The end of Squarewave? ...the beginning of MoogSpace?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.

Will you be signing up for Moogspace?

Yes
52%
No
48%

Total votes: 27

latigid on

The end of Squarewave? ...the beginning of MoogSpace?

Post by latigid on » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:58 pm

Got Space?
Here is a tantalizing treat...

What if there was a space online where you could upload and share information on all Moog instruments – Voyager, Little Phatty, Moogerfoogers, Theremins and Piano Bar? And what if that space could store an unlimited amount of information, including synth patches, wiring and routing diagrams, MP3 files, photos, links, user tips and pro techniques about Moog instruments, together on one site? What if the space allowed you to configure and hear your favorite Moog instruments and MoogerFooger effects? And you could post technical questions and have them answered by Moog’s own technical support staff? And what if that space also offered special discounts on Moog gear and accessories, and gave you the opportunity to win free stuff?

Wouldn’t that be a cool space?

There IS such a space. It’s called MoogSpace.
And it’s coming November, 2006.

More info to follow soon... perhaps on the Moog forum?
Is GregAE gonna run it?
Last edited by latigid on on Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

museslave

Post by museslave » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:35 pm

Well, it definitely has a slant... it plainly says "all Moog instruments," but what it means is "all current/modern Moog instruments," as nothing made outside of the current incarnation of the company is listed.
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

Modularfan

Got Space?

Post by Modularfan » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:50 pm

So THAT's what those 'Got Space?' pictures on SquareWave and Phatsound have been about over the last two months - MoogSpace! This must be what GregAE meant by that 'stay tuned for a big announcement' comment from back in September. It sure took a while to get here.

MoogSpace seems like it will be pretty cool. Anybody know if it's another Yahoo Groups thing or if it's a Moog Music thing?

- MF

Modularfan

MoogSpace when?

Post by Modularfan » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:00 am

Okay, it's December now - where's MoogSpace? Anybody know what's going on?

- MF

GregAE

Re: MoogSpace when?

Post by GregAE » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:46 pm

Modularfan wrote:Okay, it's December now - where's MoogSpace? Anybody know what's going on?

- MF
Have patience! MoogSpace should be 'up & running' in just a few days.

And no, it's not another Yahoo Groups thing - it's a Moog thing.

You're gonna like it!

- Greg

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:04 pm

I've just had a look at this thing. It looks to me like what we've got now, plus some extras that we may not particularly want, but we have to pay for it.

ARP

Post by ARP » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:35 pm

Yes..while checking it out I got to a menu which said..."now your going to have to give us some money" :( ..looks like i'll pass
"Although they heard the music..they didn't understand the tune"

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:42 pm

ARP wrote:Yes..while checking it out I got to a menu which said..."now your going to have to give us some money" :( ..looks like i'll pass
Surely you know that bandwidth isn't free. 13 bucks a year seems like a pretty good deal for unlimited storage space. Money certainly isn't the motivation for this if they're charging that little. Flickr is $25 per year, and its just for photos.

monads

Post by monads » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:03 pm

The site looks cool and very well designed. I really like it, and i understand charging the fee for storage space.

I just hope this doesn't segregate users from the forums. I mean we had Squrewave, (which is dead now?), then we have the forums here on Moog, and now Moogspace?

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:54 am

monads wrote:The site looks cool and very well designed. I really like it, and i understand charging the fee for storage space.

I just hope this doesn't segregate users from the forums. I mean we had Squrewave, (which is dead now?), then we have the forums here on Moog, and now Moogspace?
I'd expect this forum will close? Otherwise Moog would be running two forums. On the other hand, they'd need to allow guests to post at the new site if they do that, otherwise they'll lose most or all of the people interested in Moog instruments who haven't yet bought one. And if they allow guests, they're going to have to separate the forum from the rest of the new site and make just the other features the thing people are paying for. Mabe they'll rethink and do that, but they haven't designed it that way.

Actually there's another point. When you subscribe they don't just ask for your money, the also ask for your home address details. I don't at all mind Moog having that information, but I really don't like the idea of supplying it for an online service and thus making it available to anyone who hacks the Moog site. When people realise there's a list of the home addresses of loads of people with expensive Moog gear you can bet there are going to be some serious attempts at hacking.

What's the storage space for? Patches? I use my own patches. I haven't even downloaded any from Squarewave, though I subscribed to be in touch with what's going on.

As far as I can see all this will achieve is that either Moog replace Squarewave and nothing much will change, or else they'll open up the new site in replacement of this forum as well and they'll lose several people from here and more importantly lose a lot of prospective Moog customers who begin by discussing Moog products with people who already play them.

As the new site has a carbon copy of these forums already set up I can see that happening.

Duke Foog

Post by Duke Foog » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:40 am

yeah man dont' lose this forum. i'm not gonna pay for info that should be free. especially since i paid over 2 grand for all my moogerfoogers.

ARP

Post by ARP » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:14 pm

I know $13 bucks a year isn't much but as it was already been pointed out..after spending $3k for a voyager..$500. in upgrades...over $1,500. in moogerfoogers -cases- etc.. it don't seem right...I'll definately pass..sorry :(
"Although they heard the music..they didn't understand the tune"

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:01 pm

Hmmm...

It seems as though all the services they offer can already be found for free. Forum; right here, sound files; Squarewave/Phatsound, Ask Amos; on the Moog site. You can post your vids on YouTube, photos on Photobucket etc. and link all of them to the central meeting point of the Moogmusic forum!
Sign up this month for a 60-day FREE TRIAL and you'll be qualified for an introductory offer of $12.95 for a one year membership
Introductory! So it's gonna go up???!!!

Suggestion: Remove photos from Squarewave/PS to free up more space. You can't tell me that sysex files are gonna fill up the quota!

Minimoog Voyager EB: $3395
Little Phatty Tribute: $1475
Being able to access product information, sound files, patch files, photos and support networks for free: $Priceless! Or, $13 a year (probably to increase).

There might be less chance for spam, if it's members only, but then again (as Sweep said) they'd have to allow guest posting to get newbies interested in the first place.

On the plus side, a cheaper belt buckle!

joshbdork

Post by joshbdork » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:54 pm

i'm a poor college kid who manages to spend about 13$ every 2 weeks on food. 2 weeks of food is not worth it to me, sorry.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:35 pm

monads wrote: I just hope this doesn't segregate users from the forums. I mean we had Squrewave, (which is dead now?), then we have the forums here on Moog, and now Moogspace?
Hi Monads,

FYI - SquareWave (and the companion site Phatsound) will be going away. Since MoogSpace encompasses all the features and capabilities of these sites (and a lot more), there's no need to continue them further.

- Greg