The best current synth for sounding like a moog in the 1970s (that isn't a moog)

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
yuva12

The best current synth for sounding like a moog in the 1970s (that isn't a moog)

Post by yuva12 » Mon May 24, 2021 5:29 am

I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first post. I've been curious as to what you think the greatest currently available synth is for getting Perrey or Mort Garrison sounds. Although you may still buy moogs today, I thought it would be interesting to consider alternatives (and could help me save some money). The Behringer Model D is clearly a rival, but I believe the Behringer Odyssey can produce a wider spectrum of sounds and includes built-in effects that help it stand out.

analogmonster

Re: The best current synth for sounding like a moog in the 1970s (that isn't a moog)

Post by analogmonster » Tue May 25, 2021 6:42 am

Define "sounding like a moog in the 1970s" No, a track or an artist is *NOT* a definition. If you refer to a sound of a certain artist or track, an instrument is just a small component. A "producer" lets an "artist" play a certain "Moog instrument" in a "studio" of his choice with a certain "akustic environment" and "mixing equipment" and records it on a "8 track" or whatever. Live performances are even more complicated.

If you just pick the "Moog instrument" from the list above and want to be close to the sound of that, you must consider that a sound of a synthesizer is the sum of the circit design, component tolerances / failures, board layouts, patch configuration and how you play it. All this creates a sound atmosphere which the instruments from that time are associated with, even the unwanted noise adds of a CA3080 OTA.

I cloned a Moog System 55 Modular and dived into the circuits to look "under the skirt" of the sound of that time. I would say, I am quite close to the sound of that time with it, but I know it will *NEVER* be identical, as I sometimes had to replace old components by new types, and I did an own layout of the circuits.

The same with Behriner clones or the Moog reissues or others. They all sound fantastic, but will slightly differ in some details, even if you reimplement the 24db ladder filter of e.g. the MINI.

So just buy an instrument you like to the price you like, that is my recommendation.

ummagumma

Re: The best current synth for sounding like a moog in the 1970s (that isn't a moog)

Post by ummagumma » Tue May 25, 2021 10:07 pm

Holy crap, you built that thing?? Incredible

Truly an analogue monster :lol:

Good answer....

My vote would be the Grandmother, it really has a great vintage sound & the spring reverb is awesome. And it is pretty affordable. And versatile/expandable if you get other external modules

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:56 pm

Sounding like Mort Garson is going to require programming and phrasing similarly to how he did it. Phrasing is almost more important than the actual instrument used.

Moslab and Synth-Werk are about as close as you can possibly get. Maybe those Behringer 900 series modules are just as suitable.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

topazann

Post by topazann » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:01 pm

the Moog Grandmother is one of the most “vintage” sounding brand new synths out there right now and is a huge bargain. There’s something about it that just sounds “older” than basically everything else at its price point and below.

Still, the Behringer is the most budget-friendly option, unless software is also allowed - NI Monark, U-He Diva and Synapse The Legend are strong contenders.

Super Synthlord

Post by Super Synthlord » Sat May 14, 2022 4:04 am

That something is the modular style filter colouration think from the modular systems. Puts it in late 60s early 70s. Similar to mini Moog.

Cheap = behinger model D

Personally I'd get a neutron, in fact I did. Grandmother and neutron is so rich dark old fat warm etc. Almost Buchela.

VCO

Post by VCO » Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:07 am

A sequential pro3 sounds very moogish and can sound futuristic as well. I realize it’s been awhile since the orginal post and not sure if you’ve acquired another synth by now but that is a synth that is great because it can sound futuristic but vintage as well has three different filters moog filter, oberhiem, filter, prophet6 filter

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:33 pm

If you have an iPad, the Moog apps are VERY good, and reasonably inexpensive as well.

I’d recommend the Model 15 for its patching flexibility to do Mort Garson types of stuff.
If you don’t have an iPad, a used one can be had pretty cheaply, and you can even do multitrack recording both internally, and externally from other sources with a bit of hardware.
Works well, is easy to use, is extremely portable, and sounds surprisingly professional in the right hands.
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com

VCO

Post by VCO » Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:34 am

I have an ipadpro. What recordings apps and interface might you use? I’ve been interested in using my ipadpro for recording although wasn’t sure of the hardware and software most peoples are using for the iPad. I wasn’t sure of the cost either. I don’t know much about it thanks

VCO

Post by VCO » Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:35 am

I use animoogz and factory and aparillo