Prodigy abuse.

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Joog

Prodigy abuse.

Post by Joog » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:06 am

I was lucky enough to acquire a Prodigy yesterday from a thrift shop for $895. It's in great mechanical conditon, all original knobs, all the functions work... but some evil person painted it silver with this thick, chunky paint. The next day I immediately began chipping at the paint and slowly, but surely, the gorgeous natural wood finish underneath is showing, but who would subject such a beautiful organic-looking instrument to such a horrid paint job?

Other than its third party "makeover", its my third Moog (I have a Voyager and a Micromoog) and I think it's the nicest sounding of all of them (and I'm speaking as someone who has played my Voyager every day since I picked it up in August 2003. Now I REALLY want a vintage Mini.

Feel free to comment on this horrid paint job and if you can aid me in finding the cruel person who committed this atrocity so that he/she can be brought to justice... it's serial #11543, I believe, though the number has smudged a tad on the first '1' and the "4".

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:44 am

that price ain't so thrifty.

atleast they only painted over the wood though... could've been worse!

Joog

Post by Joog » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:04 pm

Well, $895 Canadian... and at least it's in great working order.

I found after my post last night that the guy painted the bottom, too, and he scratched his name and phone number into the paint. He's local. Perhaps I'll give him a call and find out what possessed him to deface a modern piece of art.

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:08 pm

lol.....sounds like the half broken acoustic guitars they try to sell at my thrift store for $300 and the toy casio keyboards that go for $75...oh and that old dented & rusty trumpet that was marked for around $200......
oh, poor confused souls.....

martin

Post by martin » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:09 pm

poor prodigy, so much make-up!

:wink:

wood rules! go wood! wood is good!

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:58 am

OH the HORROR :shock: Please find this person and smack some sense into him. other than the paint, it looks very clean and pretty

museslave

Re: Prodigy abuse.

Post by museslave » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:50 pm

Joog wrote:I was lucky enough to acquire a Prodigy yesterday from a thrift shop for $895. It's in great mechanical conditon, all original knobs, all the functions work... but some evil person painted it silver with this thick, chunky paint. The next day I immediately began chipping at the paint and slowly, but surely, the gorgeous natural wood finish underneath is showing, but who would subject such a beautiful organic-looking instrument to such a horrid paint job?.
It looks as if they really wanted a Source. :wink:
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

fred

to clean your prodigy

Post by fred » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:27 pm

Hi, you can try to use nail polish remover to clean it up. I once use it to clean a paint mess (kinda like yours) on a synth and this product was strong enough to remove the paint but not strong enough to take the original varnish off.

Good luck, Give me news,

Fred
Source, Voyager. www.pafdisques.com

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:08 pm

Sorry, but most nail polishes use acetone and will melt a Prodigy overlay.
Might try a citrus based solvent like De-SolvIt or something like that.
Most petroleum based solvents will affect plastic. :(

carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:56 pm

You could try removing the guts for safekeeping and using a heat gun and thin steel putty knife to get the paint off.

Laquer thinner and sanding would take care of the residue then you could use a nice polyurethane clearcoat.
Best Regards, James
--
http://www.carbon111.com