The Packrat...Most of us should be able to relate to this...

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
mee3d

Post by mee3d » Wed May 09, 2007 12:06 pm

Yeah but Kevin, you have probably had through your hands more vintage kit then anyone on this forum ;-)

I have "owned" a lot of vintage gear but there's still quite a few synths/units that I would just like to have the pleasure to play for an afternoon... I wouldn't need to own them.
http://www.mee3d.com
3d animation & compositing | multimedia design & production | web design & development | dvd authoring & encoding | audio surround mixing & composition

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Wed May 09, 2007 5:21 pm

mee3d wrote:So now my main chop synth is a Rhodes Chroma which can sound quite like a Roland JP8 or Oberheim OB8 (that A/B comparison thing again), below that is a Roland PK5 pedal board midi'd to a Moog Source, above it is an ARP Pro-Soloist, to the left I have an 88 note master keyboard connected to an iMac G5 which runs my VSTi's, above that is a memorymoog ... to the right of the Chroma is a Korg Polysix and above that is a Korg mini700, somewhere in the middle is a Voyager while my Opus3 is out having it's sliders replaced ... it all switches on in a jiffy, stays in tune and makes you want to play, especially the Chroma and Pro-soloist with their velocity sensitive and aftertouch keyboards.

Sounds sweet.
Yup, the Chroma is sweet :)

Presently, I am using four keyboards:

Rhodes 73 Suitcase
Moog Voyager AE
Rhodes Chroma
Korg MS-20

For me, it is about having four independent instruments (two of them being monophonic) for four (or five with the Chroma KB split) different sounds. I love the synths to bits, but I still rate the Rhodes the highest due to it's simplicity. They all come with me when we play live. Heavy, but well worth it to have the options.

Much of what we play is improvised, so often I play simple-ish lines and sculpt the texture either on the panel or using outboard effects.

Of course I could have ONE fancy new digi keyboard that's 1000000 voice polyphonic and polytimbral, but it wouldn't feel right now, would it?

synthetic

Post by synthetic » Wed May 30, 2007 12:27 am

Hah, I'm glad I'm not the only sicko who asked, "where's the modular?" :)

You know, you only get one ride on this rollercoaster of life. Live each day to the fullest. I know a girl in her 20s who has had two strokes. Credit card balance be damned, I could drop dead tomorrow.

synthetic

Post by synthetic » Wed May 30, 2007 12:28 am

Yeah Kevin, that's like my friend who works for Hans Zimmer remarking that he doesn't own any synths. ;)