Modern Moog Modular?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
MKS-30

Modern Moog Modular?

Post by MKS-30 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:45 am

I've been thinking. Why doesn't Moog release a new version of the classic Moog Modular? When you consider the fact that Moog modulars are very rare these days, but also very desirable, it seems that would be a very wise thing for Moog to do.

Now, I know that the Moogerfoogers can be used together to form a modular of sorts (even more so with the new 'fooger coming out soon) but what I would like Moog to do would be to make dedicated modules for a modular system, maybe to try and lower the prices of the Moogerfoogers by removing the wooded ends, and maybe selling LFOs etc. separately and not together in the separate modules so that you can really customise your modular. Hell, they could even sell racks for mounting in (similar to the ones of old). I mean, they've brought back the MiniMoog in the voyager, why not the Moog modulars? Of course it wouldn't be exactly the same (that's no fun) so, like the voyager, new technology could be added.

Come on, I can't be the only one wanted a Moog modular! 8)

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:22 pm

I think the short answer is that it would cost a lot to do and support and the market is already saturated with modulars.

A Minimoog D cost $2000 back in the 70's.
A Moog 55 about 5 times that.
So if a Voyager is roughly $3000 today, 5 times that would be $15,000.
I'm sure Moog would make some sales, but it would entail a huge outlay of money to start up.

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:37 pm

if you desire the modern day modular equivalent for touch and look (not exactly sound) and a fraction of the price check out Roger Arrick's business:

http://synthesizers.com/

A handful of us on the forums here have Dotcom systems and are fairly satisfied with them. The quality and customer service are top notch in the industry, i promise.

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:10 pm

electrical_engineer_gEEk wrote:if you desire the modern day modular equivalent for touch and look (not exactly sound) and a fraction of the price check out Roger Arrick's business:

http://synthesizers.com/

A handful of us on the forums here have Dotcom systems and are fairly satisfied with them. The quality and customer service are top notch in the industry, i promise.
I second that. I'm very happy with the dot.com modules I've bought.

THM

Post by THM » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:16 am

I third that. :wink:
I have a big DotCom modular system, with some modules from other manufacturers added too (MOTM, STG, Yusynth), and I'm very satisfied with it. The DotCom systems are imho very solidly built, very stable, and have a great sound, rather MOOG-oriented.
http://www.myspace.com/thmsynthfreak

martin

Post by martin » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:28 am

a new moog modular would be awesome.

it would also be fun if they would make re-issues of the old simple instruments, such as the prodigy, or the micromoog or stuff, just a bit better built.

no operating system, no lights, leprechauns or lagniappe, just a simple synthesizer with the basics, knobs and switches, no memory, no silly stuff. just a stable simple synth that has good quality knobs that don't fall off, nice wooden sides, good sound, switch it on and go... that's where a new modular could come in handy.

just pick some basic modules according to needs & budget, encase it in wood, and off you go. boy, that would be fun!

dotcom is probably great, but moog is moog.

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:59 pm

martin wrote: it would also be fun if they would make re-issues of the old simple instruments, such as the prodigy, or the micromoog or stuff, just a bit better built.

no operating system, no lights, leprechauns or lagniappe, just a simple synthesizer with the basics, knobs and switches, no memory, no silly stuff. just a stable simple synth that has good quality knobs that don't fall off, nice wooden sides, good sound, switch it on and go... that's where a new modular could come in handy.
Not to complain, cause it looks like Moog already gets it's fair share of complaints. But this is sort of what I was hoping for in the Little Phatty: a kind of paired down 2osc synth sort of like the Micro or Korg MS20 with alot of modular access (ala Moogerfoogers) and sans LCD screen, presets, etc.

maybe this could be a future product: the MoogerFooger Mono.

I love my Mini, but honestly, it's a little big and heavy for heavy live rotation. From time to time I think about getting a Rogue or Prodigy... but they're just a little too cheapy and in the case of the Rogue, overly simplified. Obviously, a manufacturer like Moog can't make the perfect synth for every player. But, I thought it might be a natural progression, at some point, for them to introduce a Mooger kybrd

martin

Post by martin » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:53 pm

true, the rogue looks/sounds a little cheapy. but the prodigy looks clean and sounds quite good (should i say a raspy phatness?).

the monofooger idea sounds great. a little self contained synth box with modular expandability. yeah baby!

:D

THM

Post by THM » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:51 am

And did anybody mention www.moogce.com yet !?

THM

Post by THM » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:53 am

For a direct link: http://www.moogce.com/prod04.htm - the modules are newly built but based on the authentic R.A. MOOG modules.

martin

Post by martin » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:38 am

Cool module$. sure it should be possible for moog to make moog modules for discerning synthesizer folks if those guys can make clones for that kind of money? or is 'clones' not the right word? are they using genuine components? the prices are mind-blowing! whoosh!

:wink:

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:01 pm

i still have yet to meet anyone who has bought from MOOGCE.
Anybody here?

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:41 pm

I've never bought anything from MoogCE, but I know people that have and have seen his work firsthand.
It's good quality and he uses original parts.

They do exist: I spoke to Mike Bucki just last week. I know he's still alive. :)

THM

Post by THM » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:42 am

I haven't bought anything from MOOG CE neither, but I also know a few guys who have and they're all very glad with the solid build quality ánd the great MOOG-genuine sound.

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:23 am

I think it's also worth mentioning, for anyone who doesn't know-- MoogCE is Moog Custom Engineering, more/less the remnants of the original Moog Music. Mike Bucki apparently bought the storehouse of remaining Moog parts and merchandice and continues to offer the Modular line.

This is how I understand it.

Also, the prices on the website are outdated. The prices now are nearly twise as much, I believe. Something like that. I asked for and recieved an updated price list about 9 months ago.

I was considering buying a couple modules-- but I believe they follow the original Moog power requirements and wouldn't easily fit into my dot.com-style set-up.