Dfam broken synth or fake YT tutorial

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
tomadzi

Dfam broken synth or fake YT tutorial

Post by tomadzi » Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:53 pm

Hi, I just got a brand new Dfam a couple of weeks ago. Watching some YT tutorials, I try to recreate some patches. I realized that my synth does not behave as a Dfam on a tutorial of one musician. The guy introduces some sounds with a nice kick going on, when I recreated very precisely that patch I got the same pattern for most of the sounds but not that nice pronounced kick. I tweaked all these knobs back and forward to get that sound but no chance. The Kick in the YT tutorial changes its tonality while that guy tweaks a cutoff filter so I assume the sound comes from a Dfam. Is it possible that my new synth is broken or maybe that YouTuber add the kick in the post-production process? Any thoughts?Thx

synthpeter

Re: Dfam broken synth or fake YT tutorial

Post by synthpeter » Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:02 pm

Hard to say without a link to the video. But it's absolutely clear that in a lot of YT videos, even tutorials, the synth outputs are run through effects or postprocessed. It's very rare to see ones just giving you the 100% dry signal.

tomadzi

Post by tomadzi » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:40 pm

Thanks for your reply, I did not want to post any links. Someone could think I'm spamming but yes here you go....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvrxhAO ... xmJ4AaABAg

I can see some Low_Gain Electronics module laying around maybe that's why I can not get that kick within that patch

synthpeter

Post by synthpeter » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:42 am

Beyond the very analog nature of the DFAM that will make every unit sound a bit different, and some patches being extremely sensitive to the slightest difference in settings, there's for sure something going on in that video sound-wise. Maybe it's the way it's recorded, or maybe there's some equalization happening while it's being mixed, or maybe it's even that the upload is re-coded and data compressed by YT, but it's not how my DFAM sounds, especially in the low end. My DFAM sounds brighter and has more tail to such kicks unless I dial down the cutoff, VCF and VCA decay much further..