Moog needs a new model

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Suburban Bather

Post by Suburban Bather » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:50 pm

latigid on wrote:
godzilla wrote:i really don't see what's so great about the Taurus
...mind blowing bass.
I've never heard a Taurus in person. I can tell you that I've not been able to get away from Taurus emulators in Reaktor. :P

Sick, sick, sick, sick, sick.............................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P0LYM00G

Post by P0LYM00G » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:27 am

If people want a new Moog then why not this thing? Looks kind of like an enhanced Voyager. It seemed at first it was real, then probably a hoax, now there seems to be more evidence it might be real. But who knows. Actually that should be a question. Does anybody know about it or seen one in person?

P0LYM00G

Post by P0LYM00G » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:29 am

Or maybe Moog should do something like this.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:08 am

Is it polyphonic?

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:58 am

P0LYM00G wrote:Or maybe Moog should do something like this.

this would be a cg/photoshop synth. :p
www.ctrlshft.com

P0LYM00G

Post by P0LYM00G » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:55 pm

Yes. It's the well known computer 3D rendered Sage synth. But Moog should do something like that anyway.

ARP

Post by ARP » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:43 pm

Please Moog..Roland...Korg...somebody? build this thing so Polymoog can get on....he still thinks it's real :?
"Although they heard the music..they didn't understand the tune"

The Unknown

Post by The Unknown » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:06 pm

I think he's the hoaxer! :wink:
It is better to be loved or hated than to be regarded with indifference.
I might look a fool, I might act the fool, but take me for a fool and I'll make a fool of you.
If the past is ill, make the future better.

P0LYM00G

Post by P0LYM00G » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:26 pm

The SMS 2000 is exactly the kind of thing Moog should have been working on after the Voyager. Instead, we get the Little Phatty. UUGG.

DBER

Post by DBER » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:36 pm

i've got an old yamaha electone organ sitting around, and on the 'solo' keyboard it has an amazing vibrato function where the player can wobble the entire keybed itself back and forth a couple of millimeters, creating a vibrato effect. If moog could release a synth with this function and then you could have it control anything on the synth such as cutoff or pitch, i think that would be amazing. even a simple midi controller with this function would satisfy my needs

MC

Post by MC » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:43 pm

Yup, I've seen one of those Electone organs with the side-to-side solo keyboard. That was a custom keyboard frame that Yamaha built for that purpose - a simple optoelectronic system detected the side-to-side motion and converted it to a modulation signal. While it is simple in principle, it would be very expensive in hardware as you would need the custom keybed.

Mooger5

Post by Mooger5 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:12 am

How about a Moog X-Voice? Imagine a rack version of the LP with the option of adding an infinite number of modules to turn them into a modular polyphonic system. To increase the number voices you´d simply add more modules, just like with the old Oberheims, but now there would be a link function so that one module would be the master programmer.

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:35 pm

With regards a new Taurus ... When we interviewed Bob back in May 2004 for the RLMusic interview he was very, very shocked when Richard revealed that restored, second-hand T1's were selling for over 2500 pounds and that RLMusic could not meet the world-wide demand!

Bobs main questions to us (if you look at the video Bob stops the interview and starts to interview Richard) were about the pedal board, not the voice architecture. Clearly it might be diffecult for moog to create an "all-in-one" foot unit as the pedal boards themselves are expensive and hard to source in small numbers but the sound making components are easy for moog to create ... I would stick my neck out and say thay have gone down that route already ... who knows what we might see shortly.

One thing I did learn from my intensive three days with Bob is that he could be quite candid ... I repeatedly talked to him about a cut-down, giggable Voyager and he kept saying it wasn't in the happening... even after a few glasses of wine! And it wasn't too long after that I heard about the LP so you never know.

Personally ... and this is just my opinion ... I see the LP as an exercise for the relaunch of a polyphonic moog. What better way to test a new operating and control system then to build a cheap monosynth ... then all you gotta do is add more of the same in a bigger box with a longer keyboard... would be great if it also included the MF ringmod and delay.

If you look back at the first coming of moogmusic... when Bob ran the ship in the 60's and early 70's it was all about mono modulars and portable monos. When Bob left and Norlin took over they opened up the engineering dept. to different ideas... combo organs, polysynths and digital controls. Now that bob has left us I could see the guys at todays moogmusic venturing into different realms which would be great!.

Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Mal
http://www.mee3d.com
3d animation & compositing | multimedia design & production | web design & development | dvd authoring & encoding | audio surround mixing & composition

ARP

Post by ARP » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:06 pm

Personally ... and this is just my opinion ... I see the LP as an exercise for the relaunch of a polyphonic moog
The Big Phatty?
"Although they heard the music..they didn't understand the tune"

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:14 pm

A few things about the T1.

The oscillators are mixed passively and this creates some distortion and phase cancellations.
The actual Taurus patch is two VCOs that aren't quite mixed equally.

The biggest thing about T1's is that they use linear oscillators.
They keep a constant beat ratio between them.
The oscillators don't even have scaling trimmers to adjust inside.