Jean Michel jarre

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Moomin

Post by Moomin » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:12 am

GregAE wrote: According to the liner notes, the Audio CD is the original score re-recorded and remixed by JMJ in his studio.
I would say that is BS. It's the old tapes but with different effects added. Other than some, almost not noticed, changes it sounds exactly the same as the 1976 album.

Jarre is right now facing legal actions from his old record company Dreyfuss who owns the right for the original Oxygene. I guess they too thought that the so called "new" re-recording sounded way to much like the original.

Anyway, I think that Oxygene - Live in Your Living Room is a great idea and I'm certain that Jarre actually did it live for real this time. Last time we heard him play his music 100% live (apart from some analog sequencers) was on a bootleg from the Concerts in China 1981.
I really hope for a new album made with his analog synths now. The Teo & Tea album was just horrible.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:33 am

Moomin wrote:
GregAE wrote: According to the liner notes, the Audio CD is the original score re-recorded and remixed by JMJ in his studio.
I would say that is BS. It's the old tapes but with different effects added. Other than some, almost not noticed, changes it sounds exactly the same as the 1976 album.
Actually, I'd have to agree with you. Having burned myself out on several viewings of the DVD, I'm now listening to the audio CD, and despite what the liner notes say, the CD DOES sound like the original recording to my ears (barring any effects changes).

It makes me wonder what is really meant by the term 're-recorded'. The CD sounds more like a remaster effort than anything else.