftertouch. I'll probably go through and disable it on most of the P08 patches when it arrives and all my synths are fairly well equipped with knobs, sliders and other realtime controls so edits can be done locally and quickly. You can tell I don't use software synths!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:30 pm

Software's the devil! :evil:

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:13 pm

Christopher Winkels wrote:It depends on what your requirements are, really.

Using an LP as a controller has a couple of downsides: no aftertouch, a short keyboard, and there aren't exactly dozens of knobs, sliders or pads to transmit data.

In practice, I really only find the short keyboard to be an issue, which is part of the impetus behind buying a Prophet-08. I rarely (read as "never") use aftertouch. I'll probably go through and disable it on most of the P08 patches when it arrives and all my synths are fairly well equipped with knobs, sliders and other realtime controls so edits can be done locally and quickly. You can tell I don't use software synths!
Maybe hold off on disabling the AT. I am controlling a P'08 module with a Voyager, and on many of the patches the aftertouch is very useful.

Christopher Winkels

Post by Christopher Winkels » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:09 pm

Perhaps, but in this case it'll be the other way around: the P08 will likely be the master and the LP the slave.

I find the P08 to have the most wackily hair-trigger aftertouch on the market. What I consider to be simply the weight of my hand resting on the keybed causes absoltely seasick levels of modulation. I haven't dived in far enough to see if its scalable, but it will have to be addressed.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:18 pm

Christopher Winkels wrote:My LP actually performs dual duty as a controller keyboard and a sound source, but I think with the imminent arrival of a five-octave DSI unit it will revert to the latter.

lol this is my setup exactly, LP is my kb controller/bassmonster, midi out to the XS. Slightly different though, I have a mf107 running via the XS for 5 oscs total, and have a DSI Evolver hooked up through the XS's midi thru for another 4 when i'm feeling like overkill. >:D

Have fun w/ the Poly! I had a Prophet '08 for a while but sold it for the desktop version to make room/ buy the XS :)
www.ctrlshft.com