new 8 voice all analog poly

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
mee3d

Post by mee3d » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:50 pm

I have a good understanding of modular synthesis, so I'm sure I'll get there.

I have never owned a modular, mainly because I like playable instruments... for me something like the Chroma is fantastic (or just a piano)... always wanted a SCi T8 for it's weighted keyboard but never quite got there so I will be checking out the prophet08's velocity and aftertouch at some point.

Also looking at the LP at some point to replace my aging Source... looks fun... i can see my Voyager collecting dust!
http://www.mee3d.com
3d animation & compositing | multimedia design & production | web design & development | dvd authoring & encoding | audio surround mixing & composition

synthetic

Post by synthetic » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:24 pm

The Andromeda is a great synth, but based on new technology (analog ASICs) that needs to be treated differently. There's very low voltage that runs through the ASICs, and the clipping is generally not very pleasing. There are a bunch of articles on the web that tell you how to get the best out of it, google "a6 tips and tricks." But a few quickies:

- Run the oscillator levels really low, like 10%
- Use the suboscillator around 32% for a thicker sawtooth sound
- Go easy on the effects, they're not the strong suit of the synth for some reason
- Try running oscillator 1 and 2 in hard sync, then using Unison X to double it, this can be a nice (8-voice) sound.
- Check out the process generator for faster attack times

It's a very cool, interesting-sounding synth. I both love and hate it some days: Love the filters, hate the oscillators wide-open. Most of my favorite sounds out of it are dark pads and thin leads. I've never gotten a bass sound I liked out of it, and I've been trying since it came out. But I placed my order for a Voyager this morning, so that won't be a problem anymore. 8)

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:47 pm

thanks for that... I did download pretty much everything I could find on the A6, including the tips and tricks... so reading all that lot at the moment.

Worked out the OSC levels pretty early on as everything was clipping and the first thing I did was switch off the effects to hear the raw sound... I have analogue outboard (bucket delays, valve and tape echo etc) for all that.

I think for me it's primarily going to be a pad machine but I have been getting some good leads out of it... and working on CS like patches which it does relatively well.

Mal
http://www.mee3d.com
3d animation & compositing | multimedia design & production | web design & development | dvd authoring & encoding | audio surround mixing & composition

synthetic

Post by synthetic » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:14 pm

Yeah, it is the best pad machine I've ever played. Even if that is all that it did, I would still have to keep it for the creamy pads. Here's my favorite patch, something I play after a long commute:

http://home.earthlink.net/~synthetic/PWM_pad.mp3

Jauntimus Prime

Post by Jauntimus Prime » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:42 pm

I finally got to mess around with a P'08 at a Guitar Center the other day... I couldn't get much of an idea of the wonderful sounds it might produce because of the shitty little powered monitors they use for all the floor models (input gain 100%, volume 0.1%) that were distorting like mad, and because of the dude next to me who was blasting some drum 'n bass patch on a Motif turned up to 11. Not very gratifying. Obviously it looks fantastic and is pretty intuitive to program, but i can't speculate on whether Moog should be entering that war until I actually get to hear the damned thing.

I can say that while DSI's polys may not be an immediate threat to Moog, a Moog poly could certainly be a threat to DSI... IF they could match the Prophet's cost-effectiveness, which is a lofty, lofty goal. They can't do that with a Memorymoog '08, that's for sure.
"There's a reason digital audio has earned its reputation for sterility, lifelessness, and harshness. Mainly, it's because it tends to be sterile, lifeless, and harsh." [url=http://www.myspace.com/froghollowdaycamp]Frog Hollow Day Camp[/url]