Tell us about yourself....

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:02 pm

Voltor07 wrote:Good point! Also, it was actually Green Day that inspired me to buy a Farfisa when I found one. :wink:
Oh the Farfisa! I always wanted to get one after I heard Mudhoney's "Piece of Cake" LP, back in the day. Meeeeemorrieeeeessss! LOL!

Not even sure if it was a Farfisa that they used on that record, but always just assumed. :lol:

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:47 am

Off topic, I know, but my Farfisa is a Matador-R I purchased for $250 at Music-Go-Round. There's another one in Colorado, I think. It's a Compact Duo, being sold As-Is for $500. They ARE high maintenance, though. The contacts need cleaning quite often, and the capacitors in mine are going bad. The polyphony is only three voices right now, as well.

I'd hate to find out what's wrong with the Compact Duo. :shock:

It is a good way to learn about circuits and repair though. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

LeRoi

Post by LeRoi » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:12 am

Voltor07 wrote:It is a good way to learn about circuits and repair though. :wink:
Man, I have no idea about the inner workings of any electronic devices. I'd love to get to hip about fixing some of my stuff. I'm in constant fear of things breaking. Luckily everything I have is under warranty! LOL

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:55 pm

LeRoi wrote: Man, I have no idea about the inner workings of any electronic devices. I'd love to get to hip about fixing some of my stuff. I'm in constant fear of things breaking. Luckily everything I have is under warranty! LOL
And if you want to learn about circuits, Radio Shack has some great books and kits to help you get started. Once you figure out the who's who and what's what and the why this happens in a circuit, you can make modifications, repairs, etc. to your heart's content! Of course, there's always people like Kevin Lightner to do stuff for you...at a cost. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

LeRoi

Post by LeRoi » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:59 pm

Voltor07 wrote:And if you want to learn about circuits, Radio Shack has some great books and kits to help you get started. Once you figure out the who's who and what's what and the why this happens in a circuit, you can make modifications, repairs, etc. to your heart's content!
That is an excellent idea! I am going to have to do that when I finally sell some of this stuff (I'm so tired of hearing myself say that). My gear paranoia is killin me!

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:46 am

aww some one beat me to the chuck norris user name! ive been to busy lately and havent even been able to check my mail let alone create an alter ego!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:37 am

I missed you, ColorForm! Yes, Chuck Norris was here and said nothing and everything at the same time. All in one post, even! :shock: Also, the Compact Duo mentioned a few posts above is in New Mexico, not Colorado. Colorado has a set of beat up Taurus II's which would challenge any tech not named Kevin Lightner. :lol:

Matt Friedman

Post by Matt Friedman » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:57 pm

Okay... I'm still new here, so I'll post about me.

I'm a history lecturer and PhD candidate at Rutgers University. I'm originally from Montreal, but came down here for school. I'm on the wrong side of 35 and the hair loss has gotten to the point where I just shave my damned head. I'm interested in all kinds of music [my MA thesis was on musical theatre and opera, and my PhD research is on the postwar avant garde and electronic music]... In terms of what I play, it ranges from a jazzy-bluesy trip-hoppy sound with my band to a kind of ambient minimalism with my solo project.
A Perfect Vacuum: http://www.myspace.com/aperfectvacuum
The Plateau Phase: http://www.myspace.com/plateauphase

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:10 pm

Matt,
Its a pleasure to make your aquaintence. Im a history buff as well but not quite at the doctoral level yet.

Id like to hear some of your work.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:09 pm

Matt Friedman wrote:Okay... I'm still new here, so I'll post about me.

I'm a history lecturer and PhD candidate at Rutgers University. I'm originally from Montreal, but came down here for school. I'm on the wrong side of 35 and the hair loss has gotten to the point where I just shave my damned head. I'm interested in all kinds of music [my MA thesis was on musical theatre and opera, and my PhD research is on the postwar avant garde and electronic music]... In terms of what I play, it ranges from a jazzy-bluesy trip-hoppy sound with my band to a kind of ambient minimalism with my solo project.
Impressive! Welcome to the forum! :mrgreen:

Matt Friedman

Post by Matt Friedman » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:30 am

Eric... What areas of history interest you? My research focuses on post-WWII United States, but I teach the whole range of US history -- and a summer course on popular music.

Voltor... $250 for a Matador is actually pretty good. Some brands -- Farfisa, Vox, Gibson -- command much higher prices than others. I've seen Vox Continentals go for $1,500, for example. And the truth is that the Ace-Tones don't quite have the Farfisa punch. They're a bit cheesy... But you know what? Sometimes cheese is what you want. There's a great resource on combo organs here.
A Perfect Vacuum: http://www.myspace.com/aperfectvacuum
The Plateau Phase: http://www.myspace.com/plateauphase

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:50 am

Matt Friedman wrote: Voltor... $250 for a Matador is actually pretty good. Some brands -- Farfisa, Vox, Gibson -- command much higher prices than others. I've seen Vox Continentals go for $1,500, for example. And the truth is that the Ace-Tones don't quite have the Farfisa punch. They're a bit cheesy... But you know what? Sometimes cheese is what you want. There's a great resource on combo organs here.
Thanks for the link! Also, I have both the hard-wired volume pedal AND the slalom pedal, both included in the price I paid, as described in the Matador section of that site. I take it the slalom pedal was an extra add-on when new. :roll:

Gamaliel

Post by Gamaliel » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:20 am

Hiyas Matt,I shave my dome as well,the way I look at it is God only made a few perfect heads.....the rest have hair :lol:
You can never have too many musical instruments.

bambamstudio

Post by bambamstudio » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:49 am

Hi Marc from the netherlands here...signed up just now, I expect my first Moog soon :)

I am a fulltime
DJ: www.kamansi.com
producer: www.bambamstudio.com ( dutch )
I own a record label: www.beatrepublic.com ( dutch )
I am a fulltime Gearjunk: www.gearjunkies.com ( Hobby website from me and 2 friends )
[b]Never let your wife prevent you from buying gear. A house will not buy a synth, but a synth can buy a house![/b]

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:19 am

Welcome to the forum, Marc.
Hope you get that Moog soon.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.