new 8 voice all analog poly

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
goldphinga

new 8 voice all analog poly

Post by goldphinga » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:31 am

Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

reset

Post by reset » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:43 pm

It's eerily quiet around here...... :shock:

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:19 am

Yeah weird. Wonder if Moog new about this coming...

This is a BIG new product and will impact on Moog in a good way i think!

Does this mean we should now expect a new analog poly from Moog? Well,.... i dont think they really have a choice now but to make one.;o) It makes no sense not to make one now.

The great thing is DSI have shown their cards first so Moog can take their time to perfect their design and make a pro 08 killer!

Also the pro 8 looks great but they made a massive boo boo putting the wheels where they have.

So Moog its over to you...
bring it on
:wink:
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:15 am

reset

Post by reset » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:45 am

I think that Moog does not really need to make a polyphonic synth. After all, Moog's expertise lies vastly in monophonic synths. Would a poly Moog be cool? - sure, but I rather see Moog further innovating their concept of monophonic synths. In that sense, something like the LP and P8 could happily coexist next to each other as they seem like good complements.

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:19 pm

i think moog HAVE to make new a poly now purely because it makes no business sense not to.the memorymoog was incredible and the technology is available to do it cheaper and more reliably now and with the benefit of seeing DSI's poly first to market.

i think its silly having your biggest competitor release a poly and not choosing to enter that area of business.its def a watch this space scenario.

gd

Post by gd » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:15 pm

I have been looking into buying an analogue poly, will be interesting to see if Moog comes out with a competitive version ie. MemoryMoog 2.
Mini D, P'08 ..

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:31 pm

goldphinga wrote:i think moog HAVE to make new a poly now purely because it makes no business sense not to.the memorymoog was incredible and the technology is available to do it cheaper and more reliably now and with the benefit of seeing DSI's poly first to market.
Remember, Dave Smith uses the current crop of Curtis chips in his Evolver series and apparently in the PRO'08. The Curtis chips contain several parts of functionality on a single chip or as they say the CEM's are a "synth in a chip." In truth it does take some external hardware to make and tweak the functionality but the core of the VCO, VCF, VCA ect. are on a single chip making the product cheaper and requiring less real estate on the PCB for all of those wonderfull voices!

By contrast, look inside a MiniMoog Voyager where each section is clearly labeled (except the Filter section 8) ). Dr. Moog's design incorporates OpAmps, transistors, caps and resistors in the core of each tone generating/shaping section on top of all the other hardware required to make it sound the way people want a Moog to sound. There are alot of parts which require alot of real estate just for the single voice in the Voyager (see: http://www.till-kopper.de/voyager.html BTW, thanks Till for your great resources). Imagine how big and expensive an 8 voice MiniMoog would be.

I suppose Moog could develope it's own "synth in a chip" as was done with the Alesis Andromeda but this would require much time and cost just to get the chips into production. Ultimately, would the end result sound like a Moog? The debates and flame wars would be aplenty!

There is a reason why people buy both Moogs and DSI gear. They each have their own style and sound. But who knows? :wink:

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:28 pm

goldphinga wrote:
i think moog HAVE to make new a poly now purely because it makes no business sense not to.the memorymoog was incredible and the technology is available to do it cheaper and more reliably now and with the benefit of seeing DSI's poly first to market.

Remeber the Polymoog? 1976--"Synth in a Chip". Almost brought down the company by itself. That was then, this is now, but maybe Moog wants to stay true to Dr. Moog's original vision. Anybody can be a "me too" synth company and put out some kind of polyphonic. Not to belittle the awesome P5, but I also think that Voyagers, LPs, and P8s can all coexist very nicely.

toryjames

Post by toryjames » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:21 am

reset wrote:I think that Moog does not really need to make a polyphonic synth. After all, Moog's expertise lies vastly in monophonic synths. Would a poly Moog be cool? - sure, but I rather see Moog further innovating their concept of monophonic synths. In that sense, something like the LP and P8 could happily coexist next to each other as they seem like good complements.
I agree, when I hear the Moog name I never think of over-engineered poly synths.

dlearyus

Moog poly planned?

Post by dlearyus » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:39 am

i would much prefer purchasing a poly moog...any plans by say.....Jan 08?

ive been waiting for a poly analog...Pro-08 looks like the ticket but Moog would be my 1st choice if they release one. cmon guys retro is in with all the baby boomers :) throw us a bone guys lol

Cheers

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:40 am

The new Prophet is one good looking keyboard.

However, so is the Poly Evolver, and I just could not connect with that instrument. I ended up with an Andromeda. I still can't really connect with that one either, though. Maybe the new P8 is the one for me. I just can't seem to get the hang of the Andromeda, although it has unlimited possibilities.

The Memorymoog is one of the greatest synths ever made, but I do not want to purchase one because I already have two vintage synths, and I don't want to worry about repair bills and hard to find parts. I guess that a LAMM model would be the ticket, but who can afford one? I think that there is room in their line for Moog to make a new Memorymoog (makes more sense as a manufacturer than Taurus pedals), but what would the price be on a new synth like the Memorymoog? Gulp!!

It remains to be seen if the Prophet 8 kills Voyager sales. Why would a synth newbie pay over $3,000 for a monophonic Voyager when they can buy an 8 voice Prophet 8 for $2,000? Unless you have to have a Moog, it just doesn't make sense not to purchase the P8.

Two Grand for a new 8 voice is one helluva price, but already guys on the internet synth boards are complaining about the P8's lack of flexibility. My guess is that it is probably fine for the average guy like me, but the guys who want to be able to modulate their modulators modulations would be better off with an Andromeda. It is a great synth, but man, I just can't figure it out.

We will see if Moog will rise to the challenge to make something to battle the P8, but if they try to match the price point, is it really a Moog as we know it? Yet if they come up with a good copy of the Memorymoog for $7,000 would people buy it---they would have purchased a LAMM long ago.

Interesting times in Analog.....
Thanks Bob!!

ikazlar

Post by ikazlar » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:39 am

An analog synthesizer from Dave Smith is always welcomed (lol, you can never have enough analog, eh?)

I don't know about the price though... plus it has a significant ergonomical mistake which is the wrong placement of the mod and pitch wheels. No matter how many times I have seen them placed above the keyboad, I never liked it. It just doesn't feel ok for me.

I did however listen to a VERY nice sound in a demo..

8)

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:30 am

well i was thinking that the new Moog poly should be based on the Lp and not the voyager to make it cheaper. use the rac type pots and keep it dead simple. almost like a 5 octave polyphatty! The memorymoogs interface (i have a plus model) is really intuitive so there is no need for a new moog poly to be as complex as the voyager.

some things id like to see on a moog poly

6 voice poly (no real need for 8 voice)
rac controls interface design from the LP
ability to blend 3 waveforms per voice like on the mm+
arpeggiator
mixer that distorts when pushed
the hold control form the mm where you can play a chord, press hold and move that chord around the keyboard by playing just one note!

above all just make it sound great and keep it simple.

nice ;O)

misterhemi

Post by misterhemi » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:33 am

I have to agree with goldphinga......

However, I would be happy with a modern Memory Moog +

It doesn't necessarily have to have 8 voices..... 6 would be fine.... and look at the
Poly Evolver, it only has 4!

What I think would have been a good idea a long time ago and still now, would be to make an rack version of the Voyager WITHOUT the knobs, etc... just an expansion box with extra voices all controlled by the Voyager.

That way, you could buy a Voyager and expand it. The addition of a user interface (knobs, display, etc) add to the cost of a synth, on an expansion box this wouldn't be necessary (may just enough to configure its mode of operation).

Maybe Moog should have a poll and see if that is something that would sell AND/OR if people would just prefer a whole new synth.

As for me I like both DSI and Moog products, however, finances are what limit most people. So, people often buy what they think provides the most "bang for the buck".
Ensoniq SQ80, DSI Poly Evolver Keyboard, DSI Evolver Desktop, Alesis Ion, Kawai K5, Yamaha CS-6x, Yamaha DX-200, Akai Z4, Roland R8 & R8M, Mellotron 4-Track (sold), DSI Mopho x4, Waldorf Blofeld, Waldorf Streichfett, DSI Tempest, Moog FreqBox