Can someone breakdown what’s going on when I osc sync on my prodigy

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Moogsandboobs

Can someone breakdown what’s going on when I osc sync on my prodigy

Post by Moogsandboobs » Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:38 pm

Hey all, this may have been covered but I would really like to know what’s actually going on when I sync osc 2 to 1 on my prodigy and play with the pitch wheel. I’m getting my hands on a MiniMoog soon to add to my quiver. I don’t think it would have that capability? Correct?

That sound I get from the oscillator sync I gravitate to very often and if I can reproduce with the mini will plan on keeping the prodigy in full rotation.

Regards
Moogsandboobs

analogmonster

Re: Can someone breakdown what’s going on when I osc sync on my prodigy

Post by analogmonster » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:49 am

Yes, you are right. The sync happens deep in the saw core of one of the Prodigy oscillators, where the load capacitor is being reset by the waveform of the other oscillator (roughly described). To integrate other synths or enable this feature IN other synths you must have access to that reset functionality of the saw core. AFAIK no Moog synth beside the Prodigy offers this kind of sync functionality, and no Moog synthesizer at all offers a kind of interface to the outer world for that purpose. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The sync sound of the Prodigy is marvellous. The best sync sound I ever heard from any synthesizer brands. And - of course I copied this functionality when I cloned the Minimoog oscillators for my Moog System 55 clone, so I added the Prodigy Sync function to Minimoog Oscillators in my Clone World :mrgreen: - and I added the necessary core interface to the outer world to my clone.

I created a short Youtube video where I show the sync effect and what it does to the output waveforms. Perhaps this explains a bit more what happens under the skirt.

On my site there is a schema explanation as well.

Minimoog Oscillator Clone with Prodigy Sync
Moog System 55 Clone
Technical sync demonstration
Melodic sync demonstration by playing a sequence

sdwillingham

Post by sdwillingham » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:05 am

The MultiMoog also has oscillator sync, and can modulate Osc2 pitch from keyboard after-pressure. Unfortunately, there are probably fewer Multis in the world than most other Moog models.

Oh yes… the modern Grandmother and Matriarch also have sync.

VCO

Post by VCO » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:04 am

The Minimoog voyager has sync as well.