Moog needs a new model

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
thewaag

Moog needs a new model

Post by thewaag » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:22 pm

Boy, now that the initial hoopla is over on the LP's being delivered, things are getting a bit dull around here. We go some days without a single post. This post is a perfect example of how boring things have become...

Moog needs to announce the release of a new model to get things hopping around here again!! :P
Thanks Bob!!

The Unknown

Post by The Unknown » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:27 pm

Okay, so what do you reckon they should release, then? How about a voice processor, or something?
It is better to be loved or hated than to be regarded with indifference.
I might look a fool, I might act the fool, but take me for a fool and I'll make a fool of you.
If the past is ill, make the future better.

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:00 pm

It has got to be something big.....foogers are cool, but they do not generate the speculation and interest that a new synth does.

I am afraid that we are probably 3-4 years off on another new groundbreaking synth, though. Not counting the Stage LP, of course. :wink:

Realistically, though, what is left for them to do? Are they going to keep rehashing altered copies of the LP and Voyager? A Memorymoog type of keyboard would be great but too spendy for most. A modular? Cool, but not realistic. I would suspect some sort of polyphonic synth.

Then again a sequencer would be cool, but there are already quite a number of those out there.....

I think that I will go play my LP, rather than continue this speculation.......
Thanks Bob!!

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:56 am

The Taurus IV would be cool.
Probably not enough demand for one.
How about a Moog Ribbon/Guitar?
I don't think they made enough of these.
Terry

industrial_gypsy

Post by industrial_gypsy » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:26 am

Realistically, though, what is left for them to do
Freudian slip or do you know something we don't? A new MG-1 on the way is it?

It is difficult to forecast where they go from here as they've got the ultimate mono in the Voyager and probably the cheapest synth they could make in the LP.

Any poly they made would be too expensive and lose out to the PEK, Andromeda etc.

Maybe they'll develop the pianobar concept and adapt it to different acoustic instruments (bagpipes, jew's harp etc)

Mr. Incredible

Post by Mr. Incredible » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:33 am

A new Taurus model would be so cool.
But not just a rehash of the Taurus I but a new model, kinda like the Voyager vs Model D mini.
Call it the Taurus Voyager, if you will :lol:

But on the other hand, I would take a 1:1 rehash of ye ole Taurus I any time of the day :wink:

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:13 am

If DSI and Alesis can do a polysynth then Moog can certainly do this.They can also more simply to keep costs down. The essence of the memorymoogs appeal is that it has 6 not poly and a very simple minimoog style interface. any less than 6 note poly is pointless to me.

Also they have the benefit of hindsight as all the competitors in this field have already shown their cards. A new memorymoog IS the way forward and is necessary to Moog completing their synth lineup. It makes no business sense for Moog not to release a poly at this point considering that their competitors already have prouct out in this field. So id put money on the next product being a poly synth or expander racks to add to the phatty.

To sum up theyll probably do one or all of the following:-

1.Release a memorymoog replacement- the design is perfect it just needs to be reliable and have midi.
2.Release LP rackmount that has the abilty to chain to the LP for poly
3. Relase a vco moogerfooger with midi

Expanders or rackmounts are a bit cumbersome just to add poly so again i put my money on the next moog product after the stage Lp being a memorymoog replacement.
I dont reckon a taurus replacement is viable though.-Too niche.
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

Mr. Incredible

Post by Mr. Incredible » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:29 am

goldphinga wrote:(...)I dont reckon a taurus replacement is viable though.-Too niche.
It may be a niche product, but so ist the Voyager - in todays standards, anyway. Who in their healthy sense would invest their hard earned dough in a monophonic analog synthesizer when you can have polyphony et all for a much lesser price? Image
(Well, I did, and so did many others, too Image )

Anyway, sounds like the exact same clientel that would spend $$ on a new Taurus pedal to me.

But then I'm not a marketing guy and I guess you're probably right:
a polysynth would make more sense.

Dom

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:23 pm

how bout the theremin cello?

i actually emailed them about 3 years ago asking if they would ever make one of those
but yeah they said that although it would be cool there would be no market for it, but that they were thinking of doing a rackmount voyager :)

the way i look at it, most of moogs customers are on this forum, and moog really pays attention to what we all say.

although it didn't make that much sense to re-release the delay as it would cost too much, they soon realised that we were prepared to pay stupid money on ebay for the old one, and lept to the rescue with a new model (i'm so glad i didn't have to get one off ebay, they'd be over $2000 now if it weren't for the Z/SD)

so maybe they will release a taurus? i don't see th point myself, why not just get midi foot pedals + RME?

i think they could make a poly for less than everyone thinks, if the stage really is gonna be only a grand then a poly doesn't really seem that immpossible to me.

but i don't think it'll be the next product, the next one will probably be the "as yet unreleased goodie" whatever that may be

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:29 pm

wow i didn't see that guitar pic b4!

that's awesome!

even better than the theremin cello!

any info on that thing? i've never heard of that b4

how much do they go for these days?

Rogue

Post by Rogue » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:33 pm

I wonder how different the "stage" version of the LP will look. Maybe no funky curved wood panels? A more straightforward, angular, wood-free design?
[url=http://www.myspace.com/spceco][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/garbageboxlove/motion/star_pulse-1.gif[/img] [b]Shine on down...[/b][/url]

The Unknown

Post by The Unknown » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:43 pm

That Moog Ribbon/Guitar is seriously cool. Never seen one before, when did they release it and how many are out there?
It is better to be loved or hated than to be regarded with indifference.
I might look a fool, I might act the fool, but take me for a fool and I'll make a fool of you.
If the past is ill, make the future better.

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:40 pm

Guys,

Moog is a small company so they have their hands full with the LP, Voyager upgrades, etc. They just released the LP so it's gonna be a while. There's an interview with Dr. Moog (sorry no link) where he says that Moog can't do the Taurus because of the pedal boards. No company that makes the right one will sell in such small quantities to Moog...that's from Bob's own mouth so the Taurus isn't going to happen. I think the next synth release will be a LP rack mount for adding voices to either the Voyager, LP, or other synth. That will gives us a poly Moog option and an even less expensive synth for newcomers to Moog. That ribbon guitar is sweet.

till

Post by till » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:42 pm

Give the team at Moog time to breath before doing another good synth. It takes plenty of work to do a synth right. And Moog's R&D is not done by 20 engineers.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:59 pm

theres lots of discussion on the stage lps potential appearance over at vintagesynth.com discussions.
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.