So what's this new product(s)?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:42 pm

I don't think they have them in stock yet, im sure if they did they woudl have been prepared to quote me an accurate price and send me one lol.

Maybe in a month or 2.

EricK
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Nick2012

Post by Nick2012 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:57 pm

I'm a bit late chiming in, but here's my 2 cents about the Old School. I think it's a really bad idea, considering it's MSRP is close to what I paid for my brand new Select on Black Friday. Why would anyone prefer it over the Select? It just doesn't make sense. MOOG got it backwards. They should have released the OS first. The ONLY reason I MIGHT buy an OS is because it may end up being a very rare Moog instrument with some collector appeal. Like the Ford Edsel : )

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:03 pm

Actually, I love the Voyager! But I have always wondered about the operating system. Like I always wondered if the digital would last as long as the analog within the system.

THe Model D is still going strong and its almost 40 years later. Over time things might need to be replaced like springs or pads and the elctronics will degrade, but is the Voyager's OS capable of lasting just as long?

WHat happens if somehow theres no more Moog Music? What happens if the MIDI or even the USB jacks become obsolete? Who knows whats going to happen in 40 years?

Imagine some of these great VHS cameras that we bought in the 90's for 1000 dollars.....now the batteries are practically nonexistant or the chargers are nonexistant. I called the technical service dep and about this and he said that unless you can make a charger or unless a sompany has parts to make one he said that my camera was a useless piece of plastic.

Could this happen to the Voyager?

So while some may have a hard time looking at the new panel and wondering where the touchscreen went, theres a possibillity that its 100% analog and the absence of the software may give it a lifespan equal to that of the Model D.

Just a THeory

Respectfully,
Eric

but....this begs the question.....WHat does Moog have for the 40th or even 50th anniversary of the MiniMoog?

crs.one

Post by crs.one » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:25 pm

Nick2012 wrote:I'm a bit late chiming in, but here's my 2 cents about the Old School. I think it's a really bad idea, considering it's MSRP is close to what I paid for my brand new Select on Black Friday. Why would anyone prefer it over the Select? It just doesn't make sense. MOOG got it backwards. They should have released the OS first. The ONLY reason I MIGHT buy an OS is because it may end up being a very rare Moog instrument with some collector appeal. Like the Ford Edsel : )
MSRP on the select is around $3500 isn't it? The VOS MSRP is $2600. So if you got the Select at less than the MSRP, you'd likely be able to find the VOS proportionately so. Check the sales prices on the VOS next black friday and you'll see the comparison.

Not everyone would prefer it over the select, but there are some people who would. Not every product is for every person. But there are plenty of people who are so puritanical that a digital-less voyager has strong appeal.

And I'm glad they didn't release something like the OS first. It would be pretty retrograde if their first synth in decades was exactly like the minimoog d with "enhanced modulation." Bob Moog was more progressive than that, but with everything, there's going to be people who prefer the old to the newfangled. Hence the VOS.

EricK...your thoughts on the longevity of the current voyagers was very interesting. Although I would say I'd buy stock in MIDI...even though MIDI is the new CV, which means there may eventually be a new MIDI...the jump has been made from analog control to digital control, so it wouldn't be difficult for any new form of digital control to be backward compatible with MIDI, which would be crucial for many years in order to sell whatever new technology it was.

Now, if something ever overcame digital, that would be a different story. But how long down the road would that be?

Interesting foresight.
crs.one

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:25 am

Well, we do have the CV to Midi Converters now.

My music partner (Gabe) is a tech head. hehe. He was telling me months ago about how if something has USB on it, it will be capable of so much growth.

Last week with the release of the latest Moog products from NAMM, (in particular the Mp-201 with the USB) and I commented that they needed to install a USB in the voyager. I posted this on the forum already, but he interjected:

THe Voyager needs Bluetooth.

THink about this...why waste time with Midi, when you could just send patch dumps wirelessly?

There are all kinds of videos on youtube where people are doing neat things with the Nintendo DS and the Nintendo Wii controllers, using them to control various parameters of their software synths. Using a nintendo Wii remote as a theremin or rotating it on its axis to replicate turning a potentiometer. All this is done through Bluetooth.

He also said that would enable people to hack into the voyager and do anything they wanted to do with it.

Now im sure that this will have its limitations, but 10 years ago there wasn't too much wireless stuff.

I wondered about the Voyager's OS because what if they stopped supporting it like Windows stops supporting whatever OS they have in favor of a NEW OS. Or all of those DOS based games that we can't play without a DOS emulator because those old 386 and 486 computers were too old.

Im sure that the Voyagers will be around for awhile though, they are built like a tank.

Eric

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:23 pm

Kevin Lightner wrote:Thanks for the pic, Eric.

You gotta admit- that's a pretty decent array of interface jacks for any keyboard synth out nowadays.

I've seen a number of posts of people with modulars who want a decent keyboard controller, so possibly some of Moog's target audience is that crowd.
You'd think with all those jacks, they would have added some outs as well, or a simple cv/gate out. It won't control anything without that. I guess you have to buy the expander...

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:50 pm

I can't wait to try this voyager OS out. I was hoping Moog would make something like this. Actually, this is what I thought the LP was going to look like-- kind of like a Moogerfooger synth, with all of the CV controls, etc.

But, will they strip all of the digital circuitry? Isn't the the keyboard action some kind of digital function--with velocity and aftertouch; and what about the encoder pots? I'm wondering if they're replacing all that stuff with "old school" analog circuitry-- just regular pots and switch keyboard?

It seems like alot of re-engineering to produce an all analog Voyager. Maybe that's why its so expensive.

It looks beautiful though, I much prefer this to the regular digiVoyager. It so much cleaner.

crs.one

Post by crs.one » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:29 pm

EricK wrote:
THe Voyager needs Bluetooth.

THink about this...why waste time with Midi, when you could just send patch dumps wirelessly?

Eric
dude. bluetooth minimoog. sign me up.
crs.one

Funkasizer

Post by Funkasizer » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:04 pm

According to Future Music magazine, Goldphinga was right: Moog is working on a Little Phatty Stage Edition II with a built-in arpeggiator and USB port. Same retail price as current Stage Edition.

T7

Post by T7 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:12 pm

Funkasizer wrote:According to Future Music magazine, Goldphinga was right: Moog is working on a Little Phatty Stage Edition II with a built-in arpeggiator and USB port. Same retail price as current Stage Edition.
It's true.

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:02 pm

Moog could probably do lots of things with some additional programming and other minor changes.
Arpeggiation, inversion of the keyboard, repeating octaves, legato only glide, hi/lo/last note priority, test mode, transposition, different scales, etc.
Who knows?
Technically there's no reason that the keyboard itself couldn't be used an input device where holding down, say, the top and bottom keys together, could enter it into various alternate modes or settings with subsequent keys pressed making the changes.
Kind of like an OSCar, really.

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:59 pm

Hi Kevin!

NAMM was great by the way; Nick Montoya made sure I had an excellent time. Thanks! He speaks very highly of you, by the way.

You are exactly right about using the keyboard as an input device... This would be the only way to change settings on the keyscan board but it would absolutely work. I think that something like that is in the works, for note priority at least. Legato only glide would have to be slightly cheated (digitally-generated glide of pitch-CV) because the keyscan board can't actually engage the Voyager's glide circuit -- analog only; sorry! :D

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:47 pm

Cool!

I actually designed the same thing for a retrofit Minimoog D keyboard replacement a couple of years ago, but could never afford to see it through to the programming stage.
Made a prototype and lots of notes and "wish lists" though. :)
Mine was done with opto sensing, fwiw, but just because the Fatar action isn't exactly like a Pratt Read type and that's what Model D owners have come to love.

Glide *might* be able to be implemented if there was some gate or other logic level available. It could either hit a FET or vactrol across the glide pot, effectively shorting it out.

But all good.
Glad you experienced Namm.
Quite a madhouse, but everyone's gotta do it at least once.
I'm up to about 9 visits and that's enough for me ;-)

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:03 pm

lololol
I often play the keyboard with that technique, gliding from the top to the botton on my micromoog or trilling those notes lolol

hehehehe
Eric

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:10 am

goldphinga wrote:
Ghost wrote:I am reading on another forum that there may be just 2 new products - the Voyager OS and the MP-201. I really do hope that's the case as i think the LP is just too new to warrant any kind of replacement/refresh imo.
theres def more coming than the 2 you mentioned... :D
...like a Moog Guitar? :?: