Sequential Trigon-6!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
MaxFerency

Sequential Trigon-6!

Post by MaxFerency » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:28 pm

The new Sequential Trigon-6 looks to be what I was hoping Moog would follow-up the One with just as they created a Subsequent 25 after the Subsequent 37. It definitely doesn't do as much as the One but is 6-voice polyphony of 3 osc each through a ladder filter and it cost half what a One does.

Just looking for a fat, rich Moog sound on a polysynth I can play jazz on like a Rhodes or Wurly but with more sustain and yet doesn't need eveeerrrrything that the One has.
Max Ferency | http://maxferency.org | max [at] maxferency [dot] org
SYSTEM: macOS & Logic X Pro
GEAR: Matriarch, Sub 37, Korg SV-2, DFAM, MF Drive, MF Delay, MF Boost, Roland RC-202

VCO

Re: Sequential Trigon-6!

Post by VCO » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:52 am

How much polyphony do you need to play jazz harmony? I would think at least 7 voices. 4 notes in your left hand and three in your right. So I would prefer 8 note voicing, would think the ob8X would suffice but that’s 5000. Quartal harmony stacked could be 6 voices easy. Polychords would get you close to 8 too.I play a lot of dense harmony so I guess if you play voicing that spans octaves or close intervals or maybe if you double some of the voices. Some people choose more sparse harmony. I know herbie Hancock voices chords with 8 notes spanning octaves octaves sometimes with tri tone subs. Some people play two five ones and half diminished chords with 5 note voiceing so you could even pull that off with the prophet5 rev4 reissue. That’s a lot of money too but it’s got the sound.

VCO

Post by VCO » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:07 am

If you played polychords combining triads then the sequential synth would be fine. You just couldn’t play the large note voicing using 8 voices. But even 6 note voicing would work well 2 notes in your left hand 4 in your right. And if you played strictly quartal like so what voicing 5 would suffice. Depending on the tempo or maybe if it’s a ballad you could bring out the bigger voicing. On slower tempos I tend to use bigger voicing. But it your soloing just three notes or 4 note chords and thirds or single note lines in your right hand

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:47 am

Harmony starts at 2 notes! ;)
Plus you don't have to carry the whole harmony yourself.
When playing alone, lighter voicings are a nice option: the minimal amount of notes for the color you look for.
When playing in a band, considering what other instruments are playing is an option too.
I feel there is some magic when you "hear" e.g. a minor chord but cannot spot when/by whom the minor third is played....

VCO

Re: Sequential Trigon-6

Post by VCO » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:26 pm

True bill evans used shell voicings and rootless chords. I met McCoy Tyler once had him autograph a album. Saw Tony Williams and herbie Hancock,mulgrew miller,Roy Hargrove, Wallace Rooney Terry Lynn carrington,Michael breaker I was going to study with Geri Allen but she got sick and passed. She had been married to WR and had even had Ron Carter and Tony Williams play on her albums.

Here’s an example of large voicings I would use.

AEGBCDEG/EBDAbCDEG/AEF#BCEAbB/AEGBCEGB/AEAbBCEF#B

I once played with Stanley Turrentine and he stopped playing to come over and look at my hands to see what chord voicing I was using. I remember it to this day because I thought it was funny I had stumped him. He was great. The chord voicing I used was GDFGAbBDbE
From left to right Perfect tonic,perfect fifth, minor seven,perfect octave,minor ninth,perfect tenth,diminished twelfth,major thirteenth. I used this as a substitution on the five seven dominant.
After listening to herbie Hancock I just started to use just color on my voicings, this would be an extreme example of what I might play for an altered dominant chord. Nice to meet you. Good to hear from another jazz musician. Take care

VCO

Post by VCO » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:30 pm

I’m mainly a acoustic jazz piano player but I like synths and keyboards ltring to emulate my jazz hereos.

VCO

Post by VCO » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:44 pm

Used to have fender Rhodes electric pianos back in the day although now use a Yamaha cp300 stage piano for my Rhodes sounds. It can get a Rhodes with a chorus ,phasor,reverb,and even has the suitcase Rhodes sound or of course straight rhodes as well. I used to transport the rhodes around
It was heavy,had the stage piano. Always wanted the suitcase version though. I got mine when the flat top came out. Traded it for a poly moog keyboard.while at berklee college of music in Boston mass. First synth I ever played was a Minimoog model D. Even had a fender Rhodes piano bass would be quite rare nowadays. The doors used those since they didn’t have a bass player. Love 60s jazz my favorite group was of course miles Davis Ron carter, Wayne shorter, herbie Hancock Tony Williams. Nice to meet you again Check out those chord voicings would be interested what you might think. Take care

VCO

Post by VCO » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:14 pm

I heard on the radio last night while listening to a jazz station that’s located in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
A recording of Stanley turrentine playing with Shirley Scott jazz organ player and Stanley’s wife. Stanley turrentine was from Pittsburgh as was art Blakey and George benson

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:23 pm

I took it as a compliment but I'm not a jazz musician, would have loved to :)

Over the years, I've been surprised many times by how simplicity is underrated. I try to stick to those common words of wisdom: less is more.

VCO

Post by VCO » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:19 pm

I see I got confused thought you were a jazz musician. Less is more. Look at all the great songs that were simple. Look how great simple themes and melodys were used in classical. Jazz is about blowing. So extended solos are common place. as is in progressive art rock. In fact having the ability
To create simple melodies is a gift. All the masters knew this from classical to jazz. Rock musicians like the Beatles wrote great songs with simple melodies. I think though for them it was more intuitive
Since they weren’t really schooled musically academically speaking. What does a person remember?
They remember the melody. And simple chord voicings are effective as well. What’s the difference between a jazz guitar player and a rock guitar player? A jazz guitar plays thousands of chords for three people, a rock guitar plays three chords for thousands of people. LOL take care keeping it simple.

MaxFerency

Post by MaxFerency » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:15 am

8 voices is great for jazz but 6 could also be plenty depending on the synth sounds you use. I refer to the rhodes for the polyphonic ADSR and velocity but if you have a fatter synth sound, dense 8-note chords that you could play on a piano could get muddy on the synth. Its timbre as well as harmony. Its all about the interacting with the instrument.

The OB8X also looks intriguing. I wish these instruments were more common in stores so I could hear and play them in person more easily. Regardless, I wish Moog would also release something to fill that space. A Moog Two or something that would be a trimmed down yet still highly functional instrument like the Sub 25 is to the Sub 37.
GEAR: Matriarch, Sub 37, Korg SV-2, DFAM, MF Drive, MF Delay, MF Boost, Roland RC-202

Jaycee_NL

Post by Jaycee_NL » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:46 pm

I agree with this request/wish! It has similarities with my post: “Suggestion: 3 voice polyphonic Moog”.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35726

Also: many people use soft-synths nowadays and buying a much more expensive *monophonic* Moog is not attractive. Three voice polyphony will change that drastically.

So if I combine this with the wish for 6 voice polyphony it would be great if Moog releases a 3 voice AND a 6 voice instrument. “Sound only” will do the job and no things such as effects, arpeggiators etc are necessary. These only make it more expensive. Desktop versions would be great too (and for many home producers like me, do the job. Like upgraded Minitaurs).

It is nice that the Minimoog Model D was released but this only serves the needs of few people whereas the above suggestions will serve the needs of many.

MaxFerency

Post by MaxFerency » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:07 pm

I still love my Sub 37 7 years on and so I'm not going to slight a monophonic synth one bit because it is beautiful at what it was created for. But, I would ALSO just like a more basic polyphonic synth from Moog.

Jaycee_NL

Post by Jaycee_NL » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:31 pm

I agree with that too. I have a subsequent 25 and will buy a Minitaur in December which is also monophonic. I hope the people at Moog will take suggestions as in these 2 threads into account….!
I think it is really a gap in what Moog offers and also commercially very interesting.

VCO

Post by VCO » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:55 pm

That trigon is a lot of bread too. I think it’s $3600 dollars.