Model D versus Voyager

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
sinus

Model D versus Voyager

Post by sinus » Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:49 am

I call two minimoogs model D my own (with lintronics midi ).I know it´s a lot as most people don´t have a single one. I can do things like cross connect them (going with -lo out > ext.in-of the other Mini and vise verca) what makes some kind of crazy sort of distortion. Or have 6 OSC at once ... and each of the two Minimoogs sound slightly different (or is it just the different colour of the wood that alters my perception?? ).
Of course I realy would love to add a Voyager to my studio but I´m short with money right now. So, I´was wondering if I would regret it, to give away one of the Minis and buy a Voyager?
Anybody with the same kind of decision problem out there?
sold the old for the new? how did it feel?

brunning

Post by brunning » Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:38 pm

not that i own either (but i've played with both extensively!), but if i had two minis, i'd sell one and buy a voyager in a second.

dejon

Post by dejon » Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:55 pm

I'd keep the Mini that sounds the best and get the Voyager. I think with this set-up you'll have more sound making capabilities.

unique

go get one!

Post by unique » Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:08 am

Sell one mini! I have both, my model D is collecting some dust tough!
The mmv rules! Remember you'll have ocs sync, ringmodulation, dual filters, dedicated modulation lfo, presets + lots more!!! Go get one tiger!
Unique da fraggin freak!

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:42 am

I wrote my complete thoughts about the difference in a similarly titled thread in this forum regarding the differences between the Voya and the Model D. Suffice it to say, I sold my 1 Model D to keep my Voyager. It wasn't a totally easy decision, the Model D has a little more harmonic content and zap to it on an oscillator for oscillator basis, but what I think most come to discover is that the Voya is a different synth all together. It really does sound very good in its own right. I wouldn't recommend you judge the quality of the Voyager simply on its ability to be exactly like a Model D, because frankly, it can't. The thing is, it can be itself, and in so many ways more than the Model D ever could. Take one home for a week and give it some quality time, see what you feel, I bet you'll own one soon after. :wink:

moogman5

Moog Model D vs. Voyager

Post by moogman5 » Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:29 pm

I ran into the same dilemma and I was really worried about the voyager not being up to par with the classic model D. So I sold one of the Model D's I was never too happy with, and bought a Voyager performer edition and was really impressed with the voyager's sound quality and features. Now I've got a great Model D and the Voyager...the best of both worlds, I guess.
I really hope Moog comes out with a new analog poly synth in the near future!
THE VOYAGER IS A WINNER I just wish it had alot more patch memory so I could keep the 128 presets in memory and store another 64 or so of my own programs.

mee3d

Moog Model D vs. Voyager

Post by mee3d » Tue Aug 19, 2003 6:45 pm

I sold my RA Moog model D and all my other analog synths in 92' and went totally digital . . . then sold everything a few years after. Now some years on, with a little more money in my pocket I decided to start my collection again and the first synth I bought was a Voyager SE (#86). Since then I have repurchased a Prophet 5, Jupiter 8, memorymoog, multimoog, prodigy, 2 OSCars and recently thanks to Kelly, a classic minimoog model D.

Having played the Voyager since November 2002 when it was originally shipped with the software crippled I now think it's fantastic but I have to say that I missed the quirky, dirty nature of the original . . . playing an original after a 10 year break brings back all the memories of widdly-widdly out of tune prog rock solos which just sound way to clean on the Voyager for me - bring on dirty, messy harmonics!!

I guess the best thing would be to have one of each if you can as I think they are two unique instruments

Mal

mee3d

Moog Model D vs. Voyager

Post by mee3d » Tue Aug 19, 2003 6:48 pm

I sold my RA Moog model D and all my other analog synths in 92' and went totally digital . . . then sold everything a few years after. Now some years on, with a little more money in my pocket I decided to start my collection again and the first synth I bought was a Voyager SE (#86). Since then I have repurchased a Prophet 5, Jupiter 8, memorymoog, multimoog, prodigy, 2 OSCars and recently thanks to Kelly, a classic minimoog model D.

Having played the Voyager since November 2002 when it was originally shipped with the software crippled I now think it's fantastic but I have to say that I missed the quirky, dirty nature of the original . . . playing an original after a 10 year break brings back all the memories of widdly-widdly out of tune prog rock solos which just sound way to clean on the Voyager for me - bring on dirty, messy harmonics!!

I guess the best thing would be to have one of each if you can as I think they are two unique instruments

Mal

Kelly

w00t!

Post by Kelly » Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:20 pm

Hey Mal, good to see ya here! Yeahp, I have to agree. I found the Voya and Model D both had unique strengths and both deserve respect indepedent of how they relate through history. I would suggest that for the money the Voyager probably has more going for it, but it won't scrub the itch for the classic purists. I would have kept both had I been set in my ways, but I am considering a move to the coast of late and need both money and a lighter load. Perhaps in the future, like yourself I'll once again refurbish my vintaj mojo selection. I will offer one tip that I have found that makes the Voya sound a little more ... analog. Add a slow and slight (I use around 014) amount of saw LFO over the pitch of one or all of the oscs in conjunction with a very mild detuning between the oscs and even a similarly minor amount of waveform modulation as well. Mark Pulvers page also suggested a winner, apply a fast envelope to the resonance so it spikes and disppears after the attack of your more stabby or percussive patches for a snappier hit. The Model D did a little of these things on its own naturally so 'dumbing down' the Voya gives it a little old school flavour.

kam6

Model D versus Voyager

Post by kam6 » Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:50 pm

I absolutely agree with Kelly, the model D and the Voyager are two different instruments, each with their own virtues and drawbacks. I do not own a Voyager yet, tried it out a bit, continue playing the old Musonics.

Cheers to you, Kelly!

Carlos

Mach4

Post by Mach4 » Sat Aug 23, 2003 8:29 am

Humm...keep the both Mini D, and wait a little bit to buy something different and perhaps better than the Voya: Cwejman S1

Here is Jim Aikin's comments about the Cwejman S1 at keyboardmag.com:

"it’s an awesome-sounding analog synth — possibly (and I’m going to whisper this, because I just reviewed the Minimoog Voyager) the best-sounding analog synth I’ve heard in years. This thing is massive. it’s an awesome-sounding analog synth — possibly (and I’m going to whisper this, because I just reviewed the Minimoog Voyager) the best-sounding analog synth I’ve heard in years. This thing is massive."

http://www.cwejman.com/english/index3.html

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:52 am

Thanks for the link. It looks interesting, the S1. Still though, even if it were to be half the price (which I'm sure it won't be), its missing some major things that gave the Voyager the green light to my modest finances. a) Patch Memory. I might go further to stress that adding patch memory while keeping the synth characteristically analog (ie no zippering or artefacts at all). I love have the ability to play for hours on the synth, and chart my explorations for later studio use. Makes 'wasting time' on the analogs actually productive. b) the looks. Meaningless? I don't think so. Those full, chunky knobs of the V-ger are far too inviting. I remember when I got my first Model D. It was actually the first time I'd seen one as well. I was surprised by the size of it. I'll call this 'human sized'. Full size controls and layout. Granted the S1 looks like a healthy panel, the controls and the spacing seems dense, smaller. Minor gripe, but I see nothing here more inviting than the Voyager to go play, not to mention you'de need a Voyager or other good MIDI controller to play it. Add the VX to the V-ger and your just as semi-modular as well. c) don't forget the X,Y,A controller and your stereo, any pole filtering! Unique and powerful additions both to the sound that needs no introduction.

That said, I've not met any analog board I couldn't find some reason to enjoy, and look forward to the S1 as well. Considering that the Voya has such a healthy set of on board controllers and in conjuction with a VX-351, the S1 it might make a nice expander to a Voyager set-up actually, if you were looking for something to sit in the rack beside your axe to extend its oscillator power or to splash the sound with a different filter colour. I currently enjoy a synths.com (www.synthesizers.com) modular in this role, its walnut cabinetry and rugged Moog inspired looks augment the Voyager very well. We truely are in the hey-day of analog synthesis right here and now, so much to choose from.

doubleyouel

Re: Moog Model D vs. Voyager

Post by doubleyouel » Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:39 pm

moogman5 wrote:I ran into the same dilemma and I was really worried about the voyager not being up to par with the classic model D. So I sold one of the Model D's I was never too happy with, and bought a Voyager performer edition and was really impressed with the voyager's sound quality and features. Now I've got a great Model D and the Voyager...the best of both worlds, I guess.
I really hope Moog comes out with a new analog poly synth in the near future!
THE VOYAGER IS A WINNER I just wish it had alot more patch memory so I could keep the 128 presets in memory and store another 64 or so of my own programs.
so how many custom presets can one have on the voyager?

Rohtus

Post by Rohtus » Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:58 pm

All of them can be custom. There are 128 resident presets that can be replaced during a break (2 minutes) or you can replace any one individually.

playon

suthnear

Post by suthnear » Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:53 am

re: the cwejman. 'sfunny how everything is a contest these days. I'm sure it sounds good (the only two opinions I have ever seen of it seem very postive) but the samples on their site are unextraordinary, to say the least.

Still it *would* play very nicely with the voyager and the vx351, wouldn't it? :D