Vocoder

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Pointers

Vocoder

Post by Pointers » Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:59 pm

does anyone know where i can get a vocoder or who makes them these days? im just lookin for one for me band cos no ones used them for years (or so im told) so id like to get one

any help is appreciated

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:04 pm

Digitech makes a simple vocoder call the Talker. You can find them on Ebay for around $120. Not the best but good for playing live.

s16016wb

Post by s16016wb » Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:11 pm

Agreed that the Digitech Talker is your best bet for a vocoder for live use - fairly idiot-proof. I wish I still had mine.

Electrix made one called the Warp Factory that is quite nice. Stereo in/out, mic pre, built-in oscillator for stand-alone use, filters are more flexible than the Talker and capable of some really twisted sounds. Can be found on eBay also around $120. I got mine from GC that was presumed dead for $50. All it needed was a new fuse. Suckers.

Alesis makes an inexpensive one called the MetaVox. Has anyone used one of these?

I've heard good things about the MAM vocoder:

http://www.mam-germany.de/

Of course, if you have the cash for it, there's the Doepfer setup:

http://www.doepfer.de/a129e.htm

:twisted:

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:06 am

paia let's you make one for a pretty decent price....if you like fiddling.. try this vocoder out

http://www.paia.com/vocoder.htm

oldsynthguy

Post by oldsynthguy » Fri May 14, 2004 12:30 pm

I really like the Electrix vocoder but there's a noticeable lag so it's not so good for percussive sounds if you're running it live. If you sample it or record it to your hard drive and compensate for the delay, it's fine. The best thing about the Electrix products is they all respond to MIDI controllers so you can automate your knob tweaking.

I think Zoom released an effects processor which included a vocoder and lots of other useful effects and was really cheap, maybe around $100. I'm not sure if this had a separate input for carrier signal though. I doubt it's as nice as the Electrix.

Opcode made a software vocoder plugin. There are probably others now too. With software, there is no longer any need for hardware vocoders.

So who wants to sell me their Sennheiser or Moog / Bode vocoder now? ;)
WANTED TO BUY:
Old Synthesizers, Effects, Drum Machines, Sequencers, Modules & Studio Gear, *BROKEN OK*. I'm especially interested in older analog / modular synths (Moog, ARP, Buchla, Serge, EMS, EML, Emu, Polyfusion, etc). EMAIL: [email protected]

Headphones

Re: Vocoder

Post by Headphones » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:53 am

I'd love to see a Moog Vocoder, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Novation A-station had a 12 band vocoder I do believe...

Korg has supported them lately with the MS-2000, Radias, R3, microKorg, etc...

Electro-Harmonix has some vododer pedals worth checking out...

And TC Electronic has a vocoder pedal as well...

Hope that helps...

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:04 am

I use the vocoder in my Nord G1. Very flexible. And a ton of people are using them currently. Just not for Psiylon(sp?) voices.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

gtivr6fan

Post by gtivr6fan » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:17 pm

+1 Electro-Harmonix
Got the "Voice Box", a bit ago. Great for live use, built like tank. Pretty much idiot proof as well.
Umm, who exactly told you that "no ones used them for years"? More like "'over' used them for years" :lol:
Boxes full o' wires, n stuff n stuff...

Unfiltered

Post by Unfiltered » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:12 am

I just got a Korg VC10 for about $750. Beyond cool. It has a simple paraphonic tone generator. I thought this might be kind of cheesy, but it has an external input to patch in other synths, so I got it. But now I realize the internal sound works way better than any external source, and allows you to control the sound with the voice much better. I have heard other vocoders, including the moog, but I like the sound of the korg and roland VP keyboards better. I have never heard any digital vocoder that sonded good. The Native instruments has a decent one, i think part or Reaktor?, but its not the same kind of sound as analog at all. Speaking of Reaktor, has anyone ever created a modular synth with analog moogerfoogers or other modules? You can setup a keyboard so a key triggers an effect and you can use analog routing as well.

bhrama

Post by bhrama » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:13 pm

What is your budget?

Rolands SVC-350 is one of the best, usually go for $800-1300
http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/vocoder.php

Moog's vintage Vocoder is stupid expensive, and a rare bird. Saw one in Chicago for 4k
http://www.vintagesynth.com/moog/moogvocoder.php

For less $$ try to find a BOSS VT-1, Roland VP-7 or a Korg KP3
P6, Tempest, Sub37