What's your favorite "moog band"?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Dannymon

Post by Dannymon » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:17 pm

Stereolab are just a bunch a badasses put together, how can anyone say they are not good? their last album is rocking! and those Moog sounds you hear in there are pretty inspiring.

gd

Post by gd » Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:56 am

ELP

atwiggum

no favorites, but.......

Post by atwiggum » Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:13 am

THE RENTALS! yeah, matt sharp is the stuff and maya rudolph, come on. this is the best pimp and deva duo since tina and ike went wrong.

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:39 am

One of my favorite Moog solos is by Don Preston on Frank Zappa's "Fillmore East, June 1971" album. The solo is called "Lonesome Electric Turkey" and is apparently an excerpt from "King Kong".

In fact, just the other day I was thinking of putting together a mix of my favorite Moog solos: the aforementioned "Lonesome Electric Turkey", the solo from the middle of the first movement of Yes's "Tales from Topographic Oceans", ELP's "Lucky Man", and Patrick Moraz's solo on "Sound Chaser" from "Relayer" (not actually sure that that's a Moog...)

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:59 am

Definately Emerson Lake and Palmer!

Keith Emerson was one of the first (if not THE first) rock artists to use a Moog onstage. His modular Moog system is legendary. See pix of it here on the Moog web site RE 5/18/2004 concert in NYC.

gd

Post by gd » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:46 pm

What did Emerson use for the Fanfare for the Common Man track?

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:26 am

The main fanfare theme is the Yamaha GX-1, a huge rare and expensive, top of the line Yamaha Electone Organ . . . the precurser to the CS-80. When that died he used an Elka Synthex for the same sound (although he never recorded with the Synthex?).

mal

HowIMadeMyMillions

AIR and the Rentals for sure......

Post by HowIMadeMyMillions » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:16 am

I agree.....Matt Sharp stamped the moog name on my heart the first time I heard "Waiting" ....oh how he went wrong with his 2nd album which wasn't bad but made me realize "the return of..." was a one of a kind. The rentals also turned me on to the beloved moog source. AIR and their moon safari minimoog come a close second only because i appreciate them more as musicians (perfect melodies via chord progressions) then as moog enthusists. PICK UP THEIR live IMPORT DVD "electronic performers" ....puts the stereolab argument to rest :). The 3rd would have to be anything by Brian Kehew and the MCB boyz. They helped the stamp on my heart become an infection.

gd

Post by gd » Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:57 pm

thanks mal, I am just going through nothing but frustration trying to find an Opus 3 or Source that is not beyond repair where I live. I have always been a big fan of ELP, Yes and early Genesis. I happened by a music store in a small town that had an Ensoniq MRk. I was pleasantly surprised at its range of sounds but then again there was nothing else in there to compare it to. He used to sell Moogs in the 70's and everytime he would think back to "those wonderous machines" he would smile - at least until he talked about the Polymoog and its problems.

FreqOut

Post by FreqOut » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:18 pm

The Moog Cookbook!!! Best synth band ever. The overture at the beginning of "Buddy Holly" is a masterpiece. 'nuff said.

I also like: Jean-Michel Jarre, Vangelis, Tomita, Wendy Carlos, Kraftwork, Tangerine Dream,

And bands that aren't really synth bands, but use synths, like:
Stereolab, The Rentals, Trans-Am, Pink Floyd, Stevie Wonder, Herbie Hancock, Queen's "Flash Gordon" album, ELO, P-Funk, etc...

DBER

Wakeman?

Post by DBER » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:10 pm

Lately, I've been doing a lot of Rick Wakeman listening. His work on the Model D is amazing. He takes a classical piano technique and transfers it to his moog. He is also an amazing composer; listen to Journey to the Centre of the Earth. His music is very interesting to listen to. Most of his songs will have classical piano, jammin on an organ, and outstanding moog solos all in one. Give him a listen.

Rob Smith

PINK FLOYD MOOGS

Post by Rob Smith » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:44 pm

FLOYD didnt use moogs on dark side of the moon it was all vcs3 and vcs3aks. However, they did use them on the live tour for darkside because they were more stable . The first album that the mini moogs were used on was Wish you were here along with vcs3 for sound effects and the arp string ensemble. on have a cigar rick wright would play the lead on two minis at the same time because the lead used two notes at a time.They would continue to use them on animals and the wall. the wall was the first time rick used the prophet 5 by sequential circuits his first true poly synth :D
minimoog

ouijasaucer

Post by ouijasaucer » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:35 am

Add N to X

Check them out at: http://www.addntox.com/

RL

Post by RL » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:58 pm

:lol: S A G A :lol:

sundaeclubber

Post by sundaeclubber » Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:35 am

Sundaeclub!!!

..... actually the member who listed "Manfred Mann's Earthband" has a point! just check out those solos on 'Angel Station' and 'The Roaring Silence'!!!

Sundaeclub's debut album out on the 31st August tho....! Huge amounts of minimoog, Prodigy and Rogue, and more real Mellotron than you can shake a Chapman Stick at....

Web forum on http://www.technostalgictunes.com/board/
Sundae Club* http://www.s-club.co.uk
Moog-Filled Album "TECHNOSTALGIA"
from
http://www.cdbaby.com/sundaeclub
and in your local iTunes store

http://www.myspace.com/sundaeclub