"Sound" comparison Grandmother and Sub37?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
lopleini

"Sound" comparison Grandmother and Sub37?

Post by lopleini » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:32 am

I love my Grandmother Dark. Love it. It can go places I didn't expect up front.

Yet, as time passes and I am finding my footing in this endeavour, the lack of save function is starting to nag at me. I mean, obviously you can take down patches on a template, or take a picture of it, but changing from one to the next is not easy.

However, I wouldn't want to drift too far away from "that" Moog sound, if and when I switched to something like the Sub37. Obviously the spring reverb is one difference, and it does make a difference. As is the semi-modular nature of the GM.

In practice, what sound (sculpting) differences would I notice moving on to a Sub37? Do the modulation options somewhat cover the semi-modular nature of the GM? And/or does it ultimately not make too much of a difference in what types of sounds you can design?

MaxFerency

Re: "Sound" comparison Grandmother and Sub37?

Post by MaxFerency » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:52 pm

I have a Sub 37 and a Matriarch so I can make that comparison for you.

First, as expected, its a different playing experience of cables vs presets. The biggest thing is that when I pull up a Sub 37 preset modifying it on the fly is a little tough because the knobs don't reflect the actual position of the preset until you move them. The Matriarch is nice because once you create a patch, you can modify it while playing because you know what they are.

Second the internal mod bus on the Sub 37 is amazing! Anything can modulate anything else. Again that's not something you are doing to do while playing because, while intuitive, it takes a couple button pushes.

Third, the wave forms on the Sub 37 actually are variable wave forms so you can set it between a triangle and a saw.

Generally, you can make similar but they so have different character.
Max Ferency | http://maxferency.org | max [at] maxferency [dot] org
SYSTEM: macOS & Logic X Pro
GEAR: Matriarch, Sub 37, Korg SV-2, DFAM, MF Drive, MF Delay, MF Boost, Roland RC-202