Subharmonicon Rhythm

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
tomadzi

Subharmonicon Rhythm

Post by tomadzi » Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:58 am

Hi guys. After 8 years and 4 months of listening to music, a couple of days ago I decided to try to make my own music and 3 days ago I bought a Subharmonicon and a Dfam as my 1st synths. All good, they're are great machines, and I enjoy the learning process, But I got one silly question. Do you guys use more than one rhythm knob of SH to create a sequence, while playing along a Daws’s clock? I use a MafD module to sync a Dfam with an Ableton, then I use a Dfam's trigger output patched to SH's clock input to keep them all in sync with an Ableton. I know the SH was created to make these polyrhythm patterns outstanding and different, but I found it difficult to use more than 1 of SH's rhythm generators to create a sequence that suits the tempo. Once I add a second rhythm knob to sequence 1 it starts to be messy after a couple of circles. Do you have any solution? Any external module that would help quantize for example 2nd rhythm generator to the 1st one to keep it in some mathematical order. Would you give any tips on how to get more control over the quantization of the rhythm while using more than one rhythm knob in a sequence? Would you recommend any patching way? Thx for the replays in advance...

hieronymous

Re: Subharmonicon Rhythm

Post by hieronymous » Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:09 pm

I feel your pain! I don't think I've been able to make a simple 4/4 rhythm with the Subharmonicon yet. Which is fine - that's not what I got it for. The main problem for me is not being able to have the DFAM do anything other than 8 steps - I really wish you could select 5 steps or 6 or 7 or whatever, rather than pull in an external sequencer to trigger it.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you! I personally would find the SubH a difficult synth to use without having experience with others.

synthpeter

Post by synthpeter » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:35 am

There's a trick to have the DFAM do less than 8 steps, by patching PITCH to TEMPO and setting the pitch dials of the ones you want to keep at minimum, and the ones you want to skip to maximum (also set velocity to minimum on the steps to skip). Downside is that you'll lose the pitch lane for shaping the sound...

tomadzi

Post by tomadzi » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:45 am

I use the MAFD module to set any number of steps I want in a sequence. I can have 1 to 16 steps and play each step in any order and each step million time again and again in a row, that module put a DFAM on another level..:) .I recommend checking out MAFD by Sonoclast. I figured it out, you can use more than one rhythm generator within 1 sequence and all rhythm gen. will quantise each other using stack cables patch DFAM velocity out to SH rhythms ins.

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:07 am

synthpeter wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:35 am There's a trick to have the DFAM do less than 8 steps, by patching PITCH to TEMPO and setting the pitch dials of the ones you want to keep at minimum, and the ones you want to skip to maximum (also set velocity to minimum on the steps to skip). Downside is that you'll lose the pitch lane for shaping the sound...
Cool, I think I've heard of that and may even have tried it - will have to try again!

(Sorry for the thread veer)

mathuyaar76

Post by mathuyaar76 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:00 am

The polyrhythm knobs only divide the main clock, not multiply. Each time one ticks the sequence it is attached to moves forward one, and triggers the envelopes.

They don’t interact with each other, but they can be hooked up to the same sequence. They’re fully independent of each other.

To listen to each rhythm just disconnect the others from the sequence you care about to isolate it, you can mix em back together again.