So what's this new product(s)?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Ghost

Post by Ghost » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:46 pm

I am reading on another forum that there may be just 2 new products - the Voyager OS and the MP-201. I really do hope that's the case as i think the LP is just too new to warrant any kind of replacement/refresh imo.

Also depending on the price of the Voyager OS i may well sell my LP and grab one of those instead. Patch memory is nice on the LP but i most always start from scratch anyway just too see what i can find.

Here's hoping the price is right!

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:39 pm

Ghost wrote:I am reading on another forum that there may be just 2 new products - the Voyager OS and the MP-201. I really do hope that's the case as i think the LP is just too new to warrant any kind of replacement/refresh imo.
theres def more coming than the 2 you mentioned... :D
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:40 pm

goldphinga wrote: theres def more coming than the 2 you mentioned... :D
So there is another Little Phatty, or completely different products?

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:59 pm

Im going to guess $2000 for the new Voyager, putting it at about 800 above the LP and 800 Below the Digital Version.

That price it would be tempting but I think id rather have my presets. It would keep me from having to design my own sound charts lol.

EricK
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:35 pm

That pic looks like a prototype with no logo plate.

Man they should just call that the MiniMoog II.

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:46 pm

I'm well aware that polyphonic synths don't appear out of thin air
They seem to be quite popular though, at least for the last 20 years
True, but what company makes polyphonic analogs and is still in business after 20 years?

Roland- huge diversified company, all digital now
Yamaha- huge diversified company, all digital now
Korg- huge company, all digital now
Oberheim - small company, all analogs, out of biz
Arp - medium company, all analogs, out of biz
Moog (original) - small to medium company, all analogs, out of biz
Octave Plateau - small company, all analogs, out of biz
PPG - small company, analog/digital hybrids, out of biz
EML - small company, all analog, out of biz
Emu - small company, stopped making analogs, sold company
Polyfusion, small company, all analog, changed product market
SCI - small company, analog and analog hybrids, out of biz
DSI - small recent startup company, very few products, custom analog/digital chip usage.
Alesis - medium company, huge expenditure for custom chips that helped put them out of business and was soon sold.

And yes, one can probably nitpick the above list and find minor gripes or exclusions, but the fact is, I don't know of any small company that made polyphonic analogs and is still in business after 20 years making them.
It IS much harder to do.

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:06 pm

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:43 pm

DSI have just announced a rack/desktop version of the '08, which is something i have been really hoping for.

http://davesmithinstruments.com/products/p8m/

(not Moog related i know - but thought i might as well post the link seeing as people are talking poly's in here)

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:58 pm

Thanks for the pic, Eric.

You gotta admit- that's a pretty decent array of interface jacks for any keyboard synth out nowadays.

I've seen a number of posts of people with modulars who want a decent keyboard controller, so possibly some of Moog's target audience is that crowd.

Steve

I think the "Old School" is a Hoax!!!!

Post by Steve » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:46 pm

This "new" voyager "old school" I believe is a hoax!!!!
When I visited the Moog factory in Asheville this past summer I took a photo of a early prototype Voyager. I posted the photo online a few months ago.
(I'm not sure how to add a picture to this forum else I would post it here)

This looks to me to be suspiciously like the "new old school". Indeed the same picture has been posted on a few blogs as proof of a new voyager!!
The straight on view that's been used is most-likely photo-shopped.
Who knows - maybe there is a new "Old school" voyager about to be released - but until we hear from an official source - it's all speculative.
Keep the NAMM reports coming - it's all very exciting.
Steve Sciulli
Life In Balance
May peace be your guide

nathan

Post by nathan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:52 pm

On Matrixsynth it is pointed out that the OS very much looks like the old voyager prototype.
http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2007/07 ... ctory.html
2-piece drumkit/4x diy-triggers/1x diy-mixer-preamp/2x clavia micromodular

goldphinga

Re: I think the "Old School" is a Hoax!!!!

Post by goldphinga » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:30 pm

Steve wrote:This "new" voyager "old school" I believe is a hoax!!!!
wait and see.... :P
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

Henfield

Post by Henfield » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:30 pm

I am very disappointed in the MP-201, how many people have been asking for this type of device? Moog could have put out a simple sequencer, Envelope Generator or Pitch to CV in the MF line, a pedal synth or stripped down rack mounted LP, or a ribbon controller. Any of these would satisfy their target market, which is all of us that post in this forum!
MF 102,White MF 103, MF 105B, Minitaur, and an LP Stage II w/ CV Out Mod as well!

MC

Post by MC » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:04 pm

The prototype known as the "Performance Synthesizer" was not christened the Voyager until after a naming contest three years after the prototype was first shown in 2000.

I saw the prototype at that NAMM show.

Some major differences - ADR EGs with shared D/R controls, single lowpass filter, 37 note keyboard. Also the prototype at the NAMM show was a non-working model designed to generate interest and get customer feedback, which demanded proper ADSR EGs, dual filters, longer keyboard, patch storage. I do not know if the prototype was EVER completed to an operating condition.

Some prototype Voyagers were built with a third party optical touchpad ala computer touchpads and shown at later NAMM shows. They made sound but the touchpad was inoperative. Alas, the optical/digital interfacing proved too difficult to implement and was replaced by the current analog touchpad which Bob designed as a standalone product ten years prior to the Voyager.

crs.one

Post by crs.one » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:17 am

Henfield wrote:I am very disappointed in the MP-201, how many people have been asking for this type of device? Moog could have put out a simple sequencer, Envelope Generator or Pitch to CV in the MF line, a pedal synth or stripped down rack mounted LP, or a ribbon controller. Any of these would satisfy their target market, which is all of us that post in this forum!
see, moog is like our parents. they don't give us what we want just because we constantly ask for it. they give us what we didn't know we needed. it's probably one of those things where you're like "what is that? i'll never use it!" and then if you did, you'd never know how you lived without it.
crs.one