Big Briar?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
hieronymous

Big Briar?

Post by hieronymous » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:55 am

My entry into the world of analog synthesis and Moog was through a couple of moogerfoogers (MF-101 & MF-103) purchased in 2002, branded as "Big Briar" and with Bob Moog's signature on the faceplate. It was later that same year that he got the rights to the Moog name back, but I still managed to acquire a couple more Big Briar MFs (an MF-104 analog delay purchased in Japan and a CP-251). I still have these - they are treasured possessions at this point and I still use them regularly.

The other day, for the first time, I did a Google search on Big Briar, initially for the timing of the change to Moog Music Inc., but also found this wonderful article about Bob Moog's property in North Carolina:

Music in the Forest: Protecting Bob Moog's Big Briar Cove

Now I know - it's the name of a place! Read the article about the conservation of the property, but here's a quote about the music side:

"When Moog purchased the property in 1978, he was already well established in his career as an inventor and entrepreneur. He founded Big Briar, Inc. and built and sold custom electronic musical instruments under the Big Briar name until 2002, when the name was changed to Moog Music, Inc. At the workshop on the Big Briar Cove property, Moog experimented with designs for his electronic instruments and produced many instruments that were sold through his company."

I will treasure my Big Briar moogerfoogers all the more knowing this. Thank you Bob Moog!

ummagumma

Re: Big Briar?

Post by ummagumma » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:35 am

That's a great link, thanks for posting!

I had never seen pics of the area; it's nice!! it is good to know it's been left to a conservation society to preserve

Didn't realize there was a CP module that far back. Bob really was promoting the modular aspect of those Moogerfoogers. Back then I just thought they were fancy guitar pedals :) little did I know how versatile they are.

Congrats on your set!

I have a Big Briar MF101