"America" from westside Story - moog style.

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
mee3d

"America" from westside Story - moog style.

Post by mee3d » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:39 pm

Just for fun.

After a very long time I'm finally getting round to completing the Jean-Jacques Perrey interview... It's a 2 part interview with the first half almost cut and the second half comprising most of the rlmusic.co.uk interview and some more stuff we shot on the day (so the second half is already half done).

I just have the opening animation, segueways and credit roll to complete in the next few weeks.

So, lots of archive material has gone in, lots of photos and never-before-heard tracks but I had some trouble in trying to get a copy of Leonard Bernstein's "America" (from Westside Story) to help with the section where JJ is talking about his first few weeks in America and demoing the Ondioline to Leonard Bernstien... I thought there was a moog version out there somewhere but none of us could find it so in the end I fired up the moogs and laid down my own, somewhat retro/progressive rock version... It only appears in the interview for about 20 seconds and very quietly but was still fun to do as a complete track.

This is just my memorymoog and minimoog Voyager (and ToonTrack's EZDrummer VSTi plug-in). The lead lines were recorded in from the Voyager keyboard as MIDI so that they could be cleaned up and quantized (quite a difficult piece to play with many key changes) but the poly lines where recorded live from the memorymoog as that is without MIDI.

The Voyager's output went directly into a Metasonix Gas Vacuum Tube pre-amp which gives it that raw sound and then fed into an old borrowed Roland 201 tape driven "Space" Echo, before being recorded back into an audio channel in Steinberg's Nuendo 3.... all reverb is by TCWorks Powercore Card.

All inaccuracies in timing and tuning have been left in intentionally to give it a lively, flappy retro feeling but that could just be an excuse for my bad playing ;-)

This is the underscore version... there is a version with samples of JJ rapping over the top but that's for another day.

Enjoy.

Mal

http://www.kj-films.com/meethreedee/moog/America.mp3
http://www.mee3d.com
3d animation & compositing | multimedia design & production | web design & development | dvd authoring & encoding | audio surround mixing & composition

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:40 pm

Hoorah! Not another Guerilla Myspace Marketer!

Wow, that was really, really cool. Good job Mel! Good to hear the MM is back up and running, too.

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:43 pm

Well... it was done just for fun... I only spent about 5 hours on it and most of that was getting the parts in so I wouldn't say it was a masterpiece... just thought you guys would like to hear it.

I am happy that I think I got that 70's "moog tribute" feeling to the overall sound.

Memorymoog was fully serviced in Feb and it rocks... just the Opus3 to rebuild now!

Mal ... with an "A" ;-) (and no Myspace to my name!)
http://www.mee3d.com
3d animation & compositing | multimedia design & production | web design & development | dvd authoring & encoding | audio surround mixing & composition

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:42 pm

mee3d wrote:Well... it was done just for fun... I only spent about 5 hours on it and most of that was getting the parts in so I wouldn't say it was a masterpiece... just thought you guys would like to hear it.

I am happy that I think I got that 70's "moog tribute" feeling to the overall sound.

Memorymoog was fully serviced in Feb and it rocks... just the Opus3 to rebuild now!

Mal ... with an "A" ;-) (and no Myspace to my name!)
Whoops, I spelt it with an "e" in the sonic state post too, sorry.

5 hours is good going!

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:56 pm

Do you happen to be using pressure as a Mod Source? I love that swept Voyager lead patch, anyway!