moog depression

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
changeofeyes

moog depression

Post by changeofeyes » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:53 pm

I'm going into some hardcore moog depression here. I've wanted a voyager since they came up and I'm finally getting to the point where I'm realizing I'm never going to be able to get it... or the Phatty. Is anyone in the same boat? Does anyone thats not want to trade theirs? :D
http://www.facebook.com/noiseofTSTI
http://soundcloud.com/tsti
http://www.TSTImusic.com

Moog Voyager (pe), MF-107, Roland Juno-106, Roland SH-101, Roland TR-707, Roland mc-808, Casio CT-640.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:06 am

:cry: I am going through the EXACT same thing right now. i would feel so complete with a voyager or mini D or a good modular set up. not to say i dont love the gear i have but you know you get ideas or hear a sound you want to recreate...and you need a voyager to make it sound right

changeofeyes

Post by changeofeyes » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:20 am

yes! and the fact that i work in a cube alllll day, and stare at a picture I have on my wall of the select series voyagers probably doesnt help... so sad
http://www.facebook.com/noiseofTSTI
http://soundcloud.com/tsti
http://www.TSTImusic.com

Moog Voyager (pe), MF-107, Roland Juno-106, Roland SH-101, Roland TR-707, Roland mc-808, Casio CT-640.

bunnyman

Post by bunnyman » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:21 am

Well, you could always start small: get thyself ein MoogerFooger MF-101 filter. Start processing EVERYTHING through it! Three oscillators (even from a software synth or other digital beastie) through it can start that Moog feelin'. And just go from there... :wink:

-drew bunny

Hyphen nation

Post by Hyphen nation » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:05 am

great advice Bunnyman...I am a solid believer in the MoogerFoogers...not to mention the used market...there is also no shame in saving, even if it takes a really long time...to me, the problem with gear comes in, when I start saving, and suddenly my bank account has numbers I have never seen before, and I get caught up in the cycle of saving...[not a terrible thing] that I can't bring myself to lower my bank account for a synth...[also, I am expecting a child here shortly, so it seems maybe wiser to save $$$]...

Long and short of it: Foogers rule, and really do deliver the moog spice...

Save a long ass time, and you can get what you want...though, in my case, once I had the coin to get what I want, I am not sure I want to spend it...

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:37 pm

Create 2 savings accounts... Treat it like people who have accounts for future cars or future houses, etc.

1, longterm savings that go to mutual funds or whatever. If you arn't doubling your money every 7-11 years in this account, find a new mutual fund or account! ($1,000 a year invested into this through your Roths will let you easily retire with over a million in it)

2- a short term savings account where you every month or every time you save, put a % of money towards... call this your "synth" account.

Every month put aside x number of dollars into your synth account.. and then it won't hit you behind the head when you do buy....
Electronic Violinist here

Bryan T

Re: moog depression

Post by Bryan T » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:09 pm

changeofeyes wrote:I've wanted a voyager since they came up and I'm finally getting to the point where I'm realizing I'm never going to be able to get it... or the Phatty.
Where there is a will, there is a way. Get a part time job on Saturdays and you'll have a Voyager in no time.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:19 am

Man,
I tell you that Im feeling this too, and I just bought 3 Foogers during the rebate!

Ive been spending a lot of time lately looking at pictures of the Voyager, going to sweetwater and adding it to my cart invaribly knowing that I can't pay for it. Ive been considering purchasing the 351 even though I don't have a voyager thinking that it will close a hole in my rack and bring my "That much close".

THen Im looking at the sales literature for the Moog modules and im really in agony. I think they should add a forum to the Forum like a support group for people who are going through Moog withdrawal.

And I owned a voyager once already...so I really know what im missing too.

I keep thinking that if I think about it constantly....if I keep racking my brain trying to figure out how I can get the money then I will come up with a plan.

So Far ive appplied for credit cards hahah but I think that they know me better than that hahah.

I guess in the meantime we should be proud of what we have and just let this inspire us to work harder and when we finally get it it will be that much better.

WHo am i kidding?

"Id gladly pay you tuesday for a Voyager Today"

(The credit card companies aren't buying that, maybe someone will.)

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:02 am

yeah as much as i want a voyager. ive got to learn to get my priorities straight. i need to get a place to live (i still live with my folks, im not homeless lol i thought i should clear that up) much more than i need another synth or pedal.

Hyphen nation

Post by Hyphen nation » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:25 pm

matt the fiddler wrote:Create 2 savings accounts... Treat it like people who have accounts for future cars or future houses, etc.

1, longterm savings that go to mutual funds or whatever. If you arn't doubling your money every 7-11 years in this account, find a new mutual fund or account! ($1,000 a year invested into this through your Roths will let you easily retire with over a million in it)

2- a short term savings account where you every month or every time you save, put a % of money towards... call this your "synth" account.

Every month put aside x number of dollars into your synth account.. and then it won't hit you behind the head when you do buy....
dude, the two accounts idea is brilliant...very clean and easy way to see what kind of $$$ is available for gear, while seeing knowing that there will be $$$ when I am retired...

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:01 pm

The catch is a lot of people think that taking loans and such to buy instruments and stuff gets them stuff faster. While it will initially get you something NOW ... you get so bogged down with interest and extra costs. it will bite you in the long run.. you will get much more, musch faster in the long run if you save first, and only buy what you auctually have the $ to pay for.

Credit card companies are evil :) They sit around finding new schemes to hook people, since they don't have a solid product that holds up the test of time... And most Banks's savings accounts are a fraction of what your money could be making with very little work in other places.

That said, i buy WAY too many musical instruments for my own good :P Always something else
Electronic Violinist here

foogermooger

Post by foogermooger » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:37 pm

God ive done this very thing a zillion times as well......

I wanted a Voyager for 2 years....finally got it yesterday, the RME version and its amazing...Last October i bought the Little Phatty and ive spent the last 2 months collecting the Foogers........i have 5 now..

I work one full time job..use this to live and survive on....i dj at the weekends in a night club playing music i dont like to play..but do it purely to build my studio...

I also supply and install carpets a couple of evenings per week just to boost my funds...

This time last year i had nothing but an old pc, could not even afford any vst soft synth effects never mind instruments..i used ALL cracked software and only managed to buy a B-stock midi keyboard...

I decided to work as hard as i could to get what i want..my girl friend never sees me and she moans all the time about it...i dont see my friends much, ive pretty much became a recluse because im so determined to make it...

Now my studio is lookin great, i dont even use software (other than ableton live 7 i bought)...........And to be honest, well you dont need all the best gear to be successful......ive learned that its the inner talent that will shine through regardless what you use (to start with at least)...

Work hard, Play harder! :)

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:51 pm

Hey changeofeyes...

I see where you are coming from...I'm not sure where your money is going to if you have a regular job...but you can do it.

I wouldn't start with a Moogerfooger...you want a Synthesizer to play not a filter, ring modulator, phaser, delay or FM distortion unit. Save up for the Little Phatty...they are attainable and I bet even a 2nd hand one you would be stoked to get. They rule! Get a Moogerfooger after the big purchase or else you have to keep starting back at the beginning again.

Cut out the things that you don't need and distract you from getting deeper into music/creativity.

*Bars/partying...(if you drink that is) it takes time and $$$. Also perpetuate instant gratification in yr. spirit that working towards your Moog stuff will hinder and bum you out when you cant get them today.

*Cook at home...shoot...learn to cook killer meals at home(someone will dig that at some point too).

*Go through things and try to sell things you aren't using on Ebay, Craigslist, yardsales...etc. Not touch your snowboard in a couple of seasons? Sell it...Still have that old Mr. Bungle tee shirt from 96' that you don't wear because you like music on the Kompact label now? Sell it...Then take the things you cant sell to the Goodwill/Out Of The Closet/Salvation Army/Ect... It makes room for all the new things you will have that will be more useful to you and happier.

*Find things that cost little to do...like read up more on synthesis at the library, study up on the history electronic music then find those songs pieces online at Soulseek, Limewire...etc. or take up running.

*It also helps when you want something and are getting depressed about it to help others out. Have a sick friend? Know someone elderly that needs a hand in someway? Talk to a family member lately? You can be of help to someone and for some crazy fukin' reason that will help you get re-motivated and not so bummer. Try it sometime...

Get that synth!
http://www.myspace.com/sirdsssound
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Scott_Stone

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:06 am

I am going through Moog Guitar depression...is that the same thing?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:32 am

Ive been thinking about selling some of my comic books to fund a voyager.

Stuff like the First Appearance of Wolverine, Sabretooth, Psylocke, Rogue, Cable, Jubilee, Punisher; THe Wolverine Miniseries and more...in various conditions. Nothing CGC.

Was suprised to learn that in GEM MINT condition that first Wolvie was priced at 16,000! Jeez thats my modular system!

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.