wait and listen.....NAMM

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:18 pm

Its the first tab down in the moogerfooger menu
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:59 pm

This is really intrigueing, isn't it?

It doesn't sound like a Pitch to Voltage synth to me though. It sounds like a multi-tracked recording with a Bass guitar slapping, and a electric guitar lead line. Neither guitar sounds to me like it has an oscillator following or doubling it. It sounds like sort of random (but maybe at least in the same key) synth tones firing off and blurbling (in the right timing) in the background.

I'm guessing it's a kind of synth/sequencer that will respond to the key and tempo of the guitar signal that is input---So that you can play a guitar/bass line and the sequence you have pre-programmed(hopefully with knobs or sliders) will sync up to your playing tempo and root key.

I'm hearing frequency modulated and possibly osc synced synth tones/oscillators, so perhaps there are 2 VCOs on board as well as the sequencer

I would guess that you can externalize these oscillators and feed them into your MF101.

This is my guess.

When is NAMM anyway? When do we find out?

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:19 pm

eric coleridge wrote:When is NAMM anyway? When do we find out?
NAMM is January 18-21. The 18th is next Thursday, so we've only got to wait another week to find out. :-)

- G

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:21 am

i love it how they tease us like this!

i think i'm happy enough with my LP to not go completely insane right now and sell everything i own (except my moog gear) in anticipation.

but who knows, that could change on thurs

exciting stuff, i didn't think they'd release something so soon after the LP
maybe this is the "as yet unreleased goodie" that we got wind of a while ago

can't wait!

edit: just read the interview with Amos, anyone else read it? has some cool comments about the new product that almost but not quite lead you to believe that it will be a guitar synth. really looking forward to it after the answer to the last question!!
Last edited by godzilla on Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pastoral

Post by Pastoral » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:36 am

Sounds like it could be something as simple as a Moogerfooger Flanger, but I don't think there would be this much secrecy over something that simple. The problem with the audio sample is that we don't know just what part of it is being affected by the new device.
Moog Mother 32 System | MF104m | MF105m | MF107 | MF108m | CP251 | Moog Etherwave Theremin | Moog Amplifier

dr_floyd

Post by dr_floyd » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:03 pm

I think I figured it out:

MoogerFooger Frequency Shifter - like the old Bode/Moog Freq Shifter but in a MoogerFooger footprint. That would explain why there are no oscillators or pitch following (which will probably never be improved), but still osc. sync-type sounds. I hope that's it, could be very useful and unique.

Now Moog, how about a single power supply to power all the Moogers, CP, VX at the same time with no whine?

museslave

Post by museslave » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:32 pm

I realize why modern technology makes me sad, and why it really doesn't matter what Moog comes out with...
We're all listening to that sound... and while it is interesting, it's not something that couldn't be done with something else... or any number of other things.
Times was that when a new synthesizer came out, it was amazing because it did things that no other synthesizer did, or it had its own sound that could not be duplicated (yet) by other synthesizers.
Digital technology and powerful software has essentially made it so that when you hear a sound, it is not amazing, it's merely a sound made by a digital synthesizer. You may like the sound, may desire it, and seek to recreate it... but there is no longer any amazement at what could have made it, or how it was made.
So, then you're left with: Why buy something that makes sounds that can be made by something else?
My answer to that is that I desire hardware things that make sounds in a hardware way... and that is why Moog is valuable to me. Othewise, I could buy any number of types of software or powerful digital synthesizers and make all of the sounds I could imagine, could hear, etc.
I still say anything synthesis-related that is made for guitarists is a very big gamble.
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:03 pm

I don't particularly like that MURF pedal, but it seems to be really popular.
In this sence, Moog has been very successful in re-packagaing and re-reconfiguring modular synth technologies for guitarists and a new generation of electronics players.

It seems to me, that alot of electronic "players" must like effects/instruments that almost make the music for them. Like alot of the "groove" type drum machines and so on, and to a certain extent, the MURF.

I'm guessing that Moog, after the popularity of their MURF, has decided to take the next step in this direction.

There aren't any Moog products that can sequence rhythms like the one we hear in this recording. So, it would seem that this new product must be providing the sequencing here.

Plus, Amos already suggested that it is a guitar synth.

So, it seems pretty interesting, I just hope the patterns aren't pre-programmed as they are on the MURF.

dr_floyd

Post by dr_floyd » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:29 pm

Eric
Amos only said that guitar players ask how to make their guitars sound more like synthesizers. As soon as you add a pitch to voltage conversion step, the unique and direct human aspects of playing a guitar are removed, or at least severly quantized, and Moog is about enhancing human interface, not obscuring it.

A frequency shifter reads many aspects of the actual input tone. I think that's why in the example clip there is lots of irregular harmonic motion, because it's not being controlled by a pedal or translated from a pitch, its a frequency shifter tracking the moment to moment changes in a decaying guitar string vibration.

There are too many variables to consider in making a pitch follower, and even Fairlight didn't succeed with their state-of-the-art Voicetracker, which included a synthesizer (ok it was a horrible dco synth) and a stunning array of cv i/o in a Mooger sized package.

Moog wouldn't make a product dedicated only to guitarists anyway, that's not their core market. A frequency shifter can be used in an interesting way and equally well on any audio source, and it makes a guitar sound like a synthesizer as well.

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:31 pm

i don't know
i still think there is an unlimited amount of crazy sounds out there, and that you can make them with lots of different things, it's just way more fun doing it on moog gear as it's designed specifically for sonic exploration rather than recreation

i'm not a guitarist and i love the idea of the foogers, modules that can be used on their own with any audio gear and can be controlled to a level that most modulars won't allow (CV over resonance for example) but yeah the line does need some serious crazy new additions, well.... i mean it's a pretty darn cool line up already but to rival a modular. hopefully this new fooger will be such a thing.

i was reading this statement again:

Last question: Is there anything you can tell us about Moog’s next product?

I can say it will defy expectations. It will be the most daring and boundary-defying Moog product to date!

i think it's a bit of a bold claim, when you think of the fact that moog invented the synthesizer! i mean that's pretty much as boundary-defying a moog product can get, isn't it? hope it lives up to this claim!

yeah, you know what would be cool?
a superMuRF that has another row of sliders to control each of the bandpass filters' freq! then you could create any seq imaginable from the pre-programmed patterns

dr_floyd

Post by dr_floyd » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: sequencing -
If you listen carefully to the clip you can tell it's performed live and the tempos are not sequenced. I think it's just a multi-tracked guitar playing all the parts separately with different settings on the new pedal.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:57 pm

I don't suppose there is a loop function . . .
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:47 pm

dr_floyd wrote:Re: sequencing -
If you listen carefully to the clip you can tell it's performed live and the tempos are not sequenced. I think it's just a multi-tracked guitar playing all the parts separately with different settings on the new pedal.
Yeah, that would make sense too.

Personnally, I'd love and much rather see a Frequency Shifter Moogerfooger. I've never been willing to spend the money on this extremely expensive effect, so I don't know exactly what it even sounds like... but I know I want one. ha ha

But, those synth stabs at the begininng of the track do sound sequenced to me, and the track overall suggests (to me anyway) the kind of rhythmic accompaniment that a guitar-groove-box would provide.

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:51 pm

The Encore Electronics Frequence Shifter is like $389. Just put a pre amp in infront of it and go...

http://www.encoreelectronics.com/cont_fs1.html
http://www.myspace.com/sirdsssound
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Scott_Stone

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:57 pm

eric coleridge wrote: I've never been willing to spend the money on this extremely expensive effect, so I don't know exactly what it even sounds like... but I know I want one. ha ha
There used to be a really cool sample of Wendy Carlos (I think) talking run through a Bode Frequency Shifter floating around on the internet. I can't seem to find it anymore though, but its well worth searching for.

Trust me, it sounds awesome. :wink:

Very pricey because a fully analog FS requires a lot of precisely tuned circuitry to implement properly. The Encore uses a microprocessor to generate the quadrature modulating waveforms and this dramatically simplifies the circuit. I don't think the new mf will be a frequency shifter (though I'd love for it to be). Its an damn neat effect, but hardly "daring" or "boundry-defying".

No, I think we have something much more interesting in store for us!