Mavis out of tune with external controller

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Divergent1

Mavis out of tune with external controller

Post by Divergent1 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:31 pm

I recently received a Mavis. I am having difficulty keeping it in tune. Using the calibration settings from the manual, I can get the onboard keyboard kind of in tune, low C and high C are spot on, every note in-between is flat. When I connect it to my Synthstrom Audible Deluge, I can get the low C tuned to whatever octave I choose, but then going up the scale it goes so flat that the high C of that octave is a B. That is just in one octave. If I scroll up or down an octave, the notes don't match at all low C becomes an F#. This is not the case with my external digital Modal synth.

Long story short, on it's own Mavis is somewhat in tune. Playing with others, it's not even close. This is the first synth I have owned that needs calibration and tuning. Has anyone else had this issue or am I doing something wrong? It is really hot in my apartment. I'm in Seattle and most places don't have AC, could the 90 degree heat be causing this? Might it be more stable once temperatures go down? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Divergent1

Re: Mavis out of tune with external controller

Post by Divergent1 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:51 pm

So I spoke with Moog who said my Deluge and Keystep were not correct voltages and were to blame. My Deluge is set to 1v per octave. Keystep, I can't seem to find how to set the voltage in Midi Control Center. But I do not believe their conclusion this is correct. I sent videos to Moog showing my exact setup and there was no answer. So I am returning my Mavis. Such a disappointment. I think the 1v CV is not correctly set to 1v. Messing about with the Deluge going from 1v to .90v, I think my Mavis input it is set to .95v.

Disappointing experience and answer from Moog.

Divergent1

Post by Divergent1 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:13 pm

Last note on this, I returned my Mavis. Moog CS was actually very helpful and I tried all of their suggestions but this is just not the instrument for me.

gr00veh0lmes

Post by gr00veh0lmes » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:07 am

Divergent1 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:13 pm Moog CS was actually very helpful and I tried all of their suggestions…
Hi, I’m experiencing a similar issue, could I ask what solutions Moog suggested?