Maybe what they really should make next?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
toryjames

Re: Maybe what they really should make next?

Post by toryjames » Tue May 27, 2008 9:16 pm

johnll wrote: Well... Moog should just reissue the Model D Minimoog.

To heck w/ polyphony. To heck with MIDI. Only change to the original I'd suggest is to add the some of the functionality of the CP-251 in there, particularly the lag and attenuator (though an extra LFO and S/H wouldn't hurt), and the 102 to boot, since ring mod is such an important part of analog synthesis...
cheers,
john
The Voyager OS. That was the point, right? To offer a product that satisfies this request? Even if it was a Minimoog twin built from the same components, it would sound different to those that are 30-40 years old. The Voyager Old School, I have no complaints. I am so glad they made the O.S. edition, and still a bit beside myself.

Henfield

Post by Henfield » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:02 am

I think that it would be nice for Moog to offer some controllers that allows us to "play" the Moogerfooger pedals. We can use the MF-107, Carrier Oscillator from the MF-102, and the MF-101 (at full resonance) as sound sources, but we only have the Voyager Series synths that have CV outs to control them.

It would be nice for them to offer some "legacy" products that fit in with their past history that allow us to control a Moogerfooger Modular synthesizer.

The first product would be an updated Micromoog synthesizer. A basic synth that is all all analog with minimal amount of components (no MIDI or patch memory) so that it can be played on its own or interfaced with the Moogerfoogers by having a complement of CV and trig in/outs, as well as an external input(s) to add noise from the CP-251 and/or the output of the MF-107. It would also be nice if you could bypass the internal filter and use the MF-105 or MF-103 as the filter.

The second product would be a footpedal controller similar to the Taurus II Controller. It would have a CV and gate out, as well as one or two EP-2 footpedal controllers on top of the unit that can be used for any of the CV ins on the various moogers.

The third product would be a ribbon controller to control pitch of the various sound sources.

The fourth product would be a Theremin with cv outs to control the foogers.

The fifth product would be a simple 8/16 step sequencer with cv/outs.

Sorry for the longwindedness, but I just ordered a MF-107 to complement my MF-101, 102, and MF-105B, and I would like to have a modern (hopefully with the Moog name) controller (or controllers) for this setup so that I am not relying on vintage equipment all of the time.
MF 102,White MF 103, MF 105B, Minitaur, and an LP Stage II w/ CV Out Mod as well!

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:10 pm

Hmm.. some good points, Henfield. :)

What if they made a controller keyboard, but with a built-in ribbon or touch pad, small sequencer, pedal inputs and Theremin antennas? (antennae?)
That would cover a lot of ground and they could make just one product.
Maybe 4 and 5 octave versions for cost and size considerations?

Henfield

Post by Henfield » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:43 pm

Kevin,

I like your idea as well, it takes several of the product ideas that I have listed and puts them into one!
MF 102,White MF 103, MF 105B, Minitaur, and an LP Stage II w/ CV Out Mod as well!

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:10 am

I have to admit these are mostly ideas for the Moogerfooger line, sorry in advance.

I would like to see a "hand pedal". Maybe something like a boat throttle mixed with some technology, see also the CP-201. People seem to be interested in a joystick type of controller or even ribbon controller too. Some people aren't using their feet and would rather use their hands with something other than the foot pedal.

Also, we (more so "I") need Vocoder! You could have it be 2 different Moogers or one CP-style rack even. One section for all of the bandpass filters that would have outputs for each band (imagine sending different parts of the signal to any effect or through a voyager!). The other to process it.

I would also love to see a Poly oscillator with multiple VCO's (3 maybe?) that could play in sync or independently. This would allow thick sounds like the minimoog and voyager, as well as chords and more advanced programing than a monosynth. I know, I can buy 3 freqboxes but I would buy this too.

Patch memory box for looping and remembering CV signals would be cool too. There could be a trigger input to start the loop and a switch to record for each input. This would allow you to create your own envelopes, sweeps etc. Outputs could also have a second reversed version too.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:06 am

I've got a Paia Vocoder in the mail. I'll let you know how it goes.

You'd think Moog might have a bit too much on their plate for new products?? Keep the ideas flowing though!

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:14 am

A cheap compact Moog vocoder, à la VC-10, would be fun
Not as fun as a 6495$ guitar, but still...
https//www.facebook.com/khoral80

"Children are the future... that's why they must be stopped" - H. J. Simpson

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:48 am

+ 1 for the vocoder. as some one who has a horrible singing voice using robotic daft punk vocals is my only option lol. ive been thinking about the Paia one. if its possible could when ever you get a chance could you make a quick demo of some of the sounds, latigid on. :D

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:53 am

I'd be curious to hear about that Paia vocoder too
The samples on their site didn't tell much
https//www.facebook.com/khoral80

"Children are the future... that's why they must be stopped" - H. J. Simpson

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:03 am

I have 2 suggestions that I really think that should be viable entries on the next drawing boards.

1. Touchpad Controller.....This would allow the Old School Voyager owners, RME, LP owners and anyone else wanting to control their Fooger Synth a chance at having that Nice Voyager Touchpad. I think that it should have X Y and A cv outs, perhaps a gate and 3 Attenuators for the XYA.
This would be a wonderful accessory for the RME and OS owners to utilize the full extent of the VX351, although they really wouldn't need it unless they just wanted to semi-permanantly patch it.
The advantage is that Dr. Moog already made a prototype. Could it be the lost MF-106?

2. I really am in favor of another CP style Fooger....Lets say an Envelope Generator (or two for complex synthesis) VCA, Dual Trigger Delay, Envelope Follower.
I think that for those who are RME Owners who have the MoogerFOoger Rackmount to host their Cp251, Vx351 and 2, there is a gaping hole in their rack that needs a 4th CP style Fooger. Not to mention that lots of folks have been begging for an Envelope oriented unit to complete the Fooger SYnth.

Im also in favor of the step sequencer.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:43 am

I would love to see a polyphony expansion module for the LP/Voyager. Failing that, a brand new synth to rival the Prophet 08 would be nice. I know polyphony is not a big deal for most Moog fans, and i can understand that, but seeing as they are taking the company in new directions i would certainly like to hear what they could come up with.

Also +1 on the step sequencer :)

patobrujo

Post by patobrujo » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:58 pm

Thumbs up for the step sequencer too, but what i really want is a vx-351/352 type of thing for the little phatty, we only have 4 cv inputs on the LP and no cv outputs so that's my bet...
..::PATOBRUJO::..

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:24 pm

Sure, I'll put up some samples somewhere. A few years ago I missed out on a VC-10 for $800NZ I think. Last year I bought a Korg Delta, with the intention of using is as the sound source for a vocoder. I was looking at the Electrix Warp Factory, which was apparently going to be re-released. Now I see the website has been taken down, so I don't suppose that's going to happen any time soon.

The Paia Vocoder appears to be the only other analog (of which the Warp Factory is digital)/ hardware unit out there. This is discounting 3000-23000 Euro EMS models... I'll see how it goes, but I might end up mounting the Paia Vocoder inside the Delta. The string section has plenty of harmonics, so I hope I might get something like the VC-10.

It'll probably take a little longer, but I also have the parts coming for the uCApps.de / MIDIbox Sequencer. You can buy an extra kit which gives you eight analog outputs, so it's kind-of like a 960 x2 2/3 with patch memory, arpeggator, loop points etc..

So hopefully I won't need Moog to release a vocoder or a sequencer.

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:26 pm

If the Paia vocoders are still kits, they're a handful of work to assemble, but do work fairly well.
I recommend doing the Clarifier mod to yours too. (see below)
Just don't expect Sennheiser performance from one.
They can be a bit noisy.

http://www.paia.com/ProdArticles/vocodmod.htm

strata189

Post by strata189 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:07 pm

Doepfer has a vocoder - actually a number of units that form a vocoder - might fit into one of their lunch box carrying cases/power supply dealies.

Randall
http://www.myspace.com/randallprentice