Help me make a decision in buying a Moog!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
jamezdd73

Post by jamezdd73 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:26 am

Yeah, I was probably 14 or 15 at the time, and was only just getting into music! I didn't even have a job so I wouldn't have even dreamt of having the money to buy one.

Goin' to the retailer tomorrow after work... It'll be the longest 4 hours of my life!!!

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:04 am

So are you going with the LP or the OS?

Can't wait to find out!

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

jamezdd73

Post by jamezdd73 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:17 pm

I'll go with the OS if they're still in stock, because they're on special right now and there are only a few left at that price. If I can't get a good deal on it then I'll go with the LP.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:55 pm

jamezdd73 wrote:I'll go with the OS if they're still in stock, because they're on special right now and there are only a few left at that price. If I can't get a good deal on it then I'll go with the LP.
The OS would be a good decision. I am certain you'll be happy with either one, though. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:50 pm

the voyager old school is an amazing instrument

jamezdd73

Post by jamezdd73 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:44 am

Well, I'm back from my good-old retailer... And after trying the two synths out... and taking much into consideration I've decided to go with the Little Phatty.

I walked in with pretty much a %99 positive mindset about buying the Old School. But after having them both set up there and playing on them both extensively I felt drawn more heavily to the Phatty. So there you have it!

Thanks for the tips and advice everybody! I've put it on Layby, so now it's just a matter of time!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:33 am

jamezdd73 wrote:Well, I'm back from my good-old retailer... And after trying the two synths out... and taking much into consideration I've decided to go with the Little Phatty.

I walked in with pretty much a %99 positive mindset about buying the Old School. But after having them both set up there and playing on them both extensively I felt drawn more heavily to the Phatty. So there you have it!

Thanks for the tips and advice everybody! I've put it on Layby, so now it's just a matter of time!
Ah, now the extensive wait...why the LP? Just curious. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

jamezdd73

Post by jamezdd73 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:01 am

The wait's terrible. It's only been a few hours... And I've got at least 4 weeks! Hahahaha... I'll find a way!

As to how I made my decision... I had the two synths (LP and OS) set up next to each other and had an extensive chat to the owner about each synth.
It's the second time I'd been to the store and the last time I was there I was convinced I'd buy the LP after walking in with the intention of eventually buying the Voyager, but after a few months of no Moog contact I was drawn back to the Voyager just by looking it up on the internet a few times.

When I went back to the store today, I immediately felt reattracted to the LP again. With the two synths side by side I'd tinker around on the OS a bit, turn to the LP and play an extensive experiment, twisting knobs and pushing buttons. I'd turn back to the OS, tinker a bit more, twist a few knobs and puch buttons for a few minutes... then spend a good 10 minutes mucking around on the LP.

Then I asked myself "Am I really willing to spend an extra grand on a synth when I'm having a much more enjoyable time on this cheaper synth?"

By now the answer was pretty clear which one I'd prefer.

And that's it!

Now the long, dreaded wait... It's killing me.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:13 am

Yes...the LP was an impulse buy for me. My most expensive impulse buy to date. :lol: I walked into Sam Ash (big chain store here in the US) with the intention of trying out the LP. I walked out with the LP, Alesis Sumo 15 amp, a cable, and a Stageworks (half the time) X-stand. Not to mention, $1400 and something lighter. :shock: Very fun synth, I agree! :mrgreen:

EDIT: Post #666! :twisted:

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:40 pm

COngradulations!

I haven't seen an OS in person. Really, aside from the LP that was at Guitar Center in LittleRock, or the Voyagers that have come through with PFunk, The only Moog products that Ive see in person are the ones that I own.

An Old School Voyager in my opinion will not immediately offer the gratification that the LP may. THe Old School is not for everybody. YOu have to be hardcore in patch documentation/photo taking.

How did the keybeds feel side by side?

In the end I don't think you will be dissapointed. I forsee you in the future still looking at the Voyager on the web pages though wondering about the puppy in the window you didn't buy lolo.

Eric

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:47 pm

Congrats on the new LP! And I wouldn't worry about the one that got away, if you're like others on this board, it's only a matter of time before you'll eventually spring for the either the OS, or a full blown Voyager!

Maybe even both!! :twisted:

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:16 pm

EricK wrote:THe Old School is not for everybody. YOu have to be hardcore in patch documentation/photo taking.
i guess that rules out stevie wonder, huh? :roll:

i disagree with your statement. the OS is for anyone interested in great analog sound. if you have the ability to turn knobs, flip switches and press keys, listening for changes made in the process...well, it works for me. :D

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:29 am

acorkos wrote: i guess that rules out stevie wonder, huh? :roll:
Not quite. He would have no more difficulty than he did with the mini, or that he would with a Performer or any other synth.
Stevie also has machines that read for him and technicians that would be more than happy to get paid recalling sounds for him.
acorkos wrote: i disagree with your statement. the OS is for anyone interested in great analog sound. if you have the ability to turn knobs, flip switches and press keys, listening for changes made in the process...well, it works for me. :D
I said that its not for everyone because Ill be the first one to announce that I don't ever want to have to spend prescious time writing in a patchbook or looking at pictures to recall patches again. Though I don't know how i can say that and want to go modular. Im not dissing on the OS but its a fact, its not for everyone. People have to have their Midi or their patch memory if thats their cup of tea and that will be what makes or breaks their decision to purchase one.

If it works for you and its at a signifigantly lower price then more power to you! It is a fantastic synth no doubt about that and with some slightly different modulation options...it has its place up there with the greatest synths around.

Respectfully,
Eric

Christopher J. Boylan

Post by Christopher J. Boylan » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:31 pm

As one of the old farts in here, I've been around long enough to have a pile of synths, mini model D as well as my newer Voyager. I'm so happy to see Moog come out with some new models, the Little Phatty and the Old School. They are certainly keeping there ears open and giving the public what they are asking for. Quite unusual for a keyboard manufacturer where most just keep their thumbs tucked in their vests and put out what THEY want you to think you want.

James' choices between the OS and LP at first seems like a tough one, and I can see that he's made up his mind.... but I'd like him to reconsider.

I think it IS very possible that he finds that a year from now he'll get the hankering for a OS or Voyager. If the synth is going to be used predominantly for live stage performance, well then the LP is the way to go. There's little time on stage for twiddling around and experimentation.

But if he's going to explore and experiment at home or in the the studio, he's going to run out of territory very quickly and start saying things like, "hey... my LP doesn't do THAT.... or even THAT!" The LP has it's place as a down and dirty extra analog synth for those that NEED the sounds it produces and want the authentic MOOG sound at a cheaper price.

But if someone is embarking on a journey to LEARN analog synthesis and is looking for YEARS of exploration and experimentation, then no question what-so-ever the OS is the way to go. Especially with all of the things MOOG makes that you can add on to it.
Buy cape. Wear cape. Fly.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:45 pm

Christopher J. Boylan wrote:As one of the old farts in here, I've been around long enough to have a pile of synths, mini model D as well as my newer Voyager. I'm so happy to see Moog come out with some new models, the Little Phatty and the Old School. They are certainly keeping there ears open and giving the public what they are asking for. Quite unusual for a keyboard manufacturer where most just keep their thumbs tucked in their vests and put out what THEY want you to think you want.

James' choices between the OS and LP at first seems like a tough one, and I can see that he's made up his mind.... but I'd like him to reconsider.

I think it IS very possible that he finds that a year from now he'll get the hankering for a OS or Voyager. If the synth is going to be used predominantly for live stage performance, well then the LP is the way to go. There's little time on stage for twiddling around and experimentation.

But if he's going to explore and experiment at home or in the the studio, he's going to run out of territory very quickly and start saying things like, "hey... my LP doesn't do THAT.... or even THAT!" The LP has it's place as a down and dirty extra analog synth for those that NEED the sounds it produces and want the authentic MOOG sound at a cheaper price.

But if someone is embarking on a journey to LEARN analog synthesis and is looking for YEARS of exploration and experimentation, then no question what-so-ever the OS is the way to go. Especially with all of the things MOOG makes that you can add on to it.
Very good points! The limits on the LP can be expanded by 'Foogers, but a Phatty will NEVER be as limitless as a Voyager...OS or otherwise. :mrgreen: