rotary pots

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
synspeak

rotary pots

Post by synspeak » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:36 pm

i am restoring a micromoog. i has board mounted potentiometers with plastic half shafts. they have "feet" that go into the board. i need a 5k and a 50k audio taper. anybody ever find a source for them ?
mr. synspeak

minime123

Post by minime123 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:48 pm

im interested in finding sources for moog parts too, so anyone with more info please email me directly.
thanks
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER who's never stepped foot in the state of Michigan.

Mooger5

Post by Mooger5 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:21 pm

From the YouTube movies seems that Moog Music still use them both on the Voyager and the Theremin. They´re snap-in PCB mounted 24mm potentiometers. Is this correct? I used these keywords, with no luck. The Rogue I´m restoring uses the same type. They´re fine, except for some goo left. Replacing them with new ones would save me a lot of work.

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:21 pm

Seems like you could just get something similar from mouser.com or digikey.com. They wouldn't be the same as the original, but they would certainly work.

synspeak

parts are parts

Post by synspeak » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:25 am

yeah parts are parts. you just have to be a little creative. without those 70's style board mount pots with a plastic 1/2 shaft i'll solder down some regular pannel mount ones and double stick tape them down to the board. if i can't find half shafts i'll take em to the bench grinder. i like old Moogs and ARPs. i did major repair on my ARP without even a schematic. now it is nice to collect those factory repair manuals on CD ROM.
mr.synspeak

Mooger5

Post by Mooger5 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:01 pm

Metal split shaft pots are easy to find. You just have to pull off one half with a wrench. Turn the pot all the way to 0 or 10 and look at the knob to find wich half to break.

BTW, the wheel pots are from Alpha USA so may be the others. Pity their site isn´t as informative as say CTS Corp.

synspeak

analog parts

Post by synspeak » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:55 pm

yes i registered with alpha usa only to find they sell in 1000 lot bulk. nasty cause i see what would make nice moog pots. i live in upstate NY and getting a few parts local is almost impossible. the only walk in shops are radio shack and most stores have just about discontinued parts. there are lots of catalogs and on line but they all have a $25 minimum order. yes, me and my friends all have a 150lbs of junk and spare parts. you know how it is though. you either cant find it or have everything but what you need.
mr. synspeak