Suggestion: 3 voice polyphonic analog Moog

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Jaycee_NL

Suggestion: 3 voice polyphonic analog Moog

Post by Jaycee_NL » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:07 am

Recently I bought a Subsequent 25 and I really like it. I checked for other Moog products afterwards because the Subsequent 25 tastes like more. What I would be really happy with is a Moog that has true 3 voice polyphonic (so *not* paraphonic).

Unfortunately it seems that the next step regarding polyphony is a Moog One with 8 voice polyphony and features that are not necessary for people who use sequencer software, such as arpeggiator and effects. This all together results in a much higher price for the Moog One.

Why a request for 3 voice polyphony? Well, basic chords exist of 3 notes and 3 note chords are used very often in my genre (dub techno/ house). So from my perspective it would be really cool if Moog could design a new synth with true 3 voice polyphony, a small keyboard (max 37 keys), with MIDI in/out and no features that can be done by sequencer software. So basically it would mean: sound only, no arpegiators/effects. More or less like a Subsequent 25 with 3 note polyphony (and maybe a 37 key keyboard) :D

I will buy the first one produced :D

stiiiiiiive

Re: Suggestion: 3 voice polyphonic analog Moog

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:32 am

Hi Jaycee_NL!

I have a poor culture regarding house/dub/techno and I don't want to discuss your needs but here are some thoughts :)

If chords are what you're after, paraphony can be a good compromise. Polyphony will bring you new options for voice articulation, which is different than just "stabbing" some chords.

On a side note, about duophony, I find 2-note chords interesting as they do not fully set the harmony. They rather leave a role to other parts (e.g. bass line), or they leave some space for harmonic tension/resolution. Here is an example: imagine you play a chord composed of 2 notes Eb and Bb. They can be seen as the fondamental and fifth of a Eb chord but also as the minor third and minor seventh of a Cm7 chord. In function of the bass you will play, they'll paint a different picture.
Same for, say, E and G: they can be part of a C chord, an Em chord or even a G6 chord etc. Playing those without playing the bass right away and bringing the bass later can be interesting. You got it: the lesser the notes in the chord, the more the possibilities :)

I came to find paraphony to be a stimulating constraint too; I consider that the unique filter and envelope are something to compose with rather than a limitation. You can see this technical specificity to be a mean to obtain specific, original sounds, e.g. having one note with a long attack and a little melody with quick attack simultaneously...

If you have a MIDI polyphonic synth, here is something I like to do with my Little Phatty and a little 4-note digital synth: LP's MIDI out into the synth's MIDI in, synth's audio out into the LP's audio input. Set the LP's oscillators volume to zero and adjust filter and envelopes to taste. Here's my Moog-ish polyphonic synth :)

If you really prefer polyphony but you cannot afford a Moog One, there is an alternative: use several monophonic Moog synths. To do so, you need something to manage the voice distribution. Here are a couple alternatives:
- go software: I'm quite sure some little applications can do that
- use an hardware voice management unit like for example the Spacebraincircuits MidiVolts
- finally, go polychaining. Not sure what the Sub25 allows, but the Little/Slim Phatty, Minitaur and Voyager allow that...

Hope this helps!
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaycee_NL

Post by Jaycee_NL » Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:23 am

Hi, thanks for your reply and suggestions. Interesting to read about this.

What I do now is record each note of the chord on a different audio track. This means 3 audio tracks with the same synth settings and the same automation settings for the filter etc. This works but is quite a lot more time consuming. Because only after recording 3 times I know the result.

While I could buy 3 Subsequent 25's it would be a lot more easy if Moog fills the gap between the 8 voice synths, and the monophonic synths..... :D

MaxFerency

Post by MaxFerency » Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:02 am

I agree with both you.

I think paraphony has a different more gritty sound that polyphony generally does. I like it a lot and some times play my Sub 37 with one hand and my Matriarch with my other to get more notes of it. Its definitely a fun sounds.

That said, I'd also just love a less expensive 4 voice polyphonic synth from Moog to get that warm creamy Moog sound that I love that I can play more like an rhodes, etc. The Moog One is too much synth for me. Since the Subsequent 25 is like the little sibling of the Subsequent 37, I'm hoping one day they will come out with a similar little sibling to the Moog One.
Max Ferency | http://maxferency.org | max [at] maxferency [dot] org
SYSTEM: macOS & Logic X Pro
GEAR: Matriarch, Sub 37, Korg SV-2, DFAM, MF Drive, MF Delay, MF Boost, Roland RC-202

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:35 am

I have thought about buying multiple Sirens and polychaining them using a MIDI distributer, as mentioned above

MaxFerency

Post by MaxFerency » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:11 am

I had a Minitaur for a while and tried poly-chaining it with my Sub 37 and it worked for chords but not really polyphonic playing. I eventually sold the Minitaur. I now also have a Matriarch and I'll play that as a 4-voice paraphony and it has a great sound, but if I want a right hand melodic line over left hand chords it doesn't really cut through because of how nice and fat the osc are so instead I play the melody in the Sub 37 with a slightly brighter patch and it works well.

The other thing about trying to play paraphonically on the Matriarch is the is key velocity doesn't affect the volume of the osc that you are playing so if you want a quieter left hand chord and a louder right hand melodic line, you can't do that. You can route the key velocity to control volume but its for the whole keyboard and not each individual osc.
Max Ferency | http://maxferency.org | max [at] maxferency [dot] org
SYSTEM: macOS & Logic X Pro
GEAR: Matriarch, Sub 37, Korg SV-2, DFAM, MF Drive, MF Delay, MF Boost, Roland RC-202

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:56 am

Velocity usually controls volume through VCAs. If you have one only one of them, you cannot set different volumes for different oscillators.

Jaycee_NL

Post by Jaycee_NL » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:43 am

Do people from Moog actually read this forum or is this unclear? I have no clue how many suggestion they receive, probably a lot, but -at least for me- it would be nice if they read this one :lol:
Because all the basics are already in house at Moog, I guess it will not be very difficult for them to make a 3 voice polyphonic synth.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:00 pm

In industry, nothing is "not very difficult" ;)

Jaycee_NL

Post by Jaycee_NL » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:14 pm

Well, if it would be that easy they could easily open a custom shop :D Just check the boxes regarding number of voices polyphony, size of keyboard, effects or not, arpeggiator or not. And so on :lol:

My customization wishes can be found in my first post here :roll:

Jaycee_NL

Post by Jaycee_NL » Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:28 am

I still need this. And I am convinced it will become a best seller. So people @Moog, what are you waiting for :D ?

VCO

Re: Suggestion: 3 voice polyphonic analog Mooto have

Post by VCO » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:47 am

It wouldn’t be a moog but you could get a sequential pro3 it’s monopohonic/paraphonic. 3 voice paraphony
It wouldn’t be a moog but you could get a sequential take5 true 5 voice polyphony.
You could get a moog matriarch I believe it’s 4 voice paraphonic but of course it’s semi modular and is really designed to be a monophonic semi modular synth that has the ability to be paraphonic. The real question is do you want true polyphony. You could even get a sequential prophet 5 rev four . It’s great but big bucks. Thier are other sequential synths that have DCOs and are 8 voice or 16 voice polyphony . There’s the sequential prophet6 that has 6 voice polyphony why do you want 3 voice polyphony? If I wanted a polyphonic synth I would liketo have aleast 8 voices but would settle for 5. I play jazz though and my chord voicing have extensions. Dense harmony and ornamental voices. Big Friggin Chords lol polychords. Not your garden variety three note convention of three voices. If you do house or EDM then three note voicing might suffice. And last but least if you opt to play a digital synt there are some that offer 128 or even 256 if I remember right. It’s been awhile since I’ve looked at current digital workstation romplers. Point is digtal aka sample based synths offer more polyphony at a lower price point. 8 voices in the analog realm is huge sounding though. Hope this helps take care

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:02 am

If you leave 2 moog synths alone together in a room, maybe they'll breed?

OP: you can get something like a micromonsta, or one of those roland mini polys ( juno? ) they would be perfect for your use. And 4-8 voices.

Jaycee_NL

Post by Jaycee_NL » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:41 pm

Thnx for your suggestion! I also have a Sequential rev 8 which is pretty okay.
But: since I have a Subsequent 25 (earlier this year) I really want to have thát with 3 voice polyphony. And many people making house/techno will love that too.

For us the sound is the only thing that counts. All other things such as keyboard, effects, arpeggiators etc are not needed and making it unnecessary more expensive. We use DAW’s for that. So even a 3 voice polyphonic desktop version would be great. Like an upgraded Minitaur :mrgreen: :D

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:57 am

I’d suggest a one osc ( like on the moog one with seperated variable saw and beating variable square ) , 8 voice 2 eg, 1 or two lfo’s, noise .price 2-2,5k