Where's the best place to sell a MOOG?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Kayk

Where's the best place to sell a MOOG?

Post by Kayk » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:05 pm

My dad never got rid of anything. We have one from the 1970s. I know it's worth a lot of money but not sure where the best place to sell it is. We are in Southern California.

Thanks K

VCO

Re: Where's the best place to sell a MOOG?

Post by VCO » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:53 pm

What model moog is it? Do you know the exact year of it?

VCO

Post by VCO » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:28 pm

Condition will determine the asking price, also knowing what year it is also determines the asking price. There are different models of synthesizers moog made. For instance the micro moog, the minimoogmodelD, the multimoog, the polymoog,. You need to find out exactly what you have in regards to those questions. Reverb..com and EBay are sites
That sell musical instruments. The information you provided is to vague. Saying it’s from the 70s is not enough information. You could have a Minimoog modelD from 1973 but wouldn’t be worth a lot if it doesn’t work or has problems.
Or you could have a Minimoog modelD that was mint that could be worth something. Two opposites of the spectrum.
Again there were different model synths made in the 70s. For instance moog has reissued a Minimoog in 2025 for $5000,
Moog also reissued a Minimoog in 2016 for $3500 dollars. The reason moog reissued these was because of the inflated prices for orginal model D minimoogs. Moog figured that people would rather buy a new Minimoog instead of paying the high prices of the originals and also the the real possibility of it failing because it’s so old. Electrical components go bad after 50 years. Three most important things. Model, Year,condition. Good luck hope you have a model that is excellent condition and is a model people might want. The current reissue of the Minimoog model D is very expensive although it’s a lot less then what the used market is asking for an orginal model D Minimoog. Pricing and condition varies. Some sellers ruin the market by asking to much and others copycat the asking price and inflate the market. Which is why moog is getting in on the game so they can undercut those used prices and offer a product that is new more reliable and some modern features.

VCO

Post by VCO » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:37 pm

You could try a website called Modwiggler. People there are interested in synthesizers. After a hundred posts you can buy and sell. You have to register to join the site. Also any of the places that sell vintage synths on the web. Go to eBay you can find different places that buy and sell vintage gear. Best to learn about your gear before you buy and sell. Learn what the market is trending pricewise. Even this website might be a good place to advertise once you figure out what you have and the condition and history. Like how much it might have been used or how many owners were there and if it was ever serviced. I’m not sure of the policy on trying to sell on this site. If you can’t figure out what synth you might have
Take a picture of it, maybe someone can help figure what model it is.

VCO

Post by VCO » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:46 pm

You could also go to vintage synth explorer. I’ve seen listings there as well for buying and selling synths. They also have
Information about various models.

Kayk

Post by Kayk » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:29 pm

Thanks so much everyone!

I did look on eBay and there's yes you in New York for 12,000 but we are in California near Los Angeles so that might be a better place….

Lights come on but the overload light does too so needs a new fuse I think? (which is how I found this website in the first place looking that up)

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:24 am

HI!
To avoid the speculator in the street, you may want to run away from eBay.
You can ask info here for sure, as well as post proposition, I guess. I've already seen that. Modwiggler is most probably a good place too.
Reverb.com is another common place to sell instruments, I have mixed feelings about it.

TheDigitalMan

Post by TheDigitalMan » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:17 am

Just my 2 cents - I've had pretty good success both buying and selling on reverb.com YMMV.

VCO

Post by VCO » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:28 pm

So have you determined that the moog synth you have is a Minimoog modelD? The model D has an overload light.
It would also have some badges. If you have an orginal Minimoog model D and it’s in good condition you might be able to find someone that would buy it sense some people seek out vintage synths and are willing to pay the premium that is associated with vintage gear and also some would opt to get newer reissues avoiding the hassles that come with vintage gear, it’s the pros and cons of vintage synths. Reissues have leveled the playing field so to speak. There are more options now where as if you wanted a certain vintage synth you had limited choices. Law of supply and demand.
Finite number of vintage synths available and a certain number of people interested in them. The good thing is though
Some people will only consider a vintage model of a synth for such reason as the sound of the orginal and the history
And the prestige. Good Luck hope you find the right buyer.

kendallhalbert

Post by kendallhalbert » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:07 pm

Reverb
Original Model D, Taurus 1, Source, Minitaur, Voyager RME, One 16 voice