funky lead sounds

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
cody fisher

funky lead sounds

Post by cody fisher » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:01 pm

Is anyone out there willing to share their created sounds? I am particularly interested in funky lead type sounds such as you might hear Bernie Worrell or Roger Troutman (Zapp and roger) and Rick James use. I particularly like those with good vibrato type modulation.

FIGS

funky leads

Post by FIGS » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:51 pm

Being a big fan of Roger Troutman (Blow That Thing is still my fav!), I think you might try using an envelope generator to modulate the filter cutoff and slow the attack down to get a swooping sound on each key strike. Adjust to taste.

Also, try using an LFO on the pitch control with a delay time in front of it so the vibrato doesn't happen unless you hold a note longer than the delay time.

What board(s) are you using?

FIGS

cody fisher

Post by cody fisher » Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:56 pm

Hi FIGS,
Great to hear from a fellow funk enthusiast, Roger Troutman is definitely my biggest inspiration. I am tottally dedicated to mastering the talkbox, and that being the case I knew the only way to get the flavor he invented was to create custom sounds, that is why I have invested in the Minimoog Voyager. I admit I know very little about sound creation and your explination may be a little beyond my understanding at this point, however I am learning a little everyday I mess around on it, and enjoy the sound the machine is capable of. I greatly appreciate any bones you can throw my way, and am eager to experiment with the pointers you described to me in your reply. I currently own a Yamaha Motif and a Korg trinity. I write and record my original tunes in my home studio, I play the drums and bass guitar along with the keyboard. Do you have any recordings you would like to share? I would be more than happy to listen to them and would also enjoy sharing my tunes with those interested. Thnak you for the reply and I hope to hear more from you.

Best Regards,
Cody Fisher

Greg_S

Post by Greg_S » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:53 am

i made a thread waybackwhen called "*official moog prodigy patches*" where i posted mine and a template for people to post their own, so check that out. also people don't be afraid to share!

Mac Money

Post by Mac Money » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:32 pm

Hello everyone
This is my first post,
I too am looking for Mini Moog patches
Zapp
Parliament Funkadelic
George Duke
Herbbie Handcock

TIA George Ware

EricK

SOund CHarts

Post by EricK » Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:17 pm

Cody,
Im using an old Micromoog synth. I still have the operators manual and in it it has a blank sound chart. I don't know if the Voyager comes with anything like that but just get a piece of paper and draw the controls like they are on the board. Set everything to zero and then start tweaking the knobs. One thing about my Micromoog is that it takes a long time to set up. HAving no presets, using sound charts is the only way that I can remember where things were set on a particular song. So when you get a sound that you like write down all the settings on your sound chart and then tweak them one at a time figure out what kind of bass sound (or whatever) you like then tweak the filter, the attack and decay rate and just have fun but keep a notebook handy. My first experiences on the board were "ooh what a great sound" then I tweak the knobs "Ooh what a great sound, now how do I get back to where I was?" So keep a notebook until you get familiar with what everything does. Id like to hear some of your stuff too man. I have a little mini studio in my room. I play bass, guitar, percussion, trumpet, sax, Vocals, and I have Fender Rhodes suitacase Piano with my Micromoog on top if it. Email me [email protected]
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

THM

Post by THM » Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:35 pm

If somebody wants to offer (or trade) some Memorymoog patches, I'd always be interested...

[email protected]
http://www.myspace.com/thmsynthfreak