Human/robot barriers and a Hello

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
markwilkins

Human/robot barriers and a Hello

Post by markwilkins » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:35 am

First off, "Hello and nice to meet you all!"

I do also have kind of a two-part post/question. First is a legit question: Does everyone get the "are you a robot or a human" question every day that you access this forum? I log in to the forum and click the "remember me" check box and it works fine. But, literally, one day later (or less), I have to log in again and click a button to assure the overlords that I am indeed a living breathing person. What is with that? I am a programmer working for an institution that does a lot of financial stuff, and their logins are are similar; you can't stay logged in for an overly long time. And it is annoying, but ... well ... it kind of makes a bit more sense when the downside is major financial risk. I kind of don't think that is the case with this forum. At least I hope not. Hmmm :shock: But, really, my logins on the Nord and Sequential forums last for weeks. Seems like this could be similar.

The second comment/question is kind of related but a bit more esoteric. Where are all the people on this forum? Is the low traffic due to the somewhat draconian entrance barriers? I recently just acquired a new Model D and am so psyched. It is an amazingly incredible synth! Moog keyboards are, arguably, the most iconic and well-recognized synth brand in the word. I have, literally (yes - I used that word before in this post but it literally means literally again), desired to own a Moog synth my entire life. Well, maybe not literally my entire life; I did not know about Moog until I was 12 years old. But close enough when you are as old as I am. So sort of literally. And because I am now a Moog owner, I joined the forum, and ... it is kind of quiet. I rather expected a more vibrant community. Maybe everyone is making music rather than posting drivel like this on the forum, which would be the perfect answer. Or I wonder a little bit if some of the interest is stifled somewhat by the robot/human checkboxes? The Sequential Circuits forum I am on had a longer thread about the new Model D release than this forum.

Anyway. I am quite happy to be part of this community. All so amazing. The new Model D is wonderful. Wow-wow. I should have gotten into the Moog universe a long time ago.

Mark

synthpeter

Re: Human/robot barriers and a Hello

Post by synthpeter » Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:20 am

As for the login behavior of this forum; yes, I'm also automatically logged out after a couple of days. But I don't have to prove that I'm a robot when I login again. Maybe because I'm not deleting history every time that I close all my browser windows. I'm also on the Korg forum, and logins there last for weeks if not months.

I think a barrier to increased traffic is that your first 3 post seem to go through a human moderator before they show, which may then even be a day or two later. That delay may lead people to not return to the forum after just one or two posts. And may also deter a first-time visitor to post a solution to a question they see popping up here. But on the other hand, it filters spamming, so what you see here is really about synths and not 100s of ads.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:22 am

Facebook, Tiktok & other trendy social media platforms have decimated traditional ( and much better organized, IMO ) online forums.

And you can only access them by using their portal/software, which further fragments community participation. Of course, that is by design as they want everybody using them so they can farm your personal info.

As far as bots & AI, they are rampant & stuff like this is necessary unfortunately.

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:32 pm

Welcome and congrats on your new Moog! Sorry to read elsewhere that you are having issues with it.

I have been a member of this forum for almost 20 years! :shock: I have definitely had to log back in regularly for at least the past few years. Maybe due to the browser I use? Not sure, it's somewhat inconvenient but I put up with it obviously - I'm still here!

My impression is that most of the posts here are related to problems people have with their new Moog stuff, but it has be extremely rare that anyone from Moog responds, and even when they did, it was inconsistent. There is a long-running "post your music here" thread under general, but even participation there waxes and wanes.

markwilkins

Post by markwilkins » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:55 pm

Thank you for the welcome! And, yes, the spam bots and such are definitely a big problem. I guess if the existing barriers on this forum are reducing that stuff, then it is a win. One of the moderators on the Sequential forum said that he had to delete a fair number of spam posts every single day.

And, ummagumma, that is a good point about the other types of forums. I guess I am sufficiently aged to a curmudgeonly level to rather dislike all the social media things. I guess the closest thing I have to a social media account is LinkedIn. I definitely prefer these “text only” communication channels.

VCO

Post by VCO » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:39 am

I’m asked if I’m a human. It’s something new . I log in and out I don’t stay logged in. Sorry to hear about your problem with your Minimoog. Unfortunately there’s problems with synths. Hope you can track it down without it becoming to difficult for you. Welcome to the forum.

VCO

Post by VCO » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:42 am

Good thing about this forum is that there are people here that are knowledgeable with certain problems and can give valuable insight on how to go about resolving an issue

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:07 pm

Just an update - I thought maybe it was my old computer that was making me have to prove my humanity and log in again (2 separate things) but no - I got a new computer and it's the same thing.

markwilkins

Post by markwilkins » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:14 pm

hieronymous wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:07 pm Just an update - I thought maybe it was my old computer that was making me have to prove my humanity and log in again (2 separate things) but no - I got a new computer and it's the same thing.
I’m kind of wondering if it is based on the IP address of the source computer. I have accessed the forum from my work laptop a couple of times (don’t tell my employer please). When accessing the forum from my work laptop in the physical work location (one time anyway), I did not get the robot test. But a connection from the work laptop while on VPN did prompt me to prove that I was mostly made of biological components.

The main thing I was interested in was knowing if I had something messed up. Sounds like it is a common issue, which is fine with me. I don’t want to be the only one feeling the pain. It is a bit odd, though. Once logged in to the forum, a secure HTTPS cookie would be extremely reliable in “proving” the client/user.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:13 am

Well sometimes I wonder if I'm human. So it's good to check, once in a while!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:44 am

:lol:

Welcome to the forum, markwilkins !

Aborming1970

Post by Aborming1970 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:34 pm

As for your second question, it's possible that the low traffic on the forum is due to a variety of factors, including the niche topic of Moog synths, the entry barriers, and the general state of online forums. Forums have become less popular over time, as social media and other platforms have gained prominence. Additionally, some users may prefer to interact on other platforms, such as Reddit or Facebook groups, rather than dedicated forums. However, there are still active and engaged communities on forums, and I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying your experience so far.