Jean Michel jarre

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
nigeynige

Jean Michel jarre

Post by nigeynige » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:06 pm

Oxygene, Live in the living room...
DISCUSS?
I can see some nice Moog gear there, but general performance and honesty is my topic here?
Any views on this classic remake?

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:08 am

apparently its a hot item mine is backorder for like 2 weeks... i cant wait to watch it though

didn't win that minimoog

Post by didn't win that minimoog » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:50 am

Well the original recording 30+ years ago had no Moog on it and on this one he has plenty of newer Moogs. You can see his more or less main keyboard is the Memorymoog. So that keyboard has polyphony and patch storage he never had for the original album (umm though early forms of the technology were on the market during the time of the original album).

I guess there has to be some connection too that he's also performing his 1993 Oxygene sequel pieces in his current concert? So by then his Memorymoog, Moog Liberation and Jupiter were already old gear. But I guess his remakes of them will be sold separately at a later date.

Anyway, just as an audio recording the remake doesn't have much that's necessary or special over the original. Though the DVD is surely a big treat for gearheads. My PAL format DVD didn't have the "3D" though did have the surround version (though not with video of the musicians playing it, the musician video was regular stereo). I guess there are a pile of versions out.

Certainly there is no excuse to say it's worth remaking because the recording technology today is better. Because a good part of the quality of the original was that performance and even the way the recording technology sounded with and technical flaws. I guess he is making a point of using the more or less old instruments. To what degree their soundinng better or their looking good on stage determined their use by him I don't know.

PHC

Post by PHC » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:30 pm

I have it and I like it :-)

One question: Can you see the 3D? I never had trouble with those 3D images and movies that use the glasses, but while watching Oxygene 3D I just see double image. Sometimes when I focus really hard I see 3D for a moment, but it sux. I tried it on 3 different TV sets and 3 of my friends can't see it either. Haven't tried HDMI yet though.

Can anyone see in stereoscopic mode without problems?

nigeynige

I seem somewhat surprised

Post by nigeynige » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:54 pm

I bought it out of curiosity and was immediately looking for the "B*llshit factor". i found it in the section where he plays the theremin. His hand remains in one position and yet the pitch rises by a large amount. Now I know from my etherwave, if I had a rather spicy chilli the night before and let off wind, my intended note could be raised a fifth :lol:
But here is a man who can hold his hand still and get a bigger swoop than me. How hot ws his chilli? and could the other guys smell it? :wink:
What struck me about the DVD is the expressions on the other musicians faces. They looked like someone was going to open the trap door beneath their feet.....Not musicians who were in control.

In Sound on Sound he mentions the CS80. It wasnt used in the DVD shoot.

So I'm kinda interested to see what people feel about the remake.
I take my hat off to JMJ though. I wouldn't fancy taking on a project like that the way our CD sales and record industry has declined in the last 5 years.
Good luck to him though. He's promoting synths again and for that, I salute him. I wonder if Kraftwerk would fancy a crack at AUTOBAHN or Tangerine Dream fancy remaking RUBYCON. Let's live with the original classics I think. They are timeless and even today when i put on a Cd of Kraftwerk or ELP or Jan Hammer, I smile at the audio candy on offer. Today We have far too many presets, far too many keyboards and far too many inhibitions to deal with. Get to know your Moog like a friend.
AND ON THAT NOTE....JMJ mentions Bob and calls the synths MOOOOOGS.
Someone should have told him Moog as in Vogue. :oops:

nicholas d. kent

Post by nicholas d. kent » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:44 am

That's a vintage RCA Theremin he's playing, right? not a Big Briar. I have to watch again if he's cheating. He does have more than enough money to buy anything and get it re-rebuilt.

As for the 3D. The DVD that I bought doesn't claim to be in 3D and isn't.

nigeynige

RCA Theremin

Post by nigeynige » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:47 am

I think it is the RCA, but as I said earlier there are times when I doubt his claim to "LIVE". He recorded the new CD all to Protools and having seen countless people run protools/logic/Ableton live and play over the top, I'm bewildered by the theremin section. Maybe I shouldn't get hung up on it as I'm not really a fan, but if it says Tuna on the tin.....I expect TUNA.
I worked on the same bill with a member of a famous synth band in 1990 and I watched them set his gear up including loads of modular synths. He soundchecked and then the whole performance was a mime to CD. Gutted to think people would do this. It's not as if he couldn't play!
Anyway, Let's look at 3D in a different light.
I have a lazy left eye(it gets up 30 minutes after the right eye) and I can't see those 3D pictures where you find the Empire state building in a mush of dots so the idea of 3D on my tv is pointless.

I look forward to seeing what the reviews are on his live shows in the UK are going to be like.

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:25 pm

OK, I am somewhat out of the loop here....

It appears that there is a new Jean Michel Jarre DVD out?? If so, what is the exact title?

One of my buddies owns a record and DVD store and he was unaware of it, mentioning only a $50 import called Jean Michel Jarre--Moscow, which he wasn't even sure worked on US DVD machines, and a new release of Oxygene that comes with an "extra disk". Is it this extra disk that you all are talking about?

Please fill me in with all the info. I would love to purchase this DVD if it is available.

Thanks!
Thanks Bob!!

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:38 pm

its called "Oxygen 30th anniversary - Live in your Livingroom" and its a live recreation of the orginal Oxygen album. and it also includes a cd of the music from the DVD. the dvd comes in a couple different versions i guess, 2D (standard dvd format), 3D, Hi-def/blueray(im not sure which one)

dave500

A YouTube clip

Post by dave500 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:44 pm

thewaag wrote:OK, I am somewhat out of the loop here....
Thanks!

A YouTube interview

http://youtube.com/watch?v=a_arEd7IRBI
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:21 am

OK, so I picked up the new Oxygene CD tonight and watched it after dinner.

It was AWESOME. If you aren't into synths, you might find the performance boring. As Keith Emerson once said, "Live performance with a (modular) synth is not a spectator sport". However, if you enjoy looking at vintage synths, this DVD is a beauty. It was great to see all of those wonderful vintage synths being used...ARP 2500, ARP 2600, Moog 55, Minimoogs, Memorymoog, Liberation, EMS, Jupiter 8....

It was also interesting to note that the only new synths being used were a Voyager and a Little Phatty. If not for the introduction of those two synths, you would think that this was filmed in the 80's. I guess that the new Moogs are the only new analog synths that JMJ deems worthy......

I also thought that it was interesting to see one of JMJ's band mates playing a Taurus with his hands, rather than with his feet. Seems like he could have substituted a Mini for the base instead.

By the way, the 3D did work for me. I have my DVD player hooked up into a high def TV with S-Video cables, so maybe this is why the 3D worked so well. True, it is hard to focus on some things during play, but some of the 3D effects are incredible at times. The synths are sitting right "in your living room".

My wife came home half way through the DVD--here I was with all the lights turned off, with the music blaring, wearing my 3D glasses. She must have thought that I was crazy.
Thanks Bob!!

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:33 pm

An FYI for Jarre fans: The February issue of Sound On Sound magazine has a feature article on JMJ and the making of the "Live..." DVD. Lots of pix and good info.

:)

dave500

good stuff

Post by dave500 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:48 pm

I just received my Oxygene Live in your living room DVD all I can say is WOW great sounding music. Thanks for letting us know about this nigeynige.
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron

markorbit

Post by markorbit » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:45 pm

Regarding the live or not issue, I heard that the concert was filmed a number of times and edited with the 3D shots in mind rather than emphasizing the exact performance to visual syncronisation. You can clearly see on a number of occasions where these do not match.

Personally I think 90% is from a live take. I do raise an eyebrow at the start of the fast and tricky keyboard parts in Oxygene 2, especially with the LFO thrusters sounding EXACTLY like the record to bring those in.

I think there are quite a few 'mistakes' too and I was surprised that a couple of these happened.

Francis Rimbert gets one of the best Mini sounds ever on that vintage model. I love that sound - wish I knew how to recreate it.

There are a couple of Korg Minipop drum machines too. Really funny to see the guy with his finger on the start button.

I've heard many a Jarre live performace over the years that sounds too close to the record to be substantially live. This isn't one of them.

I'm a little puzzled by the 're-recording' of the CD, or is it just mastering? It sounds like the 1976 recording.

Still, great to see Jarre doing what he does best. Oxygene is a true classic.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:25 am

markorbit wrote: I think there are quite a few 'mistakes' too and I was surprised that a couple of these happened.
Actually, you can read about these 'Happy Accidents' in the SOS article (Feb, 2008)
markorbit wrote: I'm a little puzzled by the 're-recording' of the CD, or is it just mastering? It sounds like the 1976 recording.
According to the liner notes, the Audio CD is the original score re-recorded and remixed by JMJ in his studio.
markorbit wrote: Still, great to see Jarre doing what he does best. Oxygene is a true classic.
Indeed, and it's great to see Oxygene performed live with 'period' instruments!