Modern Moog Modular?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Demokid

Post by Demokid » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:20 pm

I bought this… the closest I could come to a moog modular. I’m very happy and it looks and sounds fantastic and has the same nice knowbs as the Model D.

Pictures:
http://www.esnips.com/web/sizerpix

Kind regards
Demokid
Gearlist: Andromeda A6, Emu E4XT Ultra, Korg MS20, Minimoog Model D (incl.MIDI), Minimoog Voyager AE, Roland Jupiter-8 (MIDI), RE-301, Prophet~5 (Rev3.3 incl MIDI), Poly Evolver Keyboard, Pro~One, Prophet 08, Synthesizers.com Custom Studio-44

nicholas d. kent

Post by nicholas d. kent » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:00 pm

I along with many other people have been more or less guessing that sooner or later there will be enough moogerfoogers to a usable modular.

The idea is very good marketing because there are only a handfull of music shops in the world that actually sell modulars but hundreds that sell moogerfoogers, plus Moog already proved that they can sell a fair quantity of their control processor that you can only use with other modules... err pedals ;-)

I really appreciate that the Moogerfoogers have ample control voltage options.

Something that would be a great plus would be to offer the moogerfoogers in a modular form factor that you could really rack. I mean you can mount them now somehow, but that's not really so efficient.

As for "reissuing" stuff the problem is besides parts being expensive or totally unavailable the price gets really high. And if the price gets high no one buys it. There's the often repeated story that in the early 1980s the Minimoog was selling in profitable numbers but the profit margin was disappearing because the price to build them was rising fast. So the discontinued it, which might be sad but makes sense that a more expensive one would just sell a lot less and then it would be even more expensive because of lost sales.

janus

Post by janus » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:00 pm

http://www.cluboftheknobs.com/

very nice but a lot of money ;-)

Volker

martin

Post by martin » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:20 pm

club of the knobs is a funny name! :wink:

is the synthesizers.com close to the moog sound? and the knob-club system? they sure look like moogs, but how do they compare? has anyone got first-hand experience?

club of the knobs! :D

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:04 pm

Club of the Knobs.

I could be WAY off base here as sometimes my memory is sketchy, but I seem to remember that a VERY WELL REGARDED synth tech was approached to sell these in the US. In the end he was not pleased with the quality, or the companies customer service.

You might want to check around before you invest in a Club of the Knobs product, to see if my recollection is correct. I don't want to diss the product if I have the company mixed up with another. Just wanted to warn in case I was right. If I am wrong, my utter apologies to Club of the Knobs.

Don't take my word for it--do some more checking on your own.
Thanks Bob!!

Demokid

Post by Demokid » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:47 am

Don’t know if the .COM sounds similar to a Moog Modular since I never tested a real Moog Modular. What I can say is that the .COM has a very pleasant warm and organic moogy sound. The transistor ladder filter sounds a bit different then my Moog’s but in a good way, it has it’s own sound. I like the sound especially since the output level is not reduced when resonance is increased. This feature is jumper-selectable so you can get the Moog type sound where the output level is reduced but I find it very usable.

I have only heard positive comments from COTK users. I know COTK had some early quality problems but it was a long time ago. I’m planning to buy their 48bD/Oct VCF.

Kind regards
Demokid
Gearlist: Andromeda A6, Emu E4XT Ultra, Korg MS20, Minimoog Model D (incl.MIDI), Minimoog Voyager AE, Roland Jupiter-8 (MIDI), RE-301, Prophet~5 (Rev3.3 incl MIDI), Poly Evolver Keyboard, Pro~One, Prophet 08, Synthesizers.com Custom Studio-44

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:28 pm

Here's a couple of quickly done movies I put up last night of a Moog 55 as yet unrestored.
Sorry for the low lighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXq6tRJRRxA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MppBBtmvd0

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:26 pm

That sounds worth seeing. Is there any chance this will be available on another site, for those of us who can no longer log onto YouTube because of their decision to enter into an agreement with the BBC that would make us liable to fines if we use YouTube.

nathan

Post by nathan » Tue May 01, 2007 1:20 am

wow

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Tue May 01, 2007 12:03 pm

Sweep wrote:That sounds worth seeing. Is there any chance this will be available on another site, for those of us who can no longer log onto YouTube because of their decision to enter into an agreement with the BBC that would make us liable to fines if we use YouTube.
come again?

who is us?

nathan

Post by nathan » Tue May 01, 2007 3:34 pm

uk/english men

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Tue May 01, 2007 5:11 pm

but not females?

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Tue May 01, 2007 6:06 pm

electrical_engineer_gEEk wrote:who is us?
Anyone in Britain who doesn't want to watch TV and pay a license every twelve months for that.

In Britain you have to pay this before you can watch anything at all. Soem of us aren't interested, but we get endlessly pestered by the paranoid idiots at the licensing place, who can't accept that some people don't want to pay for their trash and think anyone who doesn't have a license must be cheating them.

An agreement between YouTube and the BBC puts BBC programmes on YouTube, making it possible for the license people to start claiming we need to pay for a license because we could watch these programmes. At the moment it's a grey area, but they've been pestering for years over whether we own computers, so it's obvious what they're ultimately after.

At the moment the only defence is to avoid YouTube.

The whole thing is a massive pain in the posterior.

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Tue May 01, 2007 8:26 pm

I doubt they can obtain records of where you went and even then it could be argued that it's your ISP violating such a law by providing unfiltered access for its subscribers.
Laws are cheap to pass, but it costs lots to investigate, enforce and prosecute offenders.
I doubt you have much to worry about, but being in the states, I just can't say.

I can feel for you though.
I have no TV reception at all by choice and wouldn't like some company pestering me either.

If you can handle AVI's done on a Mac, I've uploaded the originals for you at the links below.
If nothing else, they're better quality than what YouTube ends up compressing them to.
Again, they were just simple and quick 30 sec vids.

http://www.minimoog.net/bcsmoog1.AVI
http://www.minimoog.net/bcsmoog2.AVI

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Tue May 01, 2007 8:47 pm

Kevin Lightner wrote:I doubt they can obtain records of where you went and even then it could be argued that it's your ISP violating such a law by providing unfiltered access for its subscribers.
Actually I wish they would. I've asked both YouTube and my ISP to provide information to the license people to prove people like me aren't accessing any of this stuff they've chosen to start putting on the net.

That's far better than having these people making unsupported allegations and demanding to enter my house and search my computer (they already issue frequent requests to search my house, which they phrase as if they have the right to demand).

Many thanks for the the alternative links.

Hopefully someone will establish an alternative site to YouTube to avoid this problem in future. (Though it's part of a much wider move to get British TV stuff onto the Internet, so the problem keeps growing.)