Stage pianos? HELP!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Jauntimus Prime

Stage pianos? HELP!

Post by Jauntimus Prime » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:31 am

Not synth-related per se, but between all you keyboardists here maybe I'll luck out. Now, I don't have a whole lot of money to spend -- actually, very little -- but I'd like to hear suggestions on a digital stage instrument to use for piano/Rhodes/Hammond sounds in a live setting.

The unfortunate truth is that there's a derelict Rhodes sitting in my basement, and a an M3 in my bassist's, but even if they were functional that'd be pretty unwieldly to lug to a bar downtown. But I'd love to be able to at least evoke both of those staple sounds. On the cheap, if possible... ? Would it be more effective to get a self-contained thing like a Roland VK or some kind of MIDI/module setup? Any late, possibly gently-used keyboards come to mind?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
"There's a reason digital audio has earned its reputation for sterility, lifelessness, and harshness. Mainly, it's because it tends to be sterile, lifeless, and harsh." [url=http://www.myspace.com/froghollowdaycamp]Frog Hollow Day Camp[/url]

dr_floyd

Post by dr_floyd » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:05 pm

Small, lightweight, recommended by many:

Nord Electro or stage.

http://www.clavia.se/main.asp

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:17 pm

I second the Electro. There is also a rack version.

The Rhodes sounds are very good, not nearly as expressive as the real thing, but the Electro is a keyboardist's best friend when it comes to transporting. Its shortcomings in authenticity are more than made up for in its light weight, portability and versatility.

Jauntimus Prime

Post by Jauntimus Prime » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:21 am

Hey, thanks for the suggestion, guys! And the link, dr. floyd.

I'd seen those around, but I took a closer look and the seem pretty sick. I'll have to find some way of playing one... (GIMME A CREDIT CARD, MUSICIAN'S FRIEND!)

...what do you guys think about the Roland RD series? Anybody played 'em? They all seem to get warm reviews, and they can usually be had pretty cheaply. BIG plus for me. Thoughts?
"There's a reason digital audio has earned its reputation for sterility, lifelessness, and harshness. Mainly, it's because it tends to be sterile, lifeless, and harsh." [url=http://www.myspace.com/froghollowdaycamp]Frog Hollow Day Camp[/url]

museslave

Post by museslave » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:58 am

I am an analog/retro enthusiast and I have actually toted Rhodes and the like to gigs... it is so unfun I can't believe it. (until you're playing, at which point it is temporarily worth it).
In an effort to retain an authentic sound and authentic feel, while not having to lug massive amounts of expensive equipment I have been on many quests to find suitable alternatives.
Look for a Hohner Pianet! They're not entirely uncommon on eBay. While they are heavy, they are smaller than a lot of modern synths. They have a wonderful feel and an even more wonderful sound. I use mine in every live situation I play. I run it through a cheap tube channel to get some distortion and EQ out some of the bass to get a more electric-piano-midrangey sound. (Pianets can be quite warm and bassy, but they need a little boost to become punchy) Best of all, they're a full-on true electric piano!
As for organ, there are a lot of inexpensive combo organs out there that when used with leslie-simulating pedals could at least approximate a Hammond sound!
Still, not quite as convenient as one digital keyboard that does it all... but there are performance and aesthetic benefits to some of the original stuff! : )
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

Jauntimus Prime

Post by Jauntimus Prime » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:00 am

Still, not quite as convenient as one digital keyboard that does it all... but there are performance and aesthetic benefits to some of the original stuff! : )
I couldn't agree more, museslave! I guess that's why we play Moogs. :wink:

And it's also true that one could score a Pianet T and a combo organ (by that, are you referring to a Vox/Farfisa thing? What do you like?) for the same or less than an Electro. However, cost is only one of my problems. My other is not just portability, but space. I already take up quite a bit of space, with a 3-tier rack of synths and a full percussion outfit with congas and Roto-toms and cymbals and such. Fitting another keyboard's worth of floor space between all that, a drum kit, a guitar rig and two bass rigs -- that's right, two -- might prove problematic.

Maybe if we could play somewhere that had more than a power-trio sized stage... :lol:

Even still, I would vastly prefer, sonically and aesthetically, the real deal over something digital. I've just gotta weigh the pros and cons of each, I guess.

Neekau

Post by Neekau » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:48 am

In my opinion, the MOTIF RACK ES or MO6 (lighter than MOTIF ES) sounds better than nord electro, and have really wider capabilities in working on sounds...
"There's something wrong about this world in which Clouds sells 5x more than Tides." O.Gillet

museslave

Post by museslave » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Jauntimus Prime wrote:I couldn't agree more, museslave! I guess that's why we play Moogs. :wink:
Yey Moogs! : )
Jauntimus Prime wrote:And it's also true that one could score a Pianet T and a combo organ (by that, are you referring to a Vox/Farfisa thing? What do you like?)
I don't know what it is about combo organs... but I just frickin' love 'em. I suppose it has something to do with the fact that they are some of the few keyboards where appearance played such an important role. Maybe it's the genres in which they were popular. I really don't know. I would think I would be bored with how straight forward they are in regard to functionality, but I'm not!
Anyway! I haven't played a lot of them. I personally own a Wurlitzer 7300. I am in LOVE with it, even though it is currently having some problems. Some genius decided it would be a good idea to glue the tuning pots in place (hey, it'll never be out of tune, right? ha ha), which is quite depressing as those pots exist in these little cardboard tubes. It's just out of tune enough to be a problem for recording. Ugh.
Jauntimus Prime wrote:However, cost is only one of my problems. My other is not just portability, but space. I already take up quite a bit of space, with a 3-tier rack of synths and a full percussion outfit with congas and Roto-toms and cymbals and such. Fitting another keyboard's worth of floor space between all that, a drum kit, a guitar rig and two bass rigs -- that's right, two -- might prove problematic.
Wow, yes... that is definitely a problem! Man, I would not want to be you during setup!
If you're playing that much equipment, I don't blame you for seeking a catch-all solution at all.

Jauntimus Prime wrote:Even still, I would vastly prefer, sonically and aesthetically, the real deal over something digital. I've just gotta weigh the pros and cons of each, I guess.
Fair enough! : )
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

glimmertwins

Post by glimmertwins » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:41 am

...if your going for the best quality pianos. rhodes, wurlis - the Gem Promega wins hands down. Only drawback is there are only a couple of organ sounds on it that - while decent - won't satisfy a real organ player who needs to tweak those pull bars.

...I ended up buying the Electro too which I use exclusively for organ, but it can't compare to the other sounds although I do occasionally use it for practice when I just don't feel like lugging around the GEM. The wurlis are decent on it, but the rhodes aren't too much to write home about compared the promega. I say if you got access to the real things at home, get an electro for gigging and use the real thing for recording. If you don;t have the real thing, you should get the Promega as it really is a much more interactive instrument with the pianos...