Ribbon Controller

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Mangos

Ribbon Controller

Post by Mangos » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:12 pm

I see someone on ebay has started making a profit selling ribbon controllers for CV gear. I am very interested in making my own, but i am trying to think of a real good ribbon material to extend a good foot hopefully longer. I don't want to use SVHS tape. I feel it would tear or wear too much.
You can measure resistance and mark off the notes and print keys on the box. This seems like an awesome extra controller for pitch or filter. As you see in the links some have added extras for two note and/or sample and hold.

please respond with thoughts on this project so we don't have to pay someone else to make this apparently inexpensive item.

ps. the schematics in these links show ic's but don't give specifics. I guess i understand these are op amps (most likely-i think) But what kind of configuration. It looks like they may be inverting but i have only been studying linear for this past semester.

http://www.paia.com/ProdArticles/dual-ribbon-howto.htm
http://www.electronicpeasant.com/projec ... oller.html

please help
thanks
boognish

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:14 am

Where are you in Wisconsin? I am studying Electrical Engineering at GTC.

I believe the guy building the ribbons that you see on ebay is a member here.

good luck.
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

gd

Post by gd » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:27 pm

Mini D, P'08 ..

toryjames

Post by toryjames » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:27 pm

I have been very happy with the Doepfer A-198 ribbon controller. Yeah, I've had trouble looking for resistive strip material so I just gave in and bought the Doepfer, I like the pressure sensitivity.