Moog Source Vocal Input????

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
rynaro

Moog Source Vocal Input????

Post by rynaro » Sun May 27, 2007 9:26 pm

Hi i want to run a vocal from my sm57 through the source.
How do i do this?
Any recemonded products?
my budget is around $100
-Ryan
Moog Source SN:1578

MC

Post by MC » Sun May 27, 2007 11:11 pm

The Source does not have an audio input. You'll have to have it modified.

rynaro

Post by rynaro » Mon May 28, 2007 2:51 am

Ok how would i do that?

till

Post by till » Mon May 28, 2007 3:38 am

Better let someone with experience in synths and other elctronics do that. And if you would like to feed in mic without first amplifying it with a preamp, you have to build in a preamp.
All this is not something for beginners of soldering.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

rynaro

Post by rynaro » Mon May 28, 2007 7:24 pm

Ok i have a preamp but i was after something external for the CV input on the back of the source.
I saw something on ebay ages ago about a "CV converter for the source and other synths" would that have been what i needed?

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Tue May 29, 2007 5:12 pm

rynaro wrote:Ok i have a preamp but i was after something external for the CV input on the back of the source.
I saw something on ebay ages ago about a "CV converter for the source and other synths" would that have been what i needed?
A "CV convertor" would be a device to convert MIDI messages to Control Voltage (CV). It allows you to interface your pre-MIDI insrument with a MIDI sequencer, MIDI controller, etc.

It's not what you would use to send your voice into the Source's Filter. As someone above noted, there is no external signal input on the source. Many Moog synths do have an external signal input (for your mic, guitar, etc), but the source didn't.

You could modify the Source, adding a 1/4" jack input to the filter. This wouldn't be very difficult at all. But if you don't have any experience with electronics, it's probably not the best place to start--you could easily damage your $1000 vintage Source. But if you're willing to take some time to learn some basic electronic skills first-- you could figure it out.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen too much on the web about modifing the Source. Unlike most other Moogs, I don't think people typically modify this synth much (aside from adding MIDI). So, you won't find much help on the web for this modification. But there is alot of info about doing this mod to other Moogs, and you could probably adapt that info to the Source.

However, it would be much quicker and easier to just buy a Moogerfooger Low Pass Filter, and simply use that for your vocals. The main thing you would be doing by putting your vocals through the Source is using it's filter-- the MF101 is essentially the same thing.

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Tue May 29, 2007 5:31 pm

eric coleridge wrote: However, it would be much quicker and easier to just buy a Moogerfooger Low Pass Filter, and simply use that for your vocals. The main thing you would be doing by putting your vocals through the Source is using it's filter-- the MF101 is essentially the same thing.
I also vote for this solution eric has suggested, unless you have electronics modifying skills you really don't wanna go opening that thing up without Service Manual schematics.
I did this same (audio input to filter) mod to my MG-1 (widely available instructions on the Internet) but frankly it wasn't a very impressive or interesting mod.
I could've done some more work to add a new PCB inside the case that could use the incoming audio signal to trigger the Gate for the envelope generators & get a more dynamic sound but it didn't seem worth it at the time.

Don't get me wrong, it's probably a very simple electronic mod to your source. Rather it is more a question if the planning, reading schematics, unscrewing of chassis, drilling holes in the chassis will actually yield the results you expect or hope for. That is more of what you are weighing here.

rynaro

thanks

Post by rynaro » Thu May 31, 2007 12:57 am

OK thanks guys you have all been great help ..... i think i will get the moogerfooger 101 :-)