What's your favorite "moog band"?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
MoogMeister81

Post by MoogMeister81 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:01 am

My favorite bands who use a Moog synthesizer are ELO (Electric Light Orchestra), ELP (Emerson, Lake & Palmer), Asia, Kansas, Supertramp and legions of other prog-rock bands.
I am proud to be a Moogerfooger of the Northwest.

sundaeclubber

Post by sundaeclubber » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:10 am

MoogMeister81 wrote:My favorite bands who use a Moog synthesizer are ELO (Electric Light Orchestra), ELP (Emerson, Lake & Palmer), Asia, Kansas, Supertramp and legions of other prog-rock bands.
I thought Supertramp were Oberheim users........? Maybe their Moog is drowned out by the Wurli !! ;-)
Sundae Club* http://www.s-club.co.uk
Moog-Filled Album "TECHNOSTALGIA"
from
http://www.cdbaby.com/sundaeclub
and in your local iTunes store

http://www.myspace.com/sundaeclub

vorlon42

Post by vorlon42 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:49 am

My favorite synth players/performers/bands that used Moogs, in no particular order:

- Wendy Carlos (Switched-On Bach was my formal intro to synths)
- ELP
- ELO
- Gary Wright ("Dream Weaver" still rocks my world)
- Devo
- Saga
- Gary Numan
- Kansas
- Asia (Remember Geoff Downes' altar of 15+ keyboards? I'd hate to be his roadie!)
- Yes (specifically, Rick Wakeman and Patrick Moraz)
- Rush (Geddy Lee used Taurus pedals for the high-pitched pedal tones)
- Billy Joel (I once saw a photo of him with a Mini in the background)
- Spyro Gyra (Tom Schuman)
- early Styx (while Jon Curulewski was with the band)

Sundaeclubber's right. Supertramp used mostly Oberheim gear. I still like their music, nevertheless.

Did Elton John or anyone in his band also use Moogs?
[i]"Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." --Elbert Hubbard[/i]

swirley Jr

Post by swirley Jr » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:21 pm

i hate the locust. i was totally set to get into them when i'd heard about them.. but it's just.. random. technical, insane, whatever.. not that they're not good musicians, they play their instruments well. they just don't make good music.

anyway, i know deftones have a minimoog somewhere in their rig, but i can't hear it. i love everything except the self-titled album, but.. they don't really have prominant moog sounds.

cKy is a band that i love, and their album "IDR" has moogs scattered everywhere.

oh, i forgot ZOMBI. they're the best. the drummer uses a source or something.

MC

Post by MC » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:42 pm

- Asia (Remember Geoff Downes' altar of 15+ keyboards? I'd hate to be his roadie!)
It peaked at 22 keyboards :shock:
- Billy Joel (I once saw a photo of him with a Mini in the background)
The only song I heard Minimoog was the solo on "Angry Young Man" (not to be confused with Styx "Fooling Yourself (Angry Young Man)")

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:42 pm

Nobody is into Beck!? He's a mooger from hell. Midnite Vultures hardly has anything else on it! Also, you can't escape the Devo.

Check this out: www.AlabamaJihad.tk there are only two songs on the site, and neither are thier best work, but still. Travis (synth player) uses a Moog Rogue and also a Roland Juno106
I'm sure you guys haven't seen these guys either. I know they are both Roland powered, but it's pretty cool:
www.tubezomzoms.com
www.yipyip.com (or maybe it's .tk)

MC

Post by MC » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:37 pm

Roger Manning formerly of Moog Cookbook plays in Beck.

Missed that one too...

base1001

Post by base1001 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:08 pm

Stereolab sounds nice.
[color=blue][i][size=84]sel[/size][/i][/color]

Nick Montoya

Post by Nick Montoya » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:20 am

Too many good ones to choose from but off the top of my head my favorite
"Moogists" are :
Stevie Wonder ( with malcom cecil and bob marguolef), Boogie on Reggae woman is the shiznit..

Dick Hyman ( Ive been listen to his "moog:eclectric electric of" album alot. Such a beautiful piece of art. BUY THIS TODAY.. or try to down load the song "monotaur" or "the moog and me" -which Beck sampled for "Sissyneck". The classic intro whistle ! DOPE!

(back to the list)

Kraftwerk (of course, KLINGKLANG til my death sukka)_

Bernie (the man)Worrell - He would get the krazy sounds out of the mini.
My favorite bernie moog is either "supergroovilisticproslifunktication" or "psychoalphadiscobetabioaquadooloo (underwater boogie baby)

And of course last but certainly not least THE MOOG COOKBOOK !
Both Roger and Brian are two of the koolest guys ever. Super humble, awesome moth**f*cker*zz & No Midi sukkers .. now you're friggin talking.

Oy yes can't forget JB and nick from AIR !!!! MY frenchmen from ze plant moogtronique)

Also can't for get about my friend OLLIE from IMAROBOT. For how fucked up his multimoog is it still sounds awesome :)

Anyway thats good for now.. Oy yeah..
swirley Jr wrote:cKy is a band that i love, and their album "IDR" has moogs scattered everywhere.

I pretty sure Bam and friends mainly use the Korg Ms2000 modeling synth.
It can sound pretty damn "moogy" (i know, I own one) but comes no where near the intense sonic quality of say my Minimoog. Or any synth with a genuine Moog 24db/octave filter :) I could always be horribly wrong:(
http://www.thevoltperoctaves.com

http://www.myspace.com/thevoltperoctaves

http://www.moogmusic.com/artists/?cat_id=28

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:43 pm

I knew about Ima Robot, but i had no idea they were moogers. Do you know them personally?

swirley Jr

Post by swirley Jr » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:56 am

Nick Putrid wrote:
swirley Jr wrote:cKy is a band that i love, and their album "IDR" has moogs scattered everywhere.

I pretty sure Bam and friends mainly use the Korg Ms2000 modeling synth.
It can sound pretty damn "moogy" (i know, I own one) but comes no where near the intense sonic quality of say my Minimoog. Or any synth with a genuine Moog 24db/octave filter :) I could always be horribly wrong:(
yes, you are horribly wrong right now. just kidding. anyways, haha.

bam doesn't have anything to do with the band cky. his brother jess is the drummer and that's about the extent of it.

BUT, in the IDR booklet, they specify in the credits that both chad ginsburg and deron miller provide moogs on the album.

also...
Question:
hey chad, what moogs did you guys use? a friend of mine owns Moog UK, he's re-made the mini-moog using all analogue bits, they sound amazing. If you guys fancy one i can try n sort something out, i cant promise anything though.
asked by Cam on Friday, February 6, 2004

Answer:
we used early 70's minimoogs. ill put a picture of it on chadginsburg.com, hook it up cam. email me. ~roCk
answered by CIG on Friday, February 6 , 2004 9:17 PM
that's from ask cky on the site. so i'm pretty sure they used real moogs.

Codackussell

Bands

Post by Codackussell » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:30 am

I think 70's era RUSH is great moog use. Rush also took out Oberheims in the early/late 80's. Now onstage Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson trigger samples of Moog keyboards and others, so they don't have shat load of gear on stage. They sound pretty good!
I've posted my words... What more do you want?! Would you like some ice cream? Perhaps some hot fudge? Ovaltine???

sjm

Post by sjm » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:49 am

French band Air, without a doubt, as their use of Minimoog is very elegant and not cheesy at all (like some people). In particular the album Moon Safari, in particular the outro solo to opening track La Femme D'argent - simply THE single most chillingly awesome Moog sound I've ever heard.

Also UK rockers Marillion had some pretty cool Moog solos on their early stuff. Sounds a bit dated now, though...

ebg31

Re: Wakeman?

Post by ebg31 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:56 pm

DBER wrote:Lately, I've been doing a lot of Rick Wakeman listening. His work on the Model D is amazing. He takes a classical piano technique and transfers it to his moog. He is also an amazing composer; listen to Journey to the Centre of the Earth. His music is very interesting to listen to. Most of his songs will have classical piano, jammin on an organ, and outstanding moog solos all in one. Give him a listen.
Yeah, I really appreciate Rick's "Moog-arama." My favorite songs of his where he sticks those Mini's in there are "Guinavere," (from Myths & Legends of King Arthur) "Catherine Howard," (from Six Wives of Henry VIII) a solo he did live w/ Yes, where he joined excerpts from three seperate Henry VIII compositions and "Still Waters Run Deep" (a song featuring Justin Hayward on lead vocals taken from Return to the Centre of the Earth). [I know, run-on sentence, but what can you do?] I know that Emerson made equal use of his Mini to Wakeman, but I think that Keith is more defined by his modular, while Rick is defined by the Mini.
"The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive," - Eric Benjamin Gordon, 2001

Thank you Lord for Doctor Robert Moog!

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon

littletanto

Post by littletanto » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:22 am

The old (pre Roger Powell) Todd Rudgren's Utopia had a Utopia live album that featured several synthesists including Moogy Klingman on a modular. For its time, it was an amazing mix of Rudgrens excellent guitar and various keyboardists on synthesizers (Mini's and Modulars).
Sync em up and punch it!