Tuning calibration on the Grandmother

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Diode

Tuning calibration on the Grandmother

Post by Diode » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:13 am

Hi all,

Just been checking through the Grandmother manual: I can't see anywhere that describes how the Grandmother can be tuned....On my Sub Phatty I can go into shift mode and launch a tuning process where the instrument is tuned...Does such a process exist for the Grandmother?...Have I missed something????

Thanks all.

I am a synth novice still, just reaching out to all you experts out there.

Thanks,

Diode.

till

Re: Tuning calibration on the Grandmother

Post by till » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:29 am

Most synths without a patch memory don't have a tuning process. They are calibrated via trimmers inside. These often don't need to re calibrated for years.
Please give the analog synths at least 15 min to get in stabil tuning after its switched-on.

The Sub Phatty, I own one, got a patch memory. So every parameter is not set via direct changes of a potentiometer resistor, but via a little computer measuring the pots position and giving a digital data to a digital to analog converter and then different voltage to the analog sound circuits to change the parameters. And because there is a computer inside and the parameter data can be changed according to a calculated calibration/tuning measurement, it features a tuning and calibration process.

All these real pure analog synth got no tuning process:
the classic Minimoog, Micromoog, Multimoog, Moog Prodigy,
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Diode

Post by Diode » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:18 am

Hi till,

Thanks for your informative reply.

I am a complete novice still, so that was really helpful to understand the difference between vintage analogue and the modern digital take on synths when it comes to tuning.

Regards,

Diode

flamingbuttwind

Post by flamingbuttwind » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:35 am

I distinctly remember reading the calibration routine in my Matriarch manual but now that I'm looking through the pdfs on the Moog website I can't find it. So now i have no idea where I read it :shock:

anyway this should be what you're looking for: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... nd-update/