question about midi

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
haleyb

question about midi

Post by haleyb » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:59 am

Howdy:

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on both a Slim Phatty and Minitaur both. I'm a former LP stage 2 owner so I'm familiar with the control layout on that.

The slim phatty will be a part of my Foogertron rack, and the minitaur I plan to mainly pair up with my Fatar midi bass pedals (but who knows?).

Before you start, keep in mind that I'm not a keyboard player. I'm a bass player. So I don't need a full size keyboard, I'm going to be creating synth patches with the Slim for ambient soundscapes, and dropping bombs with the minitaur, and if I can ever figure it out, might have some sequencing happening from outboard sequencer or iPad or something.

So 25 key would be OK, should have modwheels. But what else am I looking for?

For example, a few years ago when I was looking to do this I was looking at the m-audio axiom and axiom pro 25 key.... Will this work with what I'm trying to do? What are the knobs and ""pads"" for?

I'm 100% new to MIDI, I know what it does in theory but I've never done any of it myself.

What other 25 key controllers can you recommend?

Also, my midi bass pedals are pretty low tech - is there some other kind of MIDI interface I can use with them, with the Minitaur that would allow me a display to see what patch is playing, etc?

Thanks