Neophyte Voyager question

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
SickLefty

Neophyte Voyager question

Post by SickLefty » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:36 pm

Hi all. I'd like to know which parameters on my Voyager Anniversary Edition, if any, can be slaved via MIDI sync to my DAW's tempo. It looks like LFO rate CAN sync to MIDI, but I'd really like, for example, to be able to sync Osc3 frequency to MIDI clock in for pulsating sounds in which pulsation rate is controlled by Osc3. Is there a way to do this? Thanks for any help with this.

ummagumma

Re: Neophyte Voyager question

Post by ummagumma » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:08 pm

if you go into "master menu" and then "MIDI enables" on the Voyager, it will list what you can control & the CC #'s

I see some things in there for OSC1,2,3

Also the manual lists MIDI CC #'s for different parameters

I have yet to figure out how to send a CC# from my DAW though :lol:

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:47 pm

Sending a CC for controlling is a thing, syncing an oscillator to a MIDI clock is another :)
Not sure OSC3 can be synced to any clock :/

SickLefty

Post by SickLefty » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:12 pm

Thanks to both of you guys for replying. Yes, syncing Voyager to MIDI clock is different from adjusting synth parameters via MIDI CC. BTW, the SoundTower Voyager PlugSE MIDI plug-in allows tweaking of all Voyager panel parameters from within DAW (and has a pretty user interface to boot.) Ummagumma, you might find this useful if you want to send MIDI cc's to Voyager from your DAW, coz the parameters are all mapped out within the plug-in and presented graphically as a virtual Voyager panel.

https://www.soundtower.com/moog/voyager_plugse.html

Does anyone from MoogMusic ever swing by the forum? If so, please comment on ability to sync time-based Voyager parameters to MIDI clock in.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:49 am

hey, you're right...

sorry, I just skipped thru the menu & assumed you could actually do more with the CC commands!

otherwise, it looks like you can use a mod bus to sync OSC2 or OSC3 to the LFO, which is MIDI clockable

you may also be able to do something with the program shaping options? it will use any of the OSC to shape something.

SickLefty

Post by SickLefty » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:10 pm

Thanks Ummagumma. I'll try using LFO as intermediary between MIDI clock and Osc3 fequency.

SickLefty

Post by SickLefty » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:27 pm

From the Moog website:

"Can the Voyager LFO's sync to MIDI clock?
No, but it can be retriggered by MIDI Note On messages or by divisions of a MIDI Clock signal.
The Voyager’s signal path is 100% analog, including its LFO and envelopes. Therefore, there is no way to make the LFO rate sync precisely to a digital signal. However, if the LFO sync knob is set to MIDI, the LFO will be retriggered at each MIDI clock division, in a manner similar to hard sync on the oscillators. "

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:59 pm

That's odd: I was replying to Stiiiiiive last night, and I didn't see SickLefty's post until today?

anyway, hope it's somehow helpful

there is also a free voyager controller on ctlr.org:

https://ctrlr.org/moog-voyager-vst-au-m ... oller-1-0/