Ha! New problem!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Jauntimus Prime

Ha! New problem!

Post by Jauntimus Prime » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:38 am

Another exciting installment of "Let's Fix Jaunty's Broken Sh!t!!!"

Nice to see you all back.

Alright. So the synth with the broken traces? Got 'er cleaned up, back together, and plugged in. She roars to life! Everything's fantastic!

Except...

...now the envelope generator doesn't work.

That's how it seems, anyway. VCA set to envelope makes no noise; only makes noise set to "gate." VCO PWM set to env just sounds like a square wave. (This is at any ADSR setting.) I don't understand. It didn't behave this way before I opened 'er up, and I didn't really mess with any circuitry other than taking sliders out, cleaning/lubing, and putting back in. I don't think any of the trace problems happened in this section of the controls... I'll be checking to make sure.

I realize it may be time to see a tech... but where does one look first when this happens? It seems like it should be something really simple, with the timing and all.

As always, thanks in advance!
"There's a reason digital audio has earned its reputation for sterility, lifelessness, and harshness. Mainly, it's because it tends to be sterile, lifeless, and harsh." [url=http://www.myspace.com/froghollowdaycamp]Frog Hollow Day Camp[/url]

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:18 am

Could be the sliders themselves are shot...did the sliders you take out adjust the Envelope Generator? Also, check your solder connections and fuses if applicable. If none of this works, take it to a tech. Just my take on it. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:43 pm

in any troubleshooting, you have to divide and conquer....start with one problem at a time. i would start at the VCA env/gate switch...make sure the switch is functional. if so, follow the traces from the switch that involve the env connections and look for broken traces or bad solder joints.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:14 am

When you set it to gate does the keyboard change the freq of the Osc?
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Jauntimus Prime

Post by Jauntimus Prime » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:30 pm

When you set it to gate does the keyboard change the freq of the Osc?
I hope I'm understanding the question right... Do you mean does it change the pitch of the VCO, or does it change the cutoff freq of the filter (i.e. does it track)? The answer to both questions is yes. But in gate mode, the "envelope" is a flat line, as in you can't change attack, decay, etc. It's just note on/off. And of course, in env mode, there's no sound at all.

Now that i'm home from Christmas, i'm gonna open 'er up again tonight, poke around inside, and probably pull the ADSR sliders out and make sure I didn't put something in backwards or anything like that. I could also check the switch as acorkos suggested... but I think since the filter isn't contouring either, that may not be the key...

This is where I look at Kevin with big doe eyes. :cry: Or anybody who might happen to have a service manual for this thing...
"There's a reason digital audio has earned its reputation for sterility, lifelessness, and harshness. Mainly, it's because it tends to be sterile, lifeless, and harsh." [url=http://www.myspace.com/froghollowdaycamp]Frog Hollow Day Camp[/url]

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:35 pm

I asked that because thats what was wrong with mine.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.