Does anybody think this is wrong?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
theglyph

Post by theglyph » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:59 pm

I've always wondered how close the Welsh Mini's were to the real thing. Has anyone ever had a peak inside one of those or heard one in person?

cheveux.boucles

Post by cheveux.boucles » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:15 pm

If only a handful were ever made, don't you think they might become a "collector's item". Even though they're not a real mini, they're still unique...
Moog LP TE

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:39 pm

I suppose it would depend upon the collector.
There *are* people that collect prototypes, knock-offs, defects, etc.

I believe that good things done in small numbers makes something collectible.
Bad things done (in any number) usually doesn't.

The fact that this seller got more than what the unit cost originally, suggests the buyer believed it was an original.

MC

Post by MC » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:39 am

I don't think any Welsh Minimoog ever made it into the states for various reasons. SOS wrote a very favorable review on it. I have an issue of Future Music with a review but I don't trust FM.

There was a similar discussion on whether Donimoogs were valuable collectors' items. The general consensus is they are not. Peter Forrest runs the VEMIA auction where many collectors' items trade hands - a Donimoog modular was passed off as the genuine item and the buyer was very upset.

Marzzz

Post by Marzzz » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:31 am

MC wrote:The IEC AC connector on the rear panel is the dead giveaway. Real Minimoogs never had those.
That was the only thing that looked "off" to me- damn, you guys are good!

Funny thing, the power cord connection was the only problem I ever had with my Mini ('75-82).

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:23 am

ive actually seen Moog Silkscreen/iron on shirt decals in custom tshirt shops. so its not just this guy on ebay there are a whole bunch of people that make knock off moog shirts. i dont think its illegal, its kinda like the guy that sells "concert" shirts out side of concerts.