Osc Out?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
ColorForm2113

Osc Out?

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:31 pm

I've been wanting to get my micromoog modified with an osc out so that I can run fx before the filter. Has anyone had this done? My concern is when I have the Osc Out going to my fx chain would the vco still go through the original path as well or would inserting a cable bypass the signal path? Or could I turn off the vco (via the front panel switch) and still get the vco to come through the osc out jack?

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:14 pm

I prey to Bob that you get a great and working modification of your Micro.

I wouldn't have mine modded unless I bought a crappy one from ebay, had it restored and only then would I do that.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:47 pm

there is a really talented tech by me I trust he can do it, heck he brought it back to life for me when I bought it, worked like it was 1979 again. This is the only thing I would get done. Ever since I saw a voyager demo awhile back where they demonstrated the mix out /filter in I've felt like I need it. And I really don't see a voyager in my future any time soon.

MC

Post by MC » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:48 pm

What you want is an insert jack. That's not hard to do, any competent tech should be able to put one in.

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:59 pm

The Micromoog already has a dedicated oscillator output, factory installed!

Look in the manual, it's under the 'open system' section. The audio input uses a two connector 'stereo' jack and sends oscillator out on the same jack.
This was done so that players could patch a dual oscillator synth when combining two MicroMoogs.

If you want to process this signal, and send it back to the synth, theres a switch to disable the internal osc sound--switch that off, send the oscillator out to fx, and return it to the same jack (using stereo tip/ring cable).

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:30 am

wow, i will have to look that up. and just when i thought i knew my micro like the back of my hand

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:06 am

Moog instruments have a way of making you say that over and over again.

THe gifts that keep on giving.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:56 pm

ok i tried it and the AUDIO IN does send the OSC OUT but when i disable the osc, i get nothing from the AUDIO IN also. and i tried routing fx (i used a Y cable with a male trs plugged into the AUDIO IN and two female jacks going to the fx input and output, i even switched the female inputs and the fx in/out around and got the same result) with the osc on and that created a feedback loop, all though fun to play with not the ultimate goal i had in mind. i want the raw osc sound to be sent out from the micro run through fx then sent back into the filter section of the micro.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:34 pm

Man Im nowhere near my manual but if Im not mistaken, the keyboard output STrig doubles as send-return.

I really can't say for sure on the Osc out.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:02 pm

The OSC Input is a single function jack only.

The Audio Out is a dual function jack as is the modulation jack....however it did say though that turning the Osc to the of position removed it from the sound chain.

THere really is no dedicated Osc out then...right?

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:15 pm

nope doesnt look like it

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:58 pm

EricK wrote:The OSC Input is a single function jack only.

The Audio Out is a dual function jack as is the modulation jack....however it did say though that turning the Osc to the of position removed it from the sound chain.

There really is no dedicated Osc out then...right?
The raw oscillator doesn't come from the OSC Input or the audio out, it's output from the audio in--where you would normally input an external signal, as I described above :D . Colorsound just wrote above that he tried it and it worked. I used to have a Micro for years, and it worked on mine...

But also, it's on page 65 of the manual, under the 'open system' section: "The audio input may also be used as an output from the oscillator section. The signal obtained is unfiltered and continuous..."

So, if you switch the filter to "Bypass"(the last switch on the right), you should be able to process the VCO and re-insert it into the filter--without hearing the internal osc sound.

Colorsound:

Now, I don't know if it's going to sound the way you want it to, it's just an oscillator--it's not like processing a guitar signal-- but you should be able to. An oscillator basically is a feedback loop, so I'm not surprised it sounded like one. The reason the VCO is output in the first place is not so you can process it (although there's no reason not to), but so you could send it out to another one oscillator synth i.e. another Micromoog. When they made the Multi, they left this feature off (I guess because it already has two VCOs).

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:40 pm

I wasn't questioning you. WHen i read your post I was at school and I was actually trying to remember what it was I read. I dl the manual and just typed what I typed. I knew that some plugs were in/out I just didn't remember if it was more than one or just one or all of them.

its all good, Eric C.

Respectfully,
Eric K

lol

--------

I believe in the manual they really were striving for people to use the 921 series Oscs too which is perhaps why they included an attenuator on some Micro's to enable quartertones and such. They definately packed this puppy with lots of features to be a supposed "budget synth".

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:51 am

eric coleridge wrote:
EricK wrote:The OSC Input is a single function jack only.

There really is no dedicated Osc out then...right?
The raw oscillator doesn't come from the OSC Input or the audio out, it's output from the audio in--where you would normally input an external signal, as I described above :D . Colorsound just wrote above that he tried it and it worked. I used to have a Micro for years, and it worked on mine...

But also, it's on page 65 of the manual, under the 'open system' section: "The audio input may also be used as an output from the oscillator section. The signal obtained is unfiltered and continuous..."

So, if you switch the filter to "Bypass"(the last switch on the right), you should be able to process the VCO and re-insert it into the filter--without hearing the internal osc sound.

Colorsound:

Now, I don't know if it's going to sound the way you want it to, it's just an oscillator--it's not like processing a guitar signal-- but you should be able to. An oscillator basically is a feedback loop, so I'm not surprised it sounded like one. The reason the VCO is output in the first place is not so you can process it (although there's no reason not to), but so you could send it out to another one oscillator synth i.e. another Micromoog. When they made the Multi, they left this feature off (I guess because it already has two VCOs).
it didnt sound like the normal micromoog oscillator when i rand it uneffected through the fx chain, it sounded similar to when you run one of the audio outs into the audio in and then the other audio out to the amp/mixer/etc.. im goint to play around with it some more this weekend and see what i can get. the feedback loop sound was pretty cool though