Micro/multi expression pedal question

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
solarpanelasses

Micro/multi expression pedal question

Post by solarpanelasses » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:52 pm

I have both a micro and a multi, when I plug in the moog expression pedal into any of the cv inputs nothing happens. I want to be able to control the cutoff on either one via expression pedal, but it doesnt seem to work at all on either synth in any of the cv inputs/outputs. Any reccomendations or will this not even work?

till

Post by till » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:44 am

expression pedals are normally made to receive a +5 V voltage and attenuate it and feed the lowered voltage back to the synth to make some changes. It uses steareo plugs.

A CV input is always a pure voltage input. So you have to provide the voltage. And most CV in and outputs are using monophonic plugs. Some synths used a stereo socket to provide CV in and out put in a single (= cheaper) socket.

So you have to use an active expression pedal with batteries inside.
Or you have to modify an existing passive expression pedal to deliver the voltage that is attenuated and then feed in the Moog.

Most nowadays keyboard have expression pedal ins, but not real pure CV ins. That is why you don't find active pedals at the music shop in your town.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:05 pm

You can make an active voltage pedal by connecting a 9 volt battery to the input of a passive volume pedal. The red wire of the battery clip goes to the tip, the black wire goes to the sleeve.

Then the output will be 0-9volts, which will be suficient.

You can buy various commercial voltage pedals (mostly from the 70s, some from the 80s) but they are usually expensive--due to the fact that they are no longer being manufatured. Voltage Control was an obsolete standard for many years and is only recently starting to be used again--with the resurgence of interest in Modular Synthesis.

Neekau

Post by Neekau » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:13 am

The Yamaha FC9 is still available :wink:

solarpanelasses

Post by solarpanelasses » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:36 am

i actually think im gonna buy this:

http://www.rhodeselectrics.com/korgcvpedal.htm

It looks really sturdy compared to all the plastic ones out there, and that LFO feature is pretty awesome too.

nathan

Post by nathan » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:06 pm

boss fv-series and yamaha fc are an option.
but this "korg" one is nice!

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:50 am

solarpanelasses wrote:i actually think im gonna buy this:

http://www.rhodeselectrics.com/korgcvpedal.htm

It looks really sturdy compared to all the plastic ones out there, and that LFO feature is pretty awesome too.
Yes! This is perfect. Very similar to the Korg MS03-- which sometimes sells for as much as $300-$500 because of it's rarity. I was fortunate to find one of these korg pedals for use with my Ms20 for a good price (maybe $50) but when they rarely come up on e-bay, they typically sell at ridiculous prices.

So, it's cool that someone is now making a nice, sturdy alternative.

It's a little high-- 99 euros is like $150, I think? But it looks nice.

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:58 am

I think the Boss FV-500 series is about the beefiest one out there. I just love mine. It comes in a high-impedance model or a low-impedance with stereo ins/outs. Either way, its totally worth the $.
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

nathan

Post by nathan » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:32 pm

Boss fv500 is €89,-and has expr. output, but no LFO! :wink:

solarpanelasses

Post by solarpanelasses » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:53 pm

One more question about this, I will have to connect a cable from the pedal to the synth, can I use a regular instrument cable or will it have to be TRS?