HOW TO SET LFO RE- TRIGGER ON MOOG GRANDMOTHER

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Diode

HOW TO SET LFO RE- TRIGGER ON MOOG GRANDMOTHER

Post by Diode » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:08 am

Hi all,

Just wanting to check this process:

So, I want to set the LFO to re- trigger on every new note played on the Grandmother:

For example, if I want the LFO to modulate osc1 wave, I take the wave out of osc 1 and plug the cable into the sync in input of the LFO section.And like wise, to modulate the filter cut off, I take a cable from the filter output and plug into the sync in of the LFO?

Just checking the above is correct?

Thanks,

Diode

Diode

Re: HOW TO SET LFO RE- TRIGGER ON MOOG GRANDMOTHER

Post by Diode » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:31 am

Hi all,

Just following on from my last post regarding how to re- trigger the LFO on the Grandmother...

So, I have just been looking through the example patches in the Grandmother manual...I can't see any examples of a patch that shows the cable routing to re- trigger the LFO via the LFO sync input...Please could someone point me to an example patch which shows how the LFO on the Grandmother being re- triggered??

If there are other ways to re- trigger the LFO on the Grandmother please could someone help?

Thanks,

Diode

till

Post by till » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:16 am

You don't have to use an oscillator for the LFO Sync. This would sync the LFO many, many times per second, even with no sound played (the VCOs run all the time. The VCA opens the sound to be heard).
You need to patch a keyboard gate into the LFO sync. So the LFO is synced every time a key is pressed.
Of cuase, you need to set up the intended modulation to the vCOs or VCF as well, to hear the modulation with the reset LFO cycle on each new key played.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Diode

Post by Diode » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:25 am

Hi till,

Thanks for your detailed reply

So, do you mean I take a patch cable out of the 'KB OUT' in the ARP/SEQ modual of the Grandmother and patch this cable to the 'SYNC IN ' in the modulation modual? Next, I would set up any modulation routin , e.g LFO modulating the filter cut off

Once all the above was done the LFO would re- trigger on every key pressed?

Thanks,

Diode

till

Post by till » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:19 am

Patch the GATE OOU into the SYNC IN of the LFO.
Use the LFO section PITCH AMT or CUTOFF AMT or the PULSE WIDTH AMT (of cause only if you actually use retangular wave shapes of the VCOs) knobs to get a modulation you are searching for. Of cause you need to might need to use the Modwheel to get this done (I am not a Grandmother owner).

When you play (or use the sequencer or arpeggiator), each new note will reset the LFO wave shape to its starting point. So if you use a rather slow LFO, you get some nice additional envelope like modulation.
The SYNC IN is not need for normal vibrato. But very useful for rhythmical filter modulations matching the keyboard playing note beginn.

The sync on analog LFOs is not to be confused with MIDI (tempo) sync of digital LFOs. the later syncs the LFO speed to the tempo set up on the instrument or received via MIDI clock.

If you find a sound or a useful modulation setting, keep a note of it or a smartphone photo. Or even better, learn to remember these settings. You will notice, the handling of a synth is getting easier each time you use it. And it is always a good thing to meet other synthesists to exchange ideas and experiences. I learned many things this way before something like the internet became known to average people.

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Diode

Post by Diode » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:20 pm

Hi til,

Thanks for your educational reply.

I get really bogged down with MIDI and cv connections.

Just to confirm then..My Moog Sub Phatty is digital LFO, so if I were to get hold of a Subsequent 25, could the MIDI out of the Sub Phatty be connected to the MIDI IN of the Subsequent 25 so that both LFO clocks of these instruments would ' beat in sympathy' with each other?..Would this be an automatic sync up?

Or, would I need a 'third party clock', like a Drum machine, a Arturia Drumbrute Impact , for example to control the LFOS of the Sub Phatty and Subsequent 25?

Thanks,

Diode

till

Post by till » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:55 am

They won't sync by default on most synth. Some settings need to be done first besides MIDI connections.

But the Sub Phatty doesn't send out the needed MIDI clock. So SubPhatty MIDI Out to the Subsequent 25 MIDI In won't work.

But with an external MIDI clock and the LFOs of both synths set to sync to MIDI clock, this should work. So use one MIDI clock sending MIDI hardware or MIDI interface with the right software to send MIDI CLock to the MIDI In of both synths.

But I don't own a Sebsequent to know if it sends out MIDI clock to control the SubPatty's LFO by connecting Subsequent MIDI Out to SubPhatty MIDI In.

And be careful not to create MIDI loops. These cause crazy acting synths.

Sequence:

Diode

Post by Diode » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:35 am

Hi til,

Thanks for another informative relply, you have been very helpful.

Regards,

Diode